yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Oddometer: 219
progerss so far

Quote:
Originally Posted by God of Speed View Post
BUMP

so whats progress to date?
Yeah I have been busy with a few public holidays, a trip in the 4x4's and a new gearbox for my yz 426 so i have been a bit busy,

Just bought a heap of bits
- Brand new black 18 x 2.50 excel rim
- ktm lc4 cush drive hub (just a few minor spacer mods to make it fit into the yz swing arm, yeah I am ashamed to have a ktm part on my bike but its going to save me around $500 compared to the talon/rad versions)(good enough for coma and despres good enough for me)
- New front rim at the anodisers getting anodised black
- front hub at powder coaters getting done black
- Swing arm at powder coaters getting done black

ordered this cover/fairing to adapt to the bike

So in short just been spending cash and not doing work but as a few bits roll in there will be another productive session to post so keep tuned

My crazy bike build
yamahaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 07:27 AM   #79
brucifer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,090
Excellent.

XL600R Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...4+xl600r+build
brucifer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2011, 10:03 PM   #80
Mezo
Banned

Oddometer: 2,129

Was watching this whilst i was on "Vacation"

Subscribed.

Mezo.
Mezo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 12:26 AM   #81
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Talking bitz arriving

the rally cover has arrived and I have just taped it on to get a feel for what its going to look like and what I am going to make to mount it.

I cant wait to do some small mods to the rallye cover and to bend up the inner support and fit the headlight.

My crazy bike build
Old 02-04-2011, 12:58 AM   #82
Mezo
Banned

Do you work for Fraser & Mountain then Hamish

Mezo.
Old 02-04-2011, 01:19 AM   #83
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mezo View Post
Do you work for Fraser & Mountain then Hamish

Mezo.
Sure do! kind of handy having the sheet metal factory at the main office, You must have some keen eyes you gotta let me know how ya stalking me?

My crazy bike build
Old 02-04-2011, 01:52 AM   #84
Mezo
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamahaman View Post
Sure do! kind of handy having the sheet metal factory at the main office, You must have some keen eyes you gotta let me know how ya stalking me?
Its written on your ladders you donut.

Mezo.
Old 02-04-2011, 04:04 AM   #85
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

clever little bugger

Quote:
Its written on your ladders you donut.

Mezo.
Well it says FM commercial maintenance not Fraser and Mountain (two seperate companies) you must of looked it up super slooth

My crazy bike build
Old 02-04-2011, 11:11 AM   #86
a1fa
Riding Nomad™

Oddometer: 13,301
Can you give us more details on the spacers for LC4 rear wheel? Thinking of doing it on my WR400F
a1fa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 06:38 PM   #87
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

lc4 wheel in a 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by a1fa View Post
Can you give us more details on the spacers for LC4 rear wheel? Thinking of doing it on my WR400F
I have made the lc4 hub fit the newer swing arm from the 04 yz which I am using on ths bike. I have also fitted it to the 426 with nearly no problems except for a disk alignment issue which I will have to make a custom adaptor to mount the disk with. Once I Solve this I will post it on the wr 400 thread to show how to install the lc4 wheel. I will also supply accurate drawings to machine the spacers up. Very easy for some one with a lathe to do.

My crazy bike build
Old 02-07-2011, 02:37 AM   #88
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

lacing the new front wheel

I got all of the stuff today for my front wheel. I got the rim back from the anodisers and the heavy duty spokes came in so all there is left to do is lace the wheel.
I decided to go for the heavy duty not the super heavy duty because then you have to drill and countersink the hub and this wheel setup has worked on my yz for years without a hitch.

MAKE SURE TO APPLY ANTI-SEIZE TO THE THREADS SO YOU CAN MAINTAIN THE WHEEL IN THE FUTURE

I decided to go for the black rim with silver hub because the black hubs make the bike look heavier and coloured hubs are for showboats!

Step 1:
When lacing your front wheels the first spoke is the most important because the offset of all of the nipple dimples are pressed and drilled to match the bend of the spokes and drilling pattern of the spokes. Once your sure of the alignment and have checked you spoke positions all the rest is easy.
As you can see the spoke recesses are staggered accross the rim for the left and right spokes make sure that you put the left spokes in the left spoke holes. This is why I find it easier to do this job on the floor not in a stand.

Step 2:
Once the first spoke is in then it is easy feed a spoke through every second hole in the hub and it should align with every fourth hole in the rim. Keep an eye on the dimples in the rim and they will align up with the direction of the spoke.

Step 3:
Now its time to add the opposing spoke on this side of the wheel. Feed the spoke through the hub and towards the rim the spoke will go into the hole in the centre of the gap. Again take note of the dimple to ensure that it is in correct alignment.

Step 4:
Turn the rim over and start the same process over again the spokes can pretty much only go one way now but keep checking you spoke dimple alignment now the hole to put the spoke in is easy to work out.
Take not the spokes take a little more force to get then in during step 4 & 5 this is normal (although the spoke should not need enought pressure that it permenantly bends the spoke though. If so seek professional help for the rim)

Step 5:
Fill the gaps only one way to go now

Final step:
From here you can either tension the wheel your self or get it done by a wheel builder. I have got a wheel builder near me who is quite cheep if you take the wheel to him like this. I have seen and heard of horror stories where rims have cracked, broken and worse collapsed so be careful with tensioning your wheels. In my opinion give it to the pros.

When you send the wheel to the pros they like to have all of the nipples done up to the same position ie, all nipples done up to have just no threads showing, this gives them a good starting point. My wheel smith also likes to have the bearings in with no seals this helps him to fit it in his truing stand.

My crazy bike build
Old 02-07-2011, 03:05 AM   #89
Mezo
Banned

Loctite Anti seize

Learn something new every day, cant wait to see the rear laced up.

Mezo.
Old 02-07-2011, 03:21 AM   #90
yamahaman OP
wannabe bike builder

Eek Straight from the wheel builders

Quote:
Loctite Anti seize

Learn something new every day, cant wait to see the rear laced up.

Mezo.
This is the sixth wheel I have had these guys tension for me and the first time I went to them, they turned me away because I had no antisieze and every other time I have been there they badger me over the anti sieze so Now I always leave a bit on the rim and spokes to prove it to them. In saying that I have an 18" for a yz and I lent it to a dude that did a six days enduro and two finke desert races and all of the racing and riding I have done and I am yet to put a spanner on it. I built this wheel just before the six days in new zealand whenever that was mabey 2006.

AND YES LOCTITE ANTI-SIEZE IS AN CONTRADICTION IN TERMS BUT ITS THE BEST OUT THERE.

My crazy bike build