Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 05:35 AM   #76
bemiiten
League of Adventures

Oddometer: 4,776
Quote:
Originally Posted by spagthorpe View Post
I wish they would go ahead and just put 17" wheels on it. I bet even fewer people are ever going to take this beast offroad. At least allow everyone a better choice of rubber.
They already do, It's called a R1200R.
bemiiten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:09 AM   #77
slowoldguy
Tire Tester

Oddometer: 8,027
The differences between my 2007 GS Adventure and a 2011? Not a flicker of interest by me. This new bike? A flame. And it will be time to get a new bike, too. I can wait. (Hang in there, old gal. ;))

I'll probably get myself a 1150 GS Adventure for my love of the air-cooled bikes and one of these as my "go to".

slowoldguy screwed with this post 02-05-2011 at 06:16 AM
slowoldguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 06:57 AM   #78
mkletecka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 286
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post
The differences between my 2007 GS Adventure and a 2011? Not a flicker of interest by me. This new bike? A flame. And it will be time to get a new bike, too. I can wait. (Hang in there, old gal. ;))

I'll probably get myself a 1150 GS Adventure for my love of the air-cooled bikes and one of these as my "go to".
I agree!!!!!!!!!!!! As time marches forward, typically improvements and refinements come with it. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the new GS, which I'm sure will be great and because of that I'm putting money aside for it. In the meantime I'll enjoy my 09.

As for those who may not like it and only desire the air-cooled version, don't worry, because there will probably be plenty of used 2005's to 2011's on the used market to choose from.

Mike K.
Dana Point.
mkletecka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:49 AM   #79
fawudd
Traveler

Oddometer: 105
Water-cooling was inevitable, and hinted at in interviews by BMW brass a year or two ago. Porsche had the same dilemna in the 90s with the 911. In order to meet emissions and deliver the power that we all demand (whether we can use it or not), they had to go down this path.

I love the air/oil-cooled bikes, and they will always be my favorite, but my 1200GSA is a very sophisticated piece of kit that has a lot of electronic wizardry. It is not simplicity that drives the fondness for air/oil-cooled bikes anymore, it is a sentimental attachment.

When I need simple, I jump on my R50/2, and if anyone has an R100GS PD for sale, drop me a line

fawudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #80
moist
Thaumaturgist

Oddometer: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowoldguy View Post

I love my '02 Adventure. It is a solid bike and non-servo ABS brakes work well. But liquid is frankly the shit. The simple fact that minimal internal engine clearances can be maintained easier than air/oil cooled can. This equals loads more available power from the same CC sizes.
Power rawks the motorcycle world, but I my GS is good for me. That said, my KX500 (read single cylinder liquid cooled) is an animal!
Old 02-05-2011, 11:43 AM   #81
lordabhi
Adventurer

Oddometer: 69
BMWs New Liquid-Cooled Boxer GS Spotted in the Wild

BMWs New Liquid-Cooled Boxer Spotted in the Wild

Share23
7retweet

Posted Friday, February 4th, 2011 @ 11:43 am, by Jensen Beeler
Home News BMWs New Liquid-Cooled Boxer Spotted in the Wild

The writing has been on the wall for some time for BMW to replace its air-cooled boxer twin with an updated liquid-cooled version, and that hallmark day appears to be coming, as SoloMoto (additional photos on their website) has captured the next-generation German motor out testing in the wild (enhanced photo above) on the Spanish roads near Tarragona. This photo appears to confirm reports that BMW is testing a new R1200GS model, which will feature the liquid-cooled boxer twin, and has obvious differences from its air-cooled predecessor.
While the photo is noticeably of poor quality (isnt funny how spy shots are always taken on bargain bin camera phones?), it does appear to give away the fact that the shaft drive has been moved from the right to the left side, with the exhaust can also moving to the opposite side of the current R-Series. These facts alone tell us there is a new motor hidden underneath the updated bodywork seen above. Road-testing this early in the year could suggest that well see BMW unveil the design as early as the Fall motorcycle shows as a 2012 model.
Source: SoloMoto

http://www.asphaltandrubber.com/news...-spotted-wild/
lordabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 11:55 AM   #82
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,264
Oh my God I have this nightmare that I saw this before.

Maybe it will just be an option. If you don't believe in liquid cooling you can just drain it. Dave
Old 02-05-2011, 01:31 PM   #83
JustKip
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,554
Ever see the Bill Murray movie "Groundhog day"?

So has everybody else
JustKip is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:33 PM   #84
Scottly
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by lordabhi View Post
You're making us noobs look bad, noob....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=657113

Look down about ten threads and you'll see it.
Scottly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 10:32 PM   #85
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I really like the Original

tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 02:50 AM   #86
Avocet
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
It's interesting that the air is going into the engine from the top of the cylinders and the exhaust is on the bottom. This would allow one cam shaft to operate both exhaust valves and the other to operate both intake valves, unlike the present twin-cam engine, where the gas flow is back to front.

That change would allow variable valve timing with separate control of the intake and exhaust valves, like BMW uses on their car engines. Why else would they make a change like that? It will eliminate the exhaust pipes coming out the front of the engine, which are one of the thins that give the boxers their distinctive appearance, and would also seem to require a sharp bend of the exhaust pipe just as it exits the cylinder, to keep it away from the ground. Variable valve timing might justify this change, but I don't know what else would.

There will need to be a water pump somewhere. Early 3 cylinder SAAB cars had the water pump on the back of the alternator housing (actually it was a generator back then), so a single pulley and belt could drive them both, on a common shaft. This would seem like a good arrangement for a GS, since it would place the water pump up where it can't be damaged.

One thing I like about the air-cooled GS is that the riding experience is devoid of blasts of hot air off a radiator, which many water cooled bikes suffer from. I hope they manage to maintain this advantage. If not, that alone might make me keep my present bike.
Avocet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 07:22 AM   #87
Deans BMW
Granpa Hoon

Oddometer: 3,065
Quote:
One thing I like about the air-cooled GS is that the riding experience is devoid of blasts of hot air off a radiator, which many water cooled bikes suffer from. I hope they manage to maintain this advantage. If not, that alone might make me keep my present bike.
Here to fore, BMW has been quiet sucessful in controlling radiator heat to the rider in their to date LC bikes, just sayin.
www.Motorcyclistcafe.com
Founder San Jose BMW
Deans BMW is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:11 AM   #88
tallguy-09
Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer: 1,436
I know I've asked before, can you spot the boxer engine on the first picture? The panniers look BMW but the rest looks Triumph 1200 to me??? And yes I'd buy a GS (LC).
tallguy-09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:19 AM   #89
Stinkyb
GS"eh" rider

Oddometer: 355
Sounds like more mechanical systems that ultimately will fail, or cause more problems than there actually worth. I'll run the crap out of my 06gsa..may take a while, than move to an 09 or 08.
Why redesign the engine, when they can redesign the final drive...perhaps resolve withstanding faults that have been clogging these forums like a single toilet at a family reunion.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:43 AM   #90
jrfuisz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 44
So is the thinking that it will be impossible to get any air/oil cooled engine past emissions in a year or two?

If not, then the emissions issue is a canard. There will be a lot of bikes that no longer exist in the next few years if that is true.

I suspect the real issue is the perceived need by marketing to offer more power to sell bikes. Maybe it's lost sales to the multistrada. But at 120-130 hp I'm not buying a new GS. Rather sad.
jrfuisz is offline   Reply With Quote