ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 07:07 PM   #421
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Besides the Weight Savings, Im sold on the EXTRA Amp/Hour Rating & the CCA's
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:14 PM   #422
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Im liking mine, I don't have to worry about putting it on the tender. ( that seems to be how i kill batteries, I never bother plugging them in. )

I looked at TurnTech? as well for Lithium options, but they were more expensive, less amp hours and the bigger ones were not in a sweet package like the shorai ( they were just some heatshrinkwrap )
Old 01-31-2011, 11:37 PM   #423
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Oddometer: 1,785
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
Im liking mine, I don't have to worry about putting it on the tender. ( that seems to be how i kill batteries, I never bother plugging them in. )
That seemed to be my problem too - or so I thought - until I started plugging them into a Battery Tender religiously, with little effect on life. I say that with respect to all Lead-Acid batteries, NOT the Shorai...have yet to plug it in and so far, don't see a need(at least, on my 990...).
hilslamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 06:54 AM   #424
Johnf3
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post

I looked at TurnTech? as well for Lithium options, but they were more expensive, less amp hours and the bigger ones were not in a sweet package like the shorai ( they were just some heatshrinkwrap )
Don't need a "big" one. I am running the 5ah TurnTech. Amp hours are more an indication of battery reserve, not cranking power, and my "little" TurnTech works great on my 950.
Johnf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #425
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
My Shorai 18AH is setting in my '03, off the charger, for 6 weeks while I'm in Hawaii. It'll be a pretty good test. It was fully charged when I left (14.0v). It is fully connected, but I pulled the clock fuse to eliminate the only parasitc drain (1.5ma).

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 09:16 PM   #426
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
What is the next best option beside Shorai?
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 07:36 AM   #427
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Oddometer: 7,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
What is the next best option beside Shorai?
Keener:

You're in Canada so not sure you have these guys, but I have a Battery's Plus (their better model) that I paid $70 for in December. So far so good. It starts the bike on 30F mornings regularly. I know I'm "old school" but $70 is about the right price to pay for a battery. It's just a fricking battery for God's sake. Some of these folks are paying $200 for a Shorai (or close to it) or OEM batteries. It's a battery.

T.

Infracaninophile screwed with this post 04-13-2011 at 09:15 AM
Infracaninophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 08:54 AM   #428
Yellow Pig OP
Allergic to Asphalt!

Oddometer: 7,223
+1 on the Batteries Plus AGM battery.

I've had the same battery on two bikes (originally on my 950 ADV, and now on my Super Enduro) and it's been flawless.

I do run a battery tender in the winter.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:05 AM   #429
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infracaninophile View Post
I know I'm "old school" but $70 is about the right price to pay for a battery. It's just a fricking battery for God's sake. Some of these folks are paying $200 for a Shorai (or close to it) or OEM batteries. It's a battery.
With all due respect, you're clearly uninformed about the differences - AGM lead acid batteries are indeed "old school" and the contrast is starkly lesser when compared to a LiFeO2 battery in any of the critical parameters - cranking power, weight, self-discharge rate, and size; in order of priorities(top to bottom).
Old 04-13-2011, 09:14 AM   #430
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
With all due respect, you're clearly uninformed about the differences - AGM lead acid batteries are indeed "old school" and the contrast is starkly lesser when compared to a LiFeO2 battery in any of the critical parameters - cranking power, weight, self-discharge rate, and size; in order of priorities(top to bottom).
Hil:

I concede all of the facts that you stated are true, 100% true about the difference between the old and new style batteries. So I am not "uninformed". And I am an engineer by trade.

The point I was trying to make, sort of, is that it's just a battery. Meaning, to me, all it is required to do is to start the motor when I turn the key and push the start button. I don't care if it's made of unobtanium, marshmallow peeps, or lead from recycled space shuttles. To me, it's just an energy source that starts my bike. Once my bike is started then the fun begins and I move on. I am not in love with my battery and don't care what it is made of. It just needs to start my bike.

I weigh a little > 200 lbs. My 950, I'm guessing as I don't know, weighs about 500 pounds. So I could care less if my battery weighs 2 lbs instead of 8 as it's so irrelevant in the bigger picture FOR ME, that I don't care. But what does matter to me is I can get a battery for $70 that will likely work for 1-2-3 years and get me on the road to having fun with my bike.

Summary:

- The battery is the tool that makes my bike come to life. It's not the part of the bike that makes me have fun. I don't care about it any more than I care about the color of the gasoline I use.

Tom
Old 04-13-2011, 09:30 AM   #431
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Oddometer: 6,413
Quote:
- The battery is the tool that makes my bike come to life. It's not the part of the bike that makes me have fun. I don't care about it any more than I care about the color of the gasoline I use.

