Old 02-03-2011, 08:50 PM   #1
BMBEN OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
WEDNESDAYS RIDE 2-2-2011 Megalong Valley, NSW, Australia

Wednesdays Ride

2/2/2011
Megalong Valley, NSW, Australia

With the weather forecast being +40 with a chance of a thunderstorm in the afternoon, I decided on a short ride to beat the heat. So I headed around to McDonalds and after filling up with fuel its 8.30am and there are 2 bikes ready for a ride. While talking about where to go, another 2 bikes turned up and we all agreed on a short ride to beat the heat. The Fruit Bowl for morning tea and the Megalong Valley for lunch then straight home early.

We went up the Great Western Highway to Springwood and out through Hawkesbury Lookout and around to North Richmond, then up the Bells Line Road to have morning tea at the Fruit Bowl. So far the weather is still pleasant and there was talk of doing a walk through the fruit farm then going home.

But after morning tea we jumped back on the bikes and continued up the mountains along the Bells Line Road to Bell and across the Darling Causeway to Mt Victoria then down the Great Western Highway to Blackheath (1 bike left and continued onto home ) where we turned off and headed down into the Megalong Valley to have lunch at the Old Ford Reserve. The ride down the hill and through the rainforest was lovely and cool but you could feel the heat when we got to the bottom of the valley. As we passed the Megalong Tea House it was packed but we were going further along the road to the lunch stop.

We had our lunch in the peace and quiet of the reserve with the sound of running water in the background from the creek. We had a short walk to have a look at the creek crossing. This is one of the entry points to access the Six Foot Track.

Seeing how we are ready to head straight home now, I mentioned that I was going to have a look at Hargraves Lookout, which is close by, but there is 2km of dirt road to get there. They all said they will follow me, and even though scooter Dave said it was a bit rough, they were all glad they went because of the fantastic views.

We said our goodbyes and headed back to Blackheath. On the way I stopped to pick up a brick bolster that was lying in the middle of the road, as I was the only one to see it. Then it’s down the mountains along the Great Western Highway to Blaxland. It was near Faulconbridge where you could start to feel the heat starting to rise and by the time I arrived home it was very hot and the other 3 riders still had about 40km towards Parramatta to go.
I arrived home at 2.30pm and covered 200km.
Regards Franz

Facts about the Megalong Valley

One of the famous Blue Mountains valleys surrounded by sandstone cliffs.
Famous for the historic Six Foot Track.
History

Thomas Jones is believed to be the first European to venture into the valley in 1818. The first grazing land was taken up in 1838 by settlers travelling from Burragorang and Camden.
Why go there

One of the best views into the Megalong Valley is from the Hydro Majestic Hotel at Medlow Bath. The hotel sits on the edge of the escarpment overlooking the valley. Here you can see thick eucalypt forests, spectacular sandstone cliffs receding into the distance and the route of Cox's River as it passes through the valley. The valley is a popular destination for those looking for an Australian bush experience close to Sydney.
Things to do

Have a picnic at one of the best picnic grounds in the Blue Mountains at the Old Ford Reserve, alongside Megalong Creek. Go horse-riding. Stay at one of the lodges or cabins in the valley and experience genuine country hospitality. The Megalong Australian Heritage Centre, offering entertainment, including stockmen shows and the famous Megalong Farm. The old steam engine in the valley. A scrumptious Devonshire tea in the Megalong Tea Rooms.

Thanks to Google Maps www.maps.google.com.au and Visit NSW www.visitnsw.com