Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 PM   #6946
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
Thanks man. I got to about page 40 ans stopped, alot of repeat questions def cant do all 463 hahahah. I will post up some pics soon. Hoping to add some heated grips so I can do some longer rides!
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:47 PM   #6947
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Oddometer: 25,739
Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
Thanks man. I got to about page 40 ans stopped, alot of repeat questions def cant do all 463 hahahah. I will post up some pics soon. Hoping to add some heated grips so I can do some longer rides!
Best $25 you'll ever spend on gear....

note to self~ LEARN LIVE LOVE
Mulekick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 05:50 PM   #6948
RiverRatRider13
Motorcycle Chum

Oddometer: 335
Wiring pretty strait forward for them?
RiverRatRider13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 06:09 PM   #6949
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverRatRider13 View Post
Wiring pretty strait forward for them?

Oh yeah...I have mine wired to a key hot. Eliminates me forgetting to switch them off. I also didn't bother with a resistor either. I wrapped the bar on the clutch side with electrical tape to insulate it. I don't notice any temperature difference between the two sides. Makes the wiring that much more simple with less chance of a bad connection. When you get to doing it and you need pointers just post here. One of us can walk you through it.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:56 PM   #6950
Noah M
www.nouturns.tv

Oddometer: 69
Ive got a 93 DR350 with Cobra Exhaust.

The neighbors are beginning to complain.
Anyone want to trade for stock exhaust?
I hate to do it, but I have to keep the neighbors happy...im in an association
Noah M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:43 PM   #6951
LawrenceTheCat
3rd,Pinit,DumpdaClutch

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulekick View Post
Oh yeah...I have mine wired to a key hot. Eliminates me forgetting to switch them off. I also didn't bother with a resistor either. I wrapped the bar on the clutch side with electrical tape to insulate it. I don't notice any temperature difference between the two sides. Makes the wiring that much more simple with less chance of a bad connection. When you get to doing it and you need pointers just post here. One of us can walk you through it.
RiverRat; Yes, you have to wire them to a switched power source, probably orange on your bike. While I was in there (under the inst cluster), I added a head/tail cut off switch, so I'm not as obvious in getting back to the asphalt if needed:) My bike is kick, but you probably have a similar op, if you wish. Just study the wiring diagram. Good time to make power more accessable too, should you want to run a heated vest, or a gps.
Old 01-30-2011, 12:02 AM   #6952
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LawrenceTheCat View Post
RiverRat; Yes, you have to wire them to a switched power source, probably orange on your bike. While I was in there (under the inst cluster), I added a head/tail cut off switch, so I'm not as obvious in getting back to the asphalt if needed:) My bike is kick, but you probably have a similar op, if you wish. Just study the wiring diagram. Good time to make power more accessable too, should you want to run a heated vest, or a gps.

and I will add that adding an accessory plug is super easy. There is an extra wire they used in the Aussie market for a running light that isn't on the US bikes. It's brown I think if memory serves me..I can look.. and is located on the right side of the cluster..kinda near the blinker.You'll see it. I just used it as my hot and used the fork bolt that the reflector attaches to for a ground.

Thanks Lawerance..Now you have me wanting to put a cut off switch for my lights....

Old 01-30-2011, 05:34 AM   #6953
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
It appears both my proposed purchases have crapped out.

No new prospects at this time.

Looking for a '98 or '99, anybody have one they're looking to sell?

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:15 AM   #6954
lstuckey1
Ret. Pro Bench Racer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
and I will add that adding an accessory plug is super easy. There is an extra wire they used in the Aussie market for a running light that isn't on the US bikes. It's brown I think if memory serves me..I can look.. and is located on the right side of the cluster..kinda near the blinker.You'll see it. I just used it as my hot and used the fork bolt that the reflector attaches to for a ground.

Thanks Lawerance..Now you have me wanting to put a cut off switch for my lights....
That wire is a brown and black pair terminating in a plastic connector. The brown is ignition controlled and the black wire is a ground. I cut off the plastic connector and crimped on bullet connectors to plug in my GPS. There is tons of room behind the headlight shroud to conceal a cigarette lighter style outlet
lstuckey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 06:21 AM   #6955
EastBoundAndDown
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedo66 View Post

That stinks. You've still got a couple months until the nice weather hits, so wait it out. I just did a quick search of all my resources and only found the one on NEDB still. Not sure if you checked the classifieds on this site though. In august when I was looking I actually had 6-8 of these puppies within a 2.5hr radius.

KTM200, GS500E, Concours 1000
EastBoundAndDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:13 AM   #6956
Speedo66
Transient

Oddometer: 6,119
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastBoundAndDown View Post
That stinks. You've still got a couple months until the nice weather hits, so wait it out. I just did a quick search of all my resources and only found the one on NEDB still. Not sure if you checked the classifieds on this site though. In august when I was looking I actually had 6-8 of these puppies within a 2.5hr radius.
Thanks, good advice. Waiting's hard since there's not much to do, bike wise, with so much freaking snow on the ground around here.

Speedo66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 07:36 AM   #6957
Bob Onit
Rocket Surgeon

Oddometer: 1,519
Quote:

In case you haven't tried it yet.
http://www.searchtempest.com/
Good luck!
Bob Onit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 08:06 AM   #6958
LawrenceTheCat
3rd,Pinit,DumpdaClutch

Oddometer: 148
Quote:

No prob, Mulekick. I found the right branch (headlight, tail, and front brake- how convienient and sneaky) of switched hot wire by accident, in my search for the lead powering lightly used illumination. My heaters lacked any specs as to wattage, so I didn't want to take chances and overload any 16 guage wires. My bike had a 14g coming from the switch, but after the plug connector, it dropped to 16g before a factory metal crimp that divides it into two or three 16s. I traced each, and found one that went into the right handlebar harness, it must have a crimped y inside, because it comes back out to power the afore-mentioned lighting. I avoided that one for my power tap, but it revealed a great place to connect a switch. Might be nice for you guys (and girls) with the magic button, no need for the headlight when firing up or working on wiring. Yes, that's it officer, I wasn't trying to elude you, I just forgot to turn it back on! BTW, the rear brake light still works with the toggle switch off, it's on a different branch of the key switched hot.
Doing all this gave me a much clearer picture of my bike's wiring, now to tackle my new project. I picked up a 90 DR650, one of the Dakar-looking units. I should be able to breeze through it this time. I'll never have another DS without warmers! Mulekick, you are from a land down under? I must have missed that. G'day, man. And I envy you.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:20 AM   #6959
Noah M
www.nouturns.tv

Oddometer: 69
Quote:

I have a '96 se I could let go for cheap..but im on the other side of the country.
I'm sure will pop up by this riding season mate, just be patient and a good one will pop up for sure
Noah M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:10 PM   #6960
Mulekick
2.7 on Fu Man Chu

Quote:
Originally Posted by lstuckey1 View Post
That wire is a brown and black pair terminating in a plastic connector. The brown is ignition controlled and the black wire is a ground. I cut off the plastic connector and crimped on bullet connectors to plug in my GPS. There is tons of room behind the headlight shroud to conceal a cigarette lighter style outlet

You are right. I did the grip heaters and the accessory plug at the same time. I mixed it up in my head. I used the fork bolt with a ring connector for the grip heaters and T-Spliced into one of the heavier gauge wires in the cluster that was also key hot for it and the brown/black combo for my accessory plug.

ps~ No Lawrence I'm in Okla. I was just stating the difference in the wiring for the 2 markets....

I would love to spend some time down under though!...

I agree that being able to turn off the lights while having the power on would be super handy at times. I've run my battery down more than once dinking around with something.