Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-28-2011, 02:38 PM   #76
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,581
As predicted, today was a beautiful, sunny day with a high around 50. I was real tempted to head out of town and ride up along the Tennessee river and in the mountains. Since I'm riding a scooter, not an adventure bike, I decided to head over to nearby Decatur, AL. It's really easy to get to; just head west on I-65 for about 10 minutes, cross the tennessee river and you're there..................or not! Full throttle or not, 150cc scooter and interstate highway isn't a great idea. It may be legal but i think I'll pass.

I head west on some back roads. This part of Alabama reminds me of kansas, flat farmland.

Eventually I have to get on the highway to cross the Tennessee river but it's no longer an interstate highway and the speed limit is a little lower.

I didn't think I would be able to take pics while riding since I'm still wearing cold weather gloves but it works out OK.

I stop at a marina. Motorcycling can be an expensive hobby but it's a lot cheaper than boating.

Some historical trivia.

Then I cross the bridge and head into decatur.

klaviator screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 01:27 AM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #77
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I see a sign for the historic district so that's where I ride. Some nice old houses:

Not real big like many historic houses but still old.

Lots of historic churches.

And another one.

The top of this house looks like a castle.

A very old bank. I wonder if it got a federal bailout?

A close up of the plaque.

Cobblestone street and sidewalk.

I head down the street to historic Bank Street.

It's still in use but i'm guessing it was much busier before the days of Wal Mart. Note the trolley tracks in the center of the street.

I wonder how historical this tower is?

I ride on and find another old historic site. I'm not sure this one is listed on the tourist brochures

Still, I think it's cool. It's just as much part of the history of this town as the much nicer looking houses. As a kid I would have been climbing around on this thing......Until I got caught and run off.

The glint of sunlight reflecting off of barbed wire catches my eye.

This is where the sheriff will take me if he catches me doing any of that thar Full Throttle Touring in his county

klaviator screwed with this post 01-29-2011 at 01:28 AM
Old 01-28-2011, 03:38 PM   #78
rtwdoug
prominent underachiever

Oddometer: 3,622
Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post

You'll find Huntsville has so many H-D's you'll want to stick your finger down your throat each morning.

Hey Now!!

www.motosapiens.org
My bike hotel in Bulgaria. ADVriders get 1st beer free!

rtwdoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 08:20 PM   #79
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

My next stop was the visitors center.

Looks like an old house on the outside.

Looks like an old house with a few brochures laying around on the inside.

There's even a convenient place to put my helmet Like what I have seen so far in Decatur, this place has lots of character.

The buildings in old Decatur are not quite as old (late 1800s - early 1900s) as the buildings in Huntsville Twickinham district, and they are probably not quite as well preserved. There is a different atmosphere here. This area seems more alive, more lived in. Maybe it's just because it's a much warmer day. I'll have to go back to downtown Huntsville on a nice day and see.

My next stop may not be very historic, but it is one of the most important places in town.

It's the local motorcycle dealer. It is probably the most important place in every town In this case they sell Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki.

I head inside to check out the toys.

Note the price tags on the four Honda scooters
Even with some serious discounts, they are all way more than what I paid for my Kymco. The scooter on the right, the honda PCX, is Honda's newest offering in the US and got a lots of posts in the Battle Scooters section. At 125cc it is a comparable size to my Super 8 After looking it over closely and sitting on it, I'm glad I got my Kymco.

Here's the answer to a question no one has asked Look at that price tag

They did have some good prices on some Dual Sports.

But the sale ends at the end of the month.

Overall I was impressed with this dealer. They had a good selection of bikes, an extremely friendly staff, and even some very interesting riding gear.

Old 01-29-2011, 08:47 PM   #80
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

The Motorcycle dealer is on the west side of town. Unlike the old east side, everything here is more modern, and no different from any other American city. Wal Mart, K mart, Home Depot and every chain restaurant you can think of. Nothing wrong with that but not very interesting so I head back to the old section of the city via a different route.

More old houses.

This ones a little different. I wonder how this made it past the Homeowner's association

I really like these old houses.

But I notice one major flaw in all of these houses.

It's not the nice and big porches

It's the fact that they have NO GARAGES. Where do these people park their motorcycles????

Old 01-31-2011, 06:21 AM   #81
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

My nest stop was the waterfront. Decatur sits on the Tennessee river. At this point, there is a dam downstream forming Wheeler Lake. I found the waterfront to be quite scenic, especially on a beautiful sunny day like today. I parked the scooter at a lakefront park and walked around a little, taking some pics.

A railway bridge downstream.

There is a large condo or apartment building right on the water. I'm sure it's not cheap.

I went down the walkway and climbed on the rocks at the waters edge.

The railway bridge is still in use.

Then I head along the lake for another viewpoint.

I couldn't pass up the opportunity to get a light house pic......even if it's just a fake lighthouse used for decoration at the entrance of more expensive waterfront condos.

Not sure what this was

So I went in side to find out.

I'm still not sure, but it looks like someone has been working in here.

Anyone have a clue what this building was used for???

The river is still used to transport freight.

Then it was time to head back across the bridge towards Huntsville.

And time for some more "full throttle touring"

Old 02-01-2011, 09:13 AM   #82
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then it was time to cross the "farmlands of Kansas" again. Although I usually expect to find curves in the mountains or hilly country, I am pleasantly surprised to find some nice curves and sweepers here in this flat countryside.

