Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #16
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,654
It's pretty easy in Michigan. Just pick up papers from SOS/DMV, cops verify VIN, back to SOS/DMV and good to go.

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
Old 01-29-2011, 03:08 PM   #17
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,403
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0N View Post
Every state has a different time limit... which you can ignore for a while. Sure, you'll get warnings from cops if/when you get pulled over but a ticket is doubtful because the bike is legally on the road. What ticket would they write you? Unregistered bike? Just don't get pulled over by the same cops a few times!
They can write you up for not having transfered the title within thirty days which is a legal requirement. Just like they can write you up for having expired tabs. In Washington, you can be fined $25 on the 31st day(16th for in state title transfer) with $2 a day thereafter up to a maximum of $100. The way states & localities groveling for revenue these days you may or may not get a ticket. At the same time, it's a procedural thing, not a moving violation so even if you did get fined it still wouldn't hit your driving record. And I'll bet that you'd get hit here at the licensing office in Washington for the $100 fine when you wait a year to transfer title. My bikes cost about $50 a year to register so it's cheaper to transfer title on time. Since the max fine is $100 it might make sense to wait a year on more expensive vehicles.

I always wait about 28 days to transfer out state titles. May as well get the "free" month, eh?

In my case the guy gave me a written warning. My situation was a little different though. I was working in California at the time so the bike was down there for a while and I'd just ridden it home a couple of weeks prior.

Disclaimer: All states vary.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:56 PM   #18
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
The CHP actively looks for vehicles with out of state plates and if you have a CA drivers license or the local PD has noticed you over a period of time on his/her beat, will ask you leading questions about the bikes status. I would love to hear from some of our better legal minds (or illegal as the case may be).

Seems to me that if the bike has a current license from wherever and you just show them the papers and shut up, there isn't much to cite you for.
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #19
kenny61
Crazy Idiot

Oddometer: 24,412
I'm guessing the bike you registered was under 300cc or more than 15 years old?

Bottom of page 2

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf

Go forth and be a force of the awesome!
kenny61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 12:03 PM   #20
D0N OP
Banned

Oddometer: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny61 View Post
I'm guessing the bike you registered was under 300cc or more than 15 years old?

Bottom of page 2

http://dmv.vermont.gov/sites/dmv/fil...structions.pdf
You are correct on both counts.

Still, if you have a bike newer than 1996 and over 300cc's... make out the forms and send it in. If they can't help you, they're not going to cash your check. You've got nothing to lose.
D0N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 04:16 PM   #21
Sir Not Appearing
That's no ordinary rabbit

Oddometer: 1,101
I wish I'd known about this before I went through ITS for my EX500. I bought it without a title and they charged about $150 or so in 2009 for bikes over 15 years old. I'm not sure what Indiana's laws are on riding on out-of-state plates, but I rode on the Maine plates until the expired in 2010 and was never hassled.
2003 Ford Focus SVT
Sir Not Appearing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 01:18 PM   #22
D0N OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Not Appearing View Post
I wish I'd known about this before I went through ITS for my EX500..
ITS is expensive! They do the bonded title thing. They wanted $255 from me to title my 1984 cycle. I ended up doing it myself through Vermont for $89.

It would have been much less but I was honest on the amount that I paid for the bike!

The 6% VT state sales tax on the $800 purchase price ended up costing me more than the registration fees did.

It's almost 9% state sales tax here in NY so I don't feel too bad. I could have just as easily told VT that I paid $200 for the bike instead of $800 and saved myself about $35-$40.

taxes suck
Old 02-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #23
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,156
It's worth pointing out again that this is only workable for vehicles older than 15 years.

Even in the enlightened state of VT, there's no way to get a title for a newer vehicle.

Quote:
If I am trying to register a vehicle that is more than fifteen (15) years old what do I use for a title?
Your "bill of sale".
How can I change the ownership of a vehicle without a title?
This cannot be done without a title unless the vehicle is not titleable. If the vehicle is more than fifteen (15) years old this can be accomplished using the "bill of sale".
I can see where VT would be happy to collect the cash from out-of-staters, so I suspect they'll leave this loophole open for as long as they can.

