Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #46
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreadPirateKermit View Post
Titus was amazing. I really wish we had been able to ride the whole road from the East end all the way; hopefully the next time I'm in D.V. the weather will be a little more cooperative and I will.

Riding out to the Racetrack was just crazy. This is the second time this year I've ridden on a bike two-up, and the first time was probably the first time in over 5 years. I trust Ted on gravel - he has a lot more experience that I do - but still, half the time I felt like we were just about to biff. It did not help that his Rich's seat, while very comfortable, is built for Tamara in the back. not me. I kept sliding down and into Ted. In hindsight, I wish I'd ridden my own bike just for the experience.

Ted - can you post a zoomed in view of your axle nut from the east-end Titus picture?
Here's my 2 cents on this, on the rare times we have to ride " 2 up" with one of our riding buddies , GET OVER IT and set like you would want your to girlfriend to set. Get close , hang on to them , not leaning back holding on to some hand rail. As my buddy once said to me when I found myself in just such a spot, " grab some fat , hang on". Great RR and video !!!!
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 07:10 PM   #47
tedder OP
irregular

Oddometer: 8,797
Zabriskie Point

We rode over to Zabriskie Point, which is sort of a small version of South Dakota's Badlands. (see Ted's pictures in the Badlands)

Tamara

Tamara

Tamara

Tamara

Ted

Zabriskie Point

Zabriskie Point
tedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #48
tedder OP
irregular

Artists Drive

Much of Death Valley was closed because of recent rain and flood damage. We were able to ride Artists Drive, though. There are a lot of mineral colors in a very short distance. The road is one-way, which made it feel like a go-kart track.

Road and Artists Drive

Colorful terrain

Terrain

Alluvial plain, Death Valley, and mountains

DL1000 and Artists Palette

Artists Drive

Artists Palette

Artists Palette

Ken's DL1000

Ted

Terrain
Old 01-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #49
tedder OP
irregular

Badwater

Obviously, we had to stop at Badwater, one of the lowest places in the world. There isn't much to see or do, but it is weird to think about being below sea level.

Tamara and Ken pointing to sea level

Ken at Badwater

Ted and Tamara
Old 01-24-2011, 01:22 AM   #50
tedder OP
irregular

Puncture repair

No adventure is complete without a few things going wrong. The second event of the trip involved repairing Ted's well-worn rear tire. There were two holes next to each other, and each hole needed two plugs. A few other plugs were lost in the process, but four plugs finally held.

Finding the punctures

Finally found the punctures

Ted, repairing tire

Ken's DL1000, waiting patiently for Ted's DL650

Ken's DL1000

Will this plug hold? (no)
Old 01-24-2011, 06:44 AM   #51
tedder OP
irregular

Coyote

While stopped for the tire repair, a curious coyote checked us out. It was close enough to easily take pictures.

Coyote

Coyote

Coyote

Coyote

Coyote

one more after this.
Old 01-25-2011, 07:25 AM   #52
DreadPirateKermit
Ribit.

Oddometer: 371
Coyote

It was amazing how completely unafraid of us the coyote was. I've run across them in the wild before, and generally they look at you and skirt off the other direction. This one got very close, and kept circling around to look at us. He finally wandered off, but kept stopping and looking back at us.

While Tamara and I took pictures, Ted was struggling with tire plugs. I'm really surprised that tire made it home, because it had more plugs that Donald Trumps head.

'04 Suzuki DL1000 Blue
IBA #257 IBR '03, '07 Ten 'n Ten, '10
"Excluding diamonds and Vicodin, there’s nothing more precious than children." Ella Morton, The Elegant Guide to Children
DreadPirateKermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2011, 07:47 AM   #53
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,322
Great Ride Report

I'm making lots of notes on your report. Last year I transited DV from Lone Pine thru the main highway, Furnace Creek and on to Pahrump.

This year I plan on coming from the east. My counterclockwise loop will bring me north thru Mojave and I 'had' planned on going up north thru DV and onto Beatty but now I think went I come out of Mojave I'll go northwest to Trona and to trace your route.

Unfortunately, it appears I have to take a bigger loop around Fort Irwin as the map says No Travel. When I zoom in tight on Street n Trips there are roads in there which would have made it a shorter more direct route to Trona but I guess it's a no go?

I plan on going thru that area in the first week in June so I hope after staying at Beatty I can go west and make it thru Tioga Pass. Last year it wasn't open when I came down from the north in late May.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #54
tedder OP
irregular

and, finally, the end of the ride report:

The trip to LA

After fixing the flat tire, we rode back to LA by way of Shoshone (home of $4.39 gas, most expensive of the whole trip) and Baker. In Baker we stopped for dinner at The Mad Greek. Either we were hungry, or the food was damn good. Considering how long the Mad Greek has been a Baker institution, it could very well be the latter. Being the only Greek food on a well-traveled corridor is also a brilliant business/marketing move.
Old 01-25-2011, 10:05 PM   #55
tedder OP
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron from BC View Post
Unfortunately, it appears I have to take a bigger loop around Fort Irwin as the map says No Travel. When I zoom in tight on Street n Trips there are roads in there which would have made it a shorter more direct route to Trona but I guess it's a no go?
You can't go from Ft. Irwin to Trona by the crow. There is a mountain range and a military base in the way.

tedder screwed with this post 01-27-2011 at 08:33 AM
Old 01-27-2011, 07:45 PM   #56
TeamReader
Lee

Oddometer: 76
Good RR, do you like the Contour Camera?

Nice ride, the coyotes are "tame" because people feed them from their cars. I have had one follow me for over a mile looking for a Dorito or something.

I liked the GPS window of the Contour videos, how do you like camera otherwise, seems to have a good picture. Is the lens still plastic or did they upgrade to glass to reduce scratching?
2008 R1200GS with a ton of farkles
TeamReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #57
tedder OP
irregular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeamReader View Post
I liked the GPS window of the Contour videos, how do you like camera otherwise, seems to have a good picture. Is the lens still plastic or did they upgrade to glass to reduce scratching?
I think it's plastic. I had it out but didn't even notice. The GPS feature of the Contour is cool, but it doesn't persist when the video is edited in a good editor. I'm most excited about the bluetooth connection that is coming soon.
Old 01-27-2011, 09:19 PM   #58
TeamReader
Lee

Oddometer: 76
Thanks for the feedback

To bad the GPS info doesnt stay with the video. Have you tried iMovie on a Mac, I think it has metadata that can store location info.

FYI be careful cleaning the lens, if it is still plastic I have hear of them getting swirls from even one cleaning with a cloth, not sure how to clean them without risking damage, I would think lens fluid and lens tissues.
2008 R1200GS with a ton of farkles
TeamReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 01:35 PM   #59
sealsam
Sam...I am.

Oddometer: 1,579
What the hec? I'm 300 mi from DV, and never been there. Your pics are fantastic. Great report, thanks for sharing.
sealsam is offline   Reply With Quote