ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2005, 05:27 PM   #16
DNFjoe
Did Not Finnish

Oddometer: 620
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caffeind
There's an independent shop in Bailey's Crossroads that should be able to do it. Sorry, but I haven't lived up there in a few years and don't recall the name, but it's right off Rt. 7 and Columbia Pike. I don't know what they charge - I've always had my tire work done at Coleman or MFI.
The name of the place is Crossroads Cycles. I think the owner's name is Dennis, I was by there last month for an inspection. Small shop, no glitter all business, Its good to give business to the small independant guys. I dont know what he would charge but he seems like a fair guy.

Joe
Old 04-28-2005, 10:09 AM   #17
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
Lap's in Alexandria does them. Quality Cycle.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 10:37 AM   #18
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,020
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
I've got the 220, tire part is simple, but I was never gifted and talented when it came to tubes - always used to buy two and one was always pinched/cut and it was time to do it again.
Been there, always did that until a more experienced guy showed me to semi-inflate the tube, get lots of lube inside the tire too (on the tube), then seat. Since then my success rate in pinching tubes has dropped dramatically. Now I only pinch one in four......

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 01:11 PM   #19
CityClip OP
Upgraded to Scooterdom

Oddometer: 843
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNFjoe
The name of the place is Crossroads Cycles. I think the owner's name is Dennis, I was by there last month for an inspection. Small shop, no glitter all business, Its good to give business to the small independant guys. I dont know what he would charge but he seems like a fair guy.

Joe
I dropped off the XR at Crossroads. $45 for the rear tire on the bike, $10 extra to deal with rim locks (don't know what this is), $12 for a new innertube if I need one. They took me without an appointment today and said they'd have it ready at the end of the day today.

Not a bad deal.
Old 04-28-2005, 01:21 PM   #20
scorch
Poser

Oddometer: 3,412
Quote:
Originally Posted by CityClip
I dropped off the XR at Crossroads. $45 for the rear tire on the bike, $10 extra to deal with rim locks (don't know what this is), $12 for a new innertube if I need one. They took me without an appointment today and said they'd have it ready at the end of the day today.

Not a bad deal.

Actually, its a horrible deal.. But that is local shops for you. Learn how to change tires yourself and save your money.

CAD cycles usually did it for 20$ without any hassles. But i dont know anymore.
scorch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:00 AM   #21
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
OK, I will be repeating everyone, but I want to put this together to help figure my options:

A: Do it myself.
+ it is cheaper
+ I should know how to do this myself
- I don't have a center stand on the DL650 or a compressor
- my condo in Arlington frowns on doing such things in the parking lot
- workshop at WV house has plenty of space, but if I tear a bead or something, I am walking 40 miles to Harrisonburg to fix it

B: Buy on line
+ cheaper--rear Tourance about $120, free shipping if I get the front, too
- $40 to $70 mounting at a shop
- would have to load bike in truck and drop off
- shops understandably unmotivated to work with someone who cut their profit from the sale out of the equasion

C: Buy from a shop
- pay full retail-- about $180, plus tax
+ mounting about $20 on the bike, from one place I talked to
+ could schedule to do it while I waited

So, getting a new rear on the Strom should be about $200 from a dealer. I could save about $40 on line, but my time and effort is increased (tall truck, short ramps and heavy bike X two trips)

Doing it myself will require one time equipment outlay, which I don't mind, but a place to do it is a problem. QUESTION FOR OMAR--you live in Rosslyn, do you do your tire changes on the street, or do you go somewhere else?

Question to all. Are any of these assumptions completely out of line? Anything that could make the "do it myself" option more practical?

