Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
Questor OP
More Undestructable

Oddometer: 4,048
Questor and Motoadventuregal goto Alaska

Hello All.

In June 2010, Motoadventuregal and myself were able to take a 31 day trip up to Alaska - and back.

A self supported motorcycle trip to Alaska had been on our mutual "things to do before you die" list for many years, and things just worked out in such a way that we both were able to be at the right place at the right time, and were able to take the time to do such a big trip properly.

I had just recently moved to Idaho for a job, and Motoadventuregal (MAG) was able to complete her trip of Central and South America in time so we could do the trip together.

In total, the trip lasted 31 days, and was 6135 miles from our start in Idaho Falls, ID to Dawson (Yukon Territories) for the "Dust to Dawson" motorcycle gathering, and then back down to Redmond Oregon in time for the BMW National rally.

The route looks like this on a map.

I rode "Tiger" my 04 KTM 950 Adventure S, and MAG rode her "Twisted DR-650" a 03 Suzuki DR-650.
Both of these bikes have many thousands of hard miles on them, but they are well looked after, and we trusted the bikes. We would have to. The Yukon territory and Alaska are really BIG. (At the time I had no idea how big...) I've done many long distance trips before, but somehow, distances are bigger and more remote up there...

To save money, and be more flexible in terms of dining and lodging options, we would camp every night and cook our own food.

Over the course of the trip we soaked in natural Hot Springs (one of my favorite things to do), and saw huge gold dredges. We rode the Icefield Parkway, the Alaskan Highway, the Klondike highway, the Hanes Highway the Stewart Cassiar Highway, and a section of the Yellow Head Highway. We would be attacked by huge mosquitoes, see bison, even larger mosquitoes, grizzly bears, moose, and bald eagles. We would come to understand the vastness of British Columbia, the Yukon, and Alaska, and experience the endless daylight of the high northern latitudes in Summer. I would have a high speed motorcycle crash that MAG managed to get on video, and she would have mechanical failures resulting in lots of smoke and oil everywhere.

All total I took over 2400 pictures. That's about 80 pictures a day, or approximately one pictures every eight minutes. But don't worry, I'll only bore you with the good ones.

So get ready for another Questor and MotoAdventureGal Adventure.

Q~

Questor screwed with this post 02-06-2011 at 11:16 AM
Questor is offline   Reply With Quote