I take advantage of them to see how the Super 8 handles

Running an indicated 50 through some curves, the Super 8 feels stabil and well planted. This is pretty amazing considering that it has super light and super quick steering. It makes a 600cc sport bike like an R6 feel like a truck.

Even some slightly rough pavement didn't upset the stability.

I stopped to take this pic. Can you tell which one is mine?

Then I left quickly before they chased me away

Total mileage for the day, a little over 60 and under a gallon of gas.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-14-2011 at 12:15 AM
Old 02-01-2011, 10:22 AM   #83
bgoodwin
Got Parelli?

Oddometer: 1,154
Nice!!! You're touring my stomping grounds....I live in Hartselle and work at Nucor Decatur.
Be on the lookout for me or my brother

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

"Take the time it takes, it WILL take less time"

"Listen guys...the only way to insure a successful prosecution...is if I get away" - Me to Al Goodwin and DeBandi
bgoodwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 11:10 AM   #84
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodwin View Post
Nice!!! You're touring my stomping grounds....I live in Hartselle and work at Nucor Decatur.
Be on the lookout for me or my brother

I will keep an eye out for you. The pic you posted above is in my stompin grounds. I've ridden my KLR through Tatham Gap many times.

Old 02-16-2011, 02:28 PM   #85
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

After unseasonably cold weather more suitable for Maine than Alabama as well as several snow storms, we finally got a break in the weather. It seemed like we went from Winter to spring overnight with highs in the 60s. Today I finally had some free time so......of course I went for a ride

I had only a rough plan. I thought I'd cut across Redstone Arsenal, stop by Cycle Gear to see if they had any deals I just couldn't live without, and then ride around some before heading home. It turned out that I got sidetracked checking out Redstone Arsenal and didn't end up going anywhere else. I was trying to find an interesting route across the base but the only map I had was a Rand Mcnally. From my experience Rand Mcnally maps are notoriously innacurate. I only bought it because I needed a Huntsville map and thats all I could find. So I ended up going down several roads that didn't go through. I also found this interesting site:

Redstone has a long history of Rockets and space flight. It was the home of Werner Von Braun and other German rocket scientists after WWII.

Just to the left of the rocket I found this:

What? no warning about forgetting to tie my shoelaces?? Must have been written by a lawyer

The next dead end led me to this:

It would have been fun to be able to take one of these out for a spin but I settled for taking a few pics.

And one more.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 07:49 AM
Old 02-16-2011, 03:06 PM   #86
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Then I wandered around the base doing some more "full throttle touring". Actually, despite being on a military base, many of the roads had 50 or even 55MPH speed limits. That meant running pretty close to full throttle much of the time.

I saw some interesting signs and followed them untill I found myself along the Tennessee river.

This old dock didn't look like it had been used for quite a while.

The view in the other direction.

There was also a small RV park near the river but I didn't take any pics. it looked like a real peacefull spot to camp.

Some more exploring and I ended up on a dirt road.

I would have liked tp explore it some more, it had several branches, but my fuel guage was pretty close to empty so I decided it was time to find a gas station. I've been getting over 70 MPG but with a tank that holds only 1.35 gallons (Claimed), it doesnt give me very much range. A few miles later the guage was at zero and it was still several miles to a gas station. I had a few nervous miles but made it to the station. 81 miles and 1.07 gallons. One of these days I plan on carrying a fuel bottle and running the tank dry, just to see how much it really holds.

On the way home I saw one more interesting site.

These things were so big I couldn't fit them all in the picture unless I wanted to take a long hike.

Here's another angle.

The big one on the left is a Saturn one. It's over 16 stories tall. The others from the left are: Hermes, German V-2, Jupiter, Redstone, and Jupiter C. I can imagine that watching one of these things lift off would be an impressive sight. The power and the fury would even be greater than than displayed by my Super 8's mighty 150cc engine!!!

klaviator screwed with this post 02-16-2011 at 03:12 PM
Old 02-18-2011, 04:58 AM   #87
Reverend12
Well there it is..

Oddometer: 1,413
Great ride report, I have to plan a trip up there. Lived in Alabama most of my life, and never been there.
Reverend12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:47 AM   #88
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reverend12 View Post
Great ride report, I have to plan a trip up there. Lived in Alabama most of my life, and never been there.
Thanks. I have lived in many cities. So far I would rate Huntsville as one of the best. More on that in my next post.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:10 AM   #89
brunstei
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 407
Great photos in the last set - didn't know the "unwashed public" could cross the base, so I haven't tried yet. I'll have to try to go get a look at the Longbow!
brunstei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:15 AM   #90
soboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,285
Klaviator, I am really enjoying your Full Throttle Touring reports. Those space rockets are very cool, I would love to see more space-related pics in future ride reports. This has been a fantastic weather week for riding in the Southeast, I have taken all three of my bikes for short rides this week (pulled my hip and back out while hand washing my car on Monday so my body can only tolerate short rides on pavement this week). Time to head to the chiropractor again today - but at least I get to ride one of the bikes to the doc - getting older is so much fun! Keep the cards and letters coming..........
"Reason takes a holiday as Dr. Horrible spends money he doesn't have, on a motorcycle he doesn't need, in a misguided attempt to recapture his youth which, upon reflection, wasn't all that great in the first place."
"Ride to the bar in your pirate outfit, guzzle some beer, play "Free Bird' on the juke box and then go home. Badass."
soboy is offline   Reply With Quote