Thanks!
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 09:33 AM   #22
carioca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stromski
OK, I will be repeating everyone, but I want to put this together to help figure my options:

A: Do it myself.
+ it is cheaper
+ I should know how to do this myself
- I don't have a center stand on the DL650 or a compressor
- my condo in Arlington frowns on doing such things in the parking lot
- workshop at WV house has plenty of space, but if I tear a bead or something, I am walking 40 miles to Harrisonburg to fix it

B: Buy on line
+ cheaper--rear Tourance about $120, free shipping if I get the front, too
- $40 to $70 mounting at a shop
- would have to load bike in truck and drop off
- shops understandably unmotivated to work with someone who cut their profit from the sale out of the equasion

C: Buy from a shop
- pay full retail-- about $180, plus tax
+ mounting about $20 on the bike, from one place I talked to
+ could schedule to do it while I waited

So, getting a new rear on the Strom should be about $200 from a dealer. I could save about $40 on line, but my time and effort is increased (tall truck, short ramps and heavy bike X two trips)

Doing it myself will require one time equipment outlay, which I don't mind, but a place to do it is a problem. QUESTION FOR OMAR--you live in Rosslyn, do you do your tire changes on the street, or do you go somewhere else?

Question to all. Are any of these assumptions completely out of line? Anything that could make the "do it myself" option more practical?

Thanks!
Why not ship the tire to one of the many adv rider homes? Then when you have time go there and change it? Buy some tire levers and you are set.

I change my tires, but i scratch them pretty good.

I know for fact, that some riders have changing eq in their homes.

Every month, you should do a tire changing party. ahahha, then it would be easier.
carioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 12:00 PM   #23
Stromski
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 386
Of course...Beer! How could I have left that out of any financial calculation?

Frosty adult beverages are my choice for fluid currency.

Xsquiggy, I will gladly take you up on that!

I had mentioned on another foum a couple of weeks ago that with 6000 miles on the Trailwing, I thought I could get through the summer (someone up there must have been listening). Next thing I know, it is 1500+ miles later and the rear has the big highway flat spot. There is still some tread in the center, but the last month seems to have produced as much visible wear as the previous five.

Much thanks! We can work out a schedule later.
Stromski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:02 PM   #24
carioca
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 206
Riders helping riders, thats what its all about.
carioca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2005, 01:56 PM   #25
MrE
computer driver

I used SWmototires last time and they were on my front porch two days later. Worked great.

I wish xsquiggy had made this offer a few weeks ago.

Stromski, you don't need to take your whole bike to the dealer. The ADV rider shop is the best, but sometimes stuff happens. Don't waste your time loading the bike. Just pull the wheels and take them and the new tires in. Champion motorsports in Herdon did it for me (of course they charged me $100 for two wheels). They didn't seem to bat an eye about me bringing tires into their shop. They were very nice and did the job in a couple of hours which was convenient since they are close to my office.
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
Old 05-23-2005, 09:54 PM   #26
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Or do like me and chenge your own with a HF tire changer for $70. It can be a PITA alone, but fairly easy with a friend. Saved me over $120 on the first set of tires.

In a month or two we are going to do a tech day for tires and a 6K on R1100/1150 engins at my place in Fairfax, VA.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 05:06 AM   #27
PhilSpace
The Gov

Oddometer: 35,322
Offer is still open here, we have a changer and balancer and I'm starting to get pretty good at it thanks to Steverino, don't promise not to scratch anything, but beer is a great lubricant.

After doing 3 sets of tires, it's the only way to go. I also have a used set of tires for the RT that are still in good shape that I keep around in case someone has an emergency - that way there is never a need to not use swmototire and get ripped off. We also have a trailer in case anyone is stranded in our neck of the woods.

Only catch with us is, Memorial day weekend is a big family event for the newest grand daughter and the following weekend everyone will be either at the Square Root or BYOB

PhilSpace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 07:53 AM   #28
MrE
computer driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilSpace
Only catch with us is, Memorial day weekend is a big family event for the newest grand daughter and the following weekend everyone will be either at the Square Root or BYOB
Square Route, Square Route, Square Route!!!

But after Hot Springs, I can understand why you might want to go to BYOB instead. Bunch of crazy FFes.
- Thomas Jefferson