BUT: has anyone successfully gotten a home state title and plate after doing this? I would, for example, be very interested to find out what the draconian shrews down at the Indiana BMV would do with a Vermont registration... they're well known to have no mercy here whatsoever.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 05:03 PM   #24
D0N OP
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwringer View Post
Even in the enlightened state of VT, there's no way to get a title for a newer vehicle.

Have you actually tried or are you just poo-pooing the idea?

I realize what you've read may say we don't title bikes newer than 1996 and larger than 300cc's but try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Like I said above, they will not cash your check if they can't help you. You will get the check back in the mail.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:30 PM   #25
bwringer
Gimpy, Yet Alacritous

Oddometer: 2,156
Quote:
Originally Posted by D0N View Post
Have you actually tried or are you just poo-pooing the idea?

I realize what you've read may say we don't title bikes newer than 1996 and larger than 300cc's but try it. You might be pleasantly surprised.

Like I said above, they will not cash your check if they can't help you. You will get the check back in the mail.

I'm just going by what is stated on the Vermont DMV web site. Hell, I've never even been to Vermont.
"Do not crinkle your food wrappers loudly. Be considerate to others, or I will bite your torso and give you a disease."
bwringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 12:49 PM   #26
captain pabst
b00n

Oddometer: 23
i will confirm this works, just got a plate for my 1997 kawasaki kx250
captain pabst is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:22 PM   #27
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,554
Quote:

BUT: has anyone successfully gotten a home state title and plate after doing this? I would, for example, be very interested to find out what the draconian shrews down at the Indiana BMV would do with a Vermont registration... they're well known to have no mercy here whatsoever.
Yeah, I'm curious about this as well. I have no doubt that i can get a VT plate, but wondering if i can get a Indiana title. (all my shit is titled/plated in indiana, not ohio.)

I got a mint CB200 with no title, for free. If i can start riding it around for 89 bucks, I'm in. Worst case i'll just keep renewing VT plates.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 06:01 AM   #28
leejosepho
Sure, I can do that!

Oddometer: 485
Quote:
Has anyone successfully gotten a home state title and plate after doing this? I would, for example, be very interested to find out what the draconian shrews down at the Indiana BMV would do with a Vermont registration... they're well known to have no mercy here whatsoever.
They might claim they had never even heard of Vermont and then offer a reminder, "This is Indiana." I used to live there, and I am absolutely convinced those people take classes where they are continually taught their never-ending ways to make people have to go get another piece of paper or whatever and then come back another day.
Old 11-01-2011, 08:00 AM   #29
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,729
Don't forget that there are some states that do not issue titles for vehicles over a certain age. I believe New Hampshire and Rhode Island are amoungst that group. I bought a 1986 Honda Reflex (TLR200) when I lived in Connecticut (early 90s). The bike was from New Hampshire. When I moved to Illinois, I was able to register and title the bike, in IL, without issue (no NH title). More recently, I bought a 1989 Honda NX125 that was registered in Rhode Island. Again, I was able to register and title the NX, in IL, without a RI title.

I'm not saying that going thru the VT DMV is a waste of time. I'm just saying that for some motorcycles, not having a title is not a major cause for concern.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 01:05 PM   #30
scratchdesk
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bronco638 View Post
Don't forget that there are some states that do not issue titles for vehicles over a certain age. I believe New Hampshire and Rhode Island are amoungst that group. I bought a 1986 Honda Reflex (TLR200) when I lived in Connecticut (early 90s). The bike was from New Hampshire. When I moved to Illinois, I was able to register and title the bike, in IL, without issue (no NH title). More recently, I bought a 1989 Honda NX125 that was registered in Rhode Island. Again, I was able to register and title the NX, in IL, without a RI title.

I'm not saying that going thru the VT DMV is a waste of time. I'm just saying that for some motorcycles, not having a title is not a major cause for concern.
Hiya Bronco, I was wondering if I could ask you a few things about how you got your older biked titled. I also live in IL and have been getting the run around on getting my old Honda C110 titled. My email is scratchdesk (at) gmail.com else you could shoot me a message here. Thank you sir.
scratchdesk is offline   Reply With Quote