Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-2011, 09:24 AM   #16
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Anvil View Post
Dankie Jenny

After seeing Mr. Merkits snipped on the Dakar broadcast I have to say it propably loooks "cooler" than it is.

I am good friends with Albert Hintenaus we ride together often and he said Desert rose is the best option, however $ as you know is my limiting factor.

Can one buy tyres and mooses from Euromaster?
I think unless you really are a seasoned rally rider, going with an assistance team really gives you the best chance of a finish (or not in my case!), particularly for a first timer - so many things can go wrong, and having the expertise plus someone simply to take the pressure off once you get to the bivouac is a huge help...

Kemal and Si are old mastered at Dakar now, but while 'enjoyable' I doubt either of them would say it made things easy!

As for spare tyres, I presume Euromaster have some sort of supply, but it's going to be limited... Obviously most competitors who go with assistance will have their own stash on their assistance truck. Si Pavey has Patsy (Desert Rose) carry his spare tyres and mousses on their truck this year, and Patsy also did the fitting for him.

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 01:20 AM   #17
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Oddometer: 246
Agree about the seasoned riders knowing the ins and outs of bivoucs and orginisers. Unfortunately if $ is a problem then Malles Moto is the only option.
I have been racing for a long time and been doing most maintenance myself.

However I suppose being dog tired and with so many things to do it won't be easy. At the moment just getting funds together and building a bike is not easy oh and then the little fact that I broke T3 cracked T4 and comressed T5 and T6 last year July isn't helping either at the moment.

However after my big crash I realised normal enduro's and offroad racing for 1 or 2 days is not what I want to do anymore. Whilst lying in a state hospital in NamibiA on a backboard in a neck brace and strapped to a backboard counting the light they rolled me past I realised that if I was gonna walk again or be paralised Dakar was either forever gone or I need to get there.

I was in Hospital for 5 days when I realised the human body is not so weak. I walked out with a back brace and went to work 10 days after my crash.

Why the long story, just an idea why I would like to do Malles Moto and Dakar so badly. Maybe for me 2012 will be here too soon to get all the $ together, but then 2013 hopefully.
Tau Anvil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 02:19 AM   #18
barrier
Says who?

Oddometer: 495
Hey Tau, it is your dream so don't let anyone put you off if Malles Motos is the way you want to go.
It's all about the journey and not necessarily about the destination!
If it was just about the destination then why bother going round in a big circle to get back to BA!
I guess you are on this 'Adventure Motorcycling Forum' for the journey and would find the satisfaction you deserve if you battle to the finish under 'mainly' your own steam!
Good luck which ever year you decide to enter, just do your homework then enjoy the ride!
Old 02-04-2011, 02:41 AM   #19
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Thx Barrier

Ja it looks like I might have to sell my HP2 to fund this expedition.

My Yz 450 is in the market as we speak. I only started DS riding begining 2009 with a GS 800 so taking it easier will hopefully help the cause. I have been racing from the age of 11. Mx and enduro's etc. I still don't believe this is waht Dakar is about, I assume it is about getting up from day 5 onwards and having to do hectic days after a hectic day.Making a plan to fix the unfixable understanding the French and then staying injury free. Riding a bike is important, but like somebody said the time spend trying to improve your ability should rather be used improving fitness and mechanical know how.

I need to do a couple of top end rebuilds with my local mac and valve setting tuition, I "can" do it, but not good enough.

After my good friend Albert finished 51st this year in Dakar I am in no way expecting a top 40. He is super fit and calm the perfect Dakar type. Had full Desert rose support and a 690 RR that gave him zero problems.

Like I have said If Malles moto is the only option then so be it. But first getting the $ together easier said than done.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:49 AM   #20
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
I
As for spare tyres, I presume Euromaster have some sort of supply, but it's going to be limited...
Euromasters do not have ANY spare tyres or mousses etc, you use what you bring or buy off other competitors who no longer need them (this happens a lot actually)
Old 02-04-2011, 04:24 AM   #21
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariBerg View Post
Euromasters do not have ANY spare tyres or mousses etc, you use what you bring or buy off other competitors who no longer need them (this happens a lot actually)
If I take 6 front and 10 rear will it be enough pressuming I can get 1or 2 from DNF riders (or they from me...)? Or will this be frown upon?
Old 02-04-2011, 05:59 AM   #22
SafariBerg
Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer: 2,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tau Anvil View Post
If I take 6 front and 10 rear will it be enough pressuming I can get 1or 2 from DNF riders (or they from me...)? Or will this be frown upon?
6 front and 10 rear likely to be enough without any more, can get 2 days out of the rear on some days, and 3-4 days from a front
Old 02-04-2011, 07:08 AM   #23
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by geode View Post
As an interested onlooker who knows he'll never enter the Dakar, I'll suggest folks who seriously plan to try to ride it start their grass roots fund raising efforts earlier. I'm not rich by any stretch, but I'd likely to toss a $10 bill in someone's fund from time to time over the course of a year. As far as SWAG goes, sure the RiffRaff package was cool to get but how many folks out there have $100 to toss at every amateur?

If I got a small sticker for my $10 I'd be thrilled.

Geode I live in South Africa and $100 is very steep for Swag in these parts. The little planning I have done I have aimed for around $50 swag. However it is still in early days with me I am still e-mailing some Dakar participants and rally raiders. Like I said I am very realistic about 2012 maybe being too far $ wise.

