Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-19-2011, 08:37 PM   #16
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,697
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
These lug patterns between the three are too closely related for the lug pattern to be a factor between them in mileage, even though you want it to be, Ender.

By your own math, one has 50% center knobbies and the other 33%. A difference of 17% which is statistically significant in anyone's book. Most scientific studies consider 5% statistically significant but I can be lenient and go with 10%. I am with you however, an empirical test would be best and I look forward to your report.
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
By your own math, one has 50% center knobbies and the other 33%. A difference of 17% which is statistically significant in anyone's book. Most scientific studies consider 5% statistically significant but I can be lenient and go with 10%. I am with you however, an empirical test would be best and I look forward to your report.
Yeah, let's wait for an actual report.
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 08:59 PM   #18
MonsterJ
I have motopsychosis

Oddometer: 262
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post
Let's just leave the speculation out of this for now.
LOL... then what else would you have to say? How many other people have called you out on your opinion-posed-as-fact posts? Then again.... this is why message boards like these have ignore lists. Easy fix.

Back on topic....
I'm thinking of picking a set of these for the wife's F8GS since she doesn't super slab it much. I'll have to post up a comparo with these and the TKC front/K60 rear combo on my F8GS once I can get a set mounted up on her bike. It's good to see some new players in this tire segment.

Temple, TX -> Cape May, NJ -> Mobile, AL -> ECity, NC -> Kodiak, AK -> Mobile, AL -> Sacto, CA -> Cape Cod, MA -> New London, CT -> San Francisco, CA -> Juneau, AK (summer of '13) -> where to next?
MonsterJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
rockinrog
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,673
I have been following a thread over in the boxers area for a while
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643297
There is an inmate that just got a set mounted. Go towards the end.. notice how much wider it is comapred with a tkc of the same size.. He also states that 3 people working together could not get it mounted... very stiff.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:25 PM   #20
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonsterJ
LOL... then what else would you have to say? How many other people have called you out on your opinion-posed-as-fact posts? Then again.... this is why message boards like these have ignore lists. Easy fix.

I forgot to put my *opinion* disclaimer for folks like you who get their panties in a bunch. People make mistakes/typos sometimes my friend. You'll notice that in that same post of mine the you're SO freaking worked up about that I also phrased the same point in a more opinion/non-fact manner.

Please ignore me, then I won't have to deal with your sensitive needs anymore!

Here's a couple of posts you've recently made that are nice examples of opinion-posed-as-fact:

In this post you're clearly not aware of the the fact that there's more to a tubeless tire than just the bead itself, though you phrase your opinion as thought it is fact:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=415

In this post you pose your opinion that that the reason Heidenau is having delays getting the 150/70-17 K60 to market is because testing went bad in Africa, though we do not know for sure that is the case:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...&postcount=425

So you see my friend, you're not practicing what you're preaching. Now stop muddying-up this thread.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:33 PM   #21
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I have been following a thread over in the boxers area for a while
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643297
There is an inmate that just got a set mounted. Go towards the end.. notice how much wider it is comapred with a tkc of the same size.. He also states that 3 people working together could not get it mounted... very stiff.
I read that thread. I like the width myself. That's my opinion.

Stiffness does not worry me after I installed a set of K60's!

One nice thing I noticed after looking at this pic is how similar the size of the large center lugs are between the TKC80 on the left and the Kenda Big Block on the right. Equally nice is how equal the width between the lugs are between the two tires, especially down the center.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:40 PM   #22
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,848
Mounted a set on my Big Ugly GS Adventure rims today. (Not on the bike yet. Not balanced yet. Work intrudes.) Dang good looking tires. Wear? I'm not expecting a lot of miles out of them but I doubt if they can get much less than the TKC's do in Texas. I'm hopeful they'll do a little better.

slowoldguy screwed with this post 01-20-2011 at 05:33 AM
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2011, 09:44 PM   #23
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 7,848
As far as that center lug goes, it's got a deep rain groove. Seems like a good idea. Will it work? Who knows. And it was really more like two people trying to mount the tire with spoons. Two really big strong young people, but it whupped them. I was more of the "voyeur in a camp chair". The hydraulic tire machine got it on with two guys working pretty hard to help. They said it was like mounting a Goldwing tire. ;)
slowoldguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2011, 05:21 PM   #24
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Some more badass pics of the most badass dual sport tires I've seen yet:

Old 01-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #25
GapRunr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 449
More pictures

There are quite a few other pictures in the other Big Block Kenda thread located at http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=643297 .

There are pics of the tires on a bike, and some pics of the tires just on the wheels as seen from top and side. They are a good looking tire, I must admit.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:24 PM   #26
Motorfiets
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,989
These tires look nice but I'm a bit concerned about the stiffness. Sounds like it'll be a pain in the ass with just tire levers. Kinda off topic but what's the best dual sport tire for mounting on the go in the middle of no where...? something with lighter sidewalls maybe...
Old 01-24-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motorfiets View Post
These tires look nice but I'm a bit concerned about the stiffness. Sounds like it'll be a pain in the ass with just tire levers. Kinda off topic but what's the best dual sport tire for mounting on the go in the middle of no where...? something with lighter sidewalls maybe...
TKC's are easy peasy to remove and mount in the field. However, any tire is doable in the field with some WD-40. I'm not too concerned about stiffness. Hell, I'm running Heidenau K60's right now, and these Big Blocks can't be any stiffer than them!
Old 02-02-2011, 04:09 PM   #28
JG55
Almost Normal

Oddometer: 141
Anyone know what kind of mileage they will be good for.
JG55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #29
The Griz OP
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG55 View Post
Anyone know what kind of mileage they will be good for.
That's the question of the day at the moment! No one knows as of yet. There have been some inmates who have bought them, but have not yet put enough miles on them to report back yet. It'll take some time.

I on the other hand, will more than likely be swooping up a set of these in the Spring. They can't be any worse in the mileage dept than a TKC80. And if so, then sweet, the Big Blocks are basically a cheaper TKC80 that gets the same or better mileage.
Old 02-02-2011, 04:59 PM   #30
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,169
Has anyone actually mounted these on an F800GS?? I have concerns about the width.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote