Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 11:48 AM   #3886
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Oddometer: 5,528
Sweet revenge

gearing back up,

broken water mains:

"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
DR. Rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #3887
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Back on land

(NOW! with actual motorcycle riding content! )

The Whittier tunnel was waiting for us after we disembarked the ferry. And we had to wait for it. It's a one-way at a time vehicle and railroad tunnel, the longest of it's type in North America, surpassed only by Boston's big dig project.

Ride along with us...

Those turn-outs house fire trucks.
"I came into this game for the action, the excitement; go anywhere, travel light... get in, get out... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form." --Robert De Niro as Archibald 'Harry' Tuttle in Brazil, 1985. The Mobius Trip index | Spot tracking live 4/18-5/4/13 | AdventureLoft™ Tent Space
Old 01-29-2011, 12:17 PM   #3888
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

On the other side of the tunnel

we decided to check out the Portage Glacier visitor's center to see the movie that Phil recommended we see at the beginning of our northern Mobius adventures back in May (recall that it was closed for the Memorial day weekend)

We paid the fee, hustled into the theater just as it was starting, and watched the film...

review: I think it would have been a good introduction, but having been knee deep in the areas they were showing, it seemed, well... anti-climactic.
Especially when the Portage glacier has receded so far.

Old 01-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #3889
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

We stopped for gas

and ran into Brenden (of Motoquest fame) and Nora, who are now living in NYC -- we stupidly didn't take pichers there, (I think they were going camping at Seward). But we did get celebrity photos of them at our ADV winter party last weekend:

It was another beautiful ride up the Turnagain,

"Beluga whales... little water marshmallows... delicious, taste like chicken."
Old 01-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #3890
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Our triumphant return

to Motoquest Headquarters:

Little did we know we'd been tracked by the eye in the sky by our other Anchorage friends,

Gary & Deb!
Old 01-29-2011, 12:42 PM   #3891
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Day 14 stats & map

We followed Gary & Deb out to their place. We'd accepted their gracious invitation to hang out, wash and wrench the bikes, and enjoy their company for the next day 'till our flight back home.

Old 01-29-2011, 07:54 PM   #3892
rugbyrtcwka
railroader

Oddometer: 512
You know

If your next leg is through the prairies and your approaching Winnipeg look my wife and I up and we'll make sure you are comfortable and fed well.

We've got a beach cottage where you can kick back for a spell.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #3893
mtnman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Way to go, another great adventure!
mtnman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:25 PM   #3894
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 544
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnman View Post
Way to go, another great adventure!

+1
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 03:39 PM   #3895
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 1,933
finally caught up...

great end to the current leg, congrats on making it back to your starting place safely. (yes, i know it happened a while ago)

since the gear / equipment is such a big part of your continuing trip... how did the tires you used for this leg (Mefo Stone Masters, right?) stand up to LDF's heavy throttle hand, and your constant abuse of them? did you happen to get any pictures of how well they lasted through this leg before you flew out of town? would you use the same tires again?

as usual... astounding reporting, it just keeps getting better, leg after leg; can't wait for the next one to start.

Old 02-01-2011, 06:07 PM   #3896
DR. Rock OP
Part of the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugbyrtcwka View Post
If your next leg is through the prairies and your approaching Winnipeg look my wife and I up and we'll make sure you are comfortable and fed well.

We've got a beach cottage where you can kick back for a spell.
Thank you kindly for the offer... our next leg will end tentatively in Edmonton, AB... (late May '11), and the one after that in Idaho Falls, ID (Sept. '11) But you never know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaia View Post
...since the gear / equipment is such a big part of your continuing trip... how did the tires you used for this leg (Mefo Stone Masters, right?) stand up to LDF's heavy throttle hand, and your constant abuse of them? did you happen to get any pictures of how well they lasted through this leg before you flew out of town? would you use the same tires again?...
You'll get some photos of the tires when I am able to post the next day hanging out with Gary & Deb. We'll prolly run these tires to Edmonton, and then they'll be toast. They saw a lot of abuse, and more pavement than we'd liked to have ridden. They held up well, but I'm not sure they're worth the money for the long haul. Likely we'll go back to D606's, or MT-21's. We're talkin' rear tires here... fronts wear so slow it's worth putting on the most aggressive hard compound we can get our mitts on. I dig the desert IT, mainly for it's illegal bad-boy status.
Old 02-01-2011, 11:26 PM   #3897
racergirl479
Flying Merkel

Oddometer: 571
Ive been playing catch up for about a week now.
Love your ride report! Excellent details! looks like yall are having a blast!!
my boyfriend and i are planning a trip this summer starting in mid TN to at least colorado, hopefully california... being a noob, not to riding but to trips like this, what would you suggest the most or has been the biggest problem you two have faced...?
racergirl479 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:21 PM   #3898
DingWeed
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
Thanks for the ridalong....Fantastick pics and RR

Scott
DingWeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 06:31 PM   #3899
Zodiac
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 30,847
Simply wonderful pics D&F. Living vicariously I say...... is better than watching the tube any day.....
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 08:30 PM   #3900
La Donna Fugata
You're not the boss of me

Oddometer: 153
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by racergirl479 View Post
what would you suggest the most or has been the biggest problem you two have faced...?
Anticipating the unexpected . Shit will happen: flat tires, broken stator, being towed on a tow rope, broken chain, unanticipated snow storm, riding through a lightening storm just to name a few. You have to be prepared in your mind for the unexpected. There's always a solution for everything, you may just have to find it and always, always remember to have fun...... after all it is an adventure

Thanks for following along.
La Donna Fugata is offline   Reply With Quote