Safariberg thx for the tyre info. Running Malles Moto one will probably also not trash tyres as the pro and other classes?
Old 02-04-2011, 07:26 AM   #24
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Thx for the advice and I just feel there is already well established riders on advrider doing this thing and I would not want to step on their toes.

I will admit to taking advice from you and them from previous dakar's funding efforts for my own her in South Africa
Old 02-05-2011, 02:28 PM   #25
PPiA
Pete

Oddometer: 1,181
Tau Anvil,

What level of rider are you?
If you don't think you will be a front runner and are doing it because it's a dream, then you can get away with less tyres than that.
I went out on Day 5. I was still on my original tyres from the start but needed to swap the rear that evening.
How?
Michelin Deserts, and not spinning up the rear.
You will need to take tyres/mousse with you and arrange for someone to carry them.
Leads me to;
What brand of bike do you think you will be on?
KTM have had (I assume still have?) a service where you can buy an option to purchase parts from their vehicle when needed, and if you buy your tyres and mousse from them, they will also carry them for you.
Obviously you won't get it from them unless you are riding a KTM, and they need to be Rally models.
Spare wheels and trunk/s are carried by the organisers.
This info is based on it being run the same way as in 2006.

The best advice I can offer, is ride slower than you think you can to avoid injuring yourself and damaging your bike.
Once you are injured, the lack of sleep from trying to do your own maintenance will compound your issues enormously.

Nobody is going to notice the difference if you are running at position 183 or 129 or 97 etc.
You will though, when you hurt yourself.

It's a tough race. It's even tougher when you have to maintain your bike yourself.
Be the turtle.

You'll love it
PPiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 08:34 AM   #26
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Thx PPIA

I must say I apreciate all the advice and comments, I dare not make as if I know enough about the GREATEST RACE ON EARTH so please the more info the beter (Husky 610 I have Hijacked your thread If you don't mind I will keep going on as I think more dreamers are looking at Malles Moto...)

About my speed. In my little world I am fast in the South African National champs I have finished top 10 a couple of times and won my provinsial offroad champs in 2009 and was awarded Western Province colours for motorsport.

In the states I reckon I am a Class B GNCC runner( As I understand their is pro's class A and then B???? I might be totally wrong) I make this assesment as some of our top guys rode in your Class2 (second devision) and I would then say maybe class B.

So as I take it in the states I am average racer I would suggest. I have lots of desert racing experince and riding. I have been racing Mx since the age of 11 and will be turning 28 in September. My wife is from Namibie and my parents originaly from Walvisbay(where Angelina and Brad had one of therir babies) I am under no imprassion or attempt to "race" Dakar or try and prove how fast I am. I do not think I have that kind of ability or that Malles Moto lends itself to hard racing.

I have never stopped drinking, using sugar eating bread or dieted like I have since 18 December 2010 ( the date I decided stuff It I nead to try get to Dakar and looking like a muffin won't help convincing my family, friends and sponsors. I have since 2003 raced without sponsors as I do not take myself or racing too serious and the funny part is the best results have come in this manner.

Everybody that rides propably has the "I want to do Dakar" moment in their lives especially before and after the event takes place. I have been in love since forever. For 3 years in bording school I had the Stephane Peterhansel Super tenere twin poster on my wall it was laminated and heavy and fell of often.

For me not getting to Dkar is my failure moment. Maybe not 2012 but then 2013 otherwise loony bin. As much as I KNOW and need the Abu dhabi desert challenge and a week in the states with RMS I don't have that luxury as every cent I can save, make, steal,beg for I will have to send towards the Dakar effort.

I am planning on using a WR 450. The JVO or Mecasystems kit will be NO.!, but yet again$ will depict waht I can use. Maybe a JVO light kit and a Safari tanks 10 l rear? The big thing is building a Bike in South Africa, getting one build in Europe or the states and having it imported to South Africa or renting or getting a bike build and then shipped to Dakar without ever seeing the bike. All this is still uncertain.

Riding the bike and testing before the race will be the 1st prize however not in my opinion a nacesity. getting fit and strong and staying healthy before and during the event is more importent I suppose.
Old 02-06-2011, 09:33 AM   #27
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Bike rental is always an option too! I know Richard de Groot who did it this year too, in Malles Moto. Rented a sorted WR450 from Rallybikecenter, spare engine and wheels.

No need to invest money in the bike for a one off race after which the bike will be shelved, invest money into making it to the start and finish! If you have spare cash from not building your own bike, move from Malles Moto to a team that can do your service and carry spares.

Good luck!
Old 02-06-2011, 09:39 AM   #28
JMo (& piglet)
Dakar Dazed

Oddometer: 3,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
...No need to invest money in the bike for a one off race after which the bike will be SHAGGED, invest money into making it to the start and finish!...
Corrected x

Jx
JMo (& piglet) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 10:09 AM   #29
tehdutchie
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,738
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMo (& piglet) View Post
Corrected x

Jx
I originally typed 'KNACKERED'
Old 02-06-2011, 11:17 AM   #30
Tau Anvil
African by trade

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehdutchie View Post
Bike rental is always an option too! I know Richard de Groot who did it this year too, in Malles Moto. Rented a sorted WR450 from Rallybikecenter, spare engine and wheels.

No need to invest money in the bike for a one off race after which the bike will be shelved, invest money into making it to the start and finish! If you have spare cash from not building your own bike, move from Malles Moto to a team that can do your service and carry spares.

Good luck!
Thx thedutchie.

Who did he rent from? I might end up getting a Wr at home and put my IMS longrange tank on and NAv tower and do some training here.

JMO are you still waiting for your scooter?