I get where you're coming from. However, a few things that appeal to me about the Shorai: not having to worry about charge, as I store the bike outside (no battery tender), sometimes without use for a few weeks; the good aH for accessories; the good CCA for winter starts. There are other batteries that offer this. Cheap batteries have pissed me off sufficiently in the past (failures, insufficient CCA, battery tenders needed etc.) for me to want a Shorai, but if it ain't broke at $70 don't fix it, I get that.
jamesbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:34 AM   #432
hilslamer
2XRedheadedstepchild

Quote:
Hil:

I concede all of the facts that you stated are true, 100% true about the difference between the old and new style batteries. So I am not "uninformed". And I am an engineer by trade.

The point I was trying to make, sort of, is that it's just a battery. Meaning, to me, all it is required to do is to start the motor when I turn the key and push the start button. I don't care if it's made of unobtanium, marshmallow peeps, or lead from recycled space shuttles. To me, it's just an energy source that starts my bike. Once my bike is started then the fun begins and I move on. I am not in love with my battery and don't care what it is made of. It just needs to start my bike.

I weigh a little > 200 lbs. My 950, I'm guessing as I don't know, weighs about 500 pounds. So I could care less if my battery weighs 2 lbs instead of 8 as it's so irrelevant in the bigger picture FOR ME, that I don't care. But what does matter to me is I can get a battery for $70 that will likely work for 1-2-3 years and get me on the road to having fun with my bike.

Summary:

Tom
What does being an engineer have to do with it? That description sounds a lot more logical to me than your first comment.

Having had five different AGM lead acid batteries over ~35,000 miles strand me in various ways over about 3 years, even after having been tended with a genuine BatteryTender during anything longer than a few days of sitting, I welcome the stability and steadfastness of the Shorai. I don't live in extreme cold but I do ride often and make short, hot trips in the desert heat; AGM batteries just do not tolerate it well.

On my 450EXC, getting rid of ~3+ pounds hanging nearly out at the end of the subframe yielded a perceptable difference in agility and handling. On the Adventure I have a Shorai in, yes, the difference is a small percentage but it can't hurt either.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM   #433
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 925
I just asked a simple question guys. What is the next best option?

Say Shorai reminds me of my mother in law.
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 11:21 AM   #434
Infracaninophile
Finding My Way..

Hil:

I mentioned being an engineer to mean that I am used to working in environments with lots of choices. I happen to be an IT engineer and work with satellites, servers, networks, complex storage arrays, etc.. in a new technology group within HP. I/We see a LOT of vendors tooting their horns for new features and ideas that may be beneficial to someone in some vertical niche, but often have no added benefit to what we intend to do with the product. In that case, Nice-To-Have is a lot different than Must-Have.

I will certainly agree that the Shorai is likely to be the new best thing. Its light, fits well, and so far most of the evidence shows it works. I have followed this thread and others like it with interest since getting my 2nd 950 last December and my bike came with a dodgy battery. And I was just about ready to pull the trigger on a Shorai when I heard that they were coming out with a new version with stronger terminals, etc.. At that point I just needed a working battery and YellowPig (who I trust his judgement) and others said the Battery's Plus was fine so I grabbed one. And it was cheap. And I was pimping my 950 and sending my paycheck each week to KTM Twins and Touratech and Blackdog and .....

Because I am literally bombarded with new technology at work on a daily basis I tend to "hang back" a bit. Being an early adopter is not in my nature any longer. I'll let others do that. I like to be Leading Edge and not Bleeding Edge. :-)

Glad the Shorai works on your lightweight KTM as that makes total sense.

I remember my dad paying over $800 because he just HAD to have a CD player when they first came out. Two years later I had one too, for $125 and mine was better than his. I am patient.

Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
What does being an engineer have to do with it? That description sounds a lot more logical to me than your first comment.

Having had five different AGM lead acid batteries over ~35,000 miles strand me in various ways over about 3 years, even after having been tended with a genuine BatteryTender during anything longer than a few days of sitting, I welcome the stability and steadfastness of the Shorai. I don't live in extreme cold but I do ride often and make short, hot trips in the desert heat; AGM batteries just do not tolerate it well.

On my 450EXC, getting rid of ~3+ pounds hanging nearly out at the end of the subframe yielded a perceptable difference in agility and handling. On the Adventure I have a Shorai in, yes, the difference is a small percentage but it can't hurt either.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:28 AM   #435
Aussijussi
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,137
Where would you get this Shorai in EU, or one similar, anyone in UK know?
Aussijussi is offline   Reply With Quote