Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-11-2011, 06:40 AM   #76
vacantstare OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Wow, here's my very first post about airheads back on the first page again.

And now, 1 1978 R100/7, 5 months, 2 girlfriends (only one was a casualty of the bike), and I don't want to say how many thousands of dollars later, I'm replacing starters, rebuilding forks, upgrading brakes, getting stuff painted and wondering every day what I got myself in to.

And I have no regrets. I love the thing.

vacantstare screwed with this post 02-11-2011 at 06:46 AM
vacantstare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:50 AM   #77
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
I would love to have a hat that looked like a peanut cover! That would be brilliant! HMMM< maybe hit on a marketing jewel here!

Well, I too went back to the front page and found this ^ !! Brilliant, indeed!
Old 02-11-2011, 08:20 AM   #78
dvblue_2000
Probationary

Oddometer: 75
I wish there was a valve cover similar to old VWs that just clipped on and off.

dvblue_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #79
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by dvblue_2000 View Post
I wish there was a valve cover similar to old VWs that just clipped on and off.

The bail probably wouldn't hold up well in a crash. Then the valve cover falls off, crud gets in the valve train and getting back on the road is a bit more complicated.

Some of these design elements were actually the result of thoughtful study.
Old 02-11-2011, 09:47 AM   #80
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper X View Post
Dood, I'm like Cromagnon! I have a 86, 91, and a 97 trooper! My 97 spit a plug out about 3k miles after i bought it because the PO (fukin dumass) didn't tighten them right when he replaced them before I got it. The 91 I got for $100.00 and it is in excellent shape save for the hole in the oil pan where a rod bit came flying out after the girl i bought it from let her EXTEREEEMMMEEE boyfrend off road it one night.
My parents had an 87 trooper...great trucks...basic. Until you let a garage do the valves and the destroy them at 120k. My first truck was the 1992 2wd 4cyl Isuzu PU. Did I have fun in that truck
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 10:37 AM   #81
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,531
Quote:
Originally Posted by vacantstare View Post
Wow, here's my very first post about airheads back on the first page again.

And now, 1 1978 R100/7, 5 months, 2 girlfriends (only one was a casualty of the bike), and I don't want to say how many thousands of dollars later, I'm replacing starters, rebuilding forks, upgrading brakes, getting stuff painted and wondering every day what I got myself in to.

And I have no regrets. I love the thing.

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 05:00 PM   #82
dvblue_2000
Probationary

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkens View Post
The bail probably wouldn't hold up well in a crash. Then the valve cover falls off, crud gets in the valve train and getting back on the road is a bit more complicated.

Some of these design elements were actually the result of thoughtful study.

This would work fine for me. I don't go down a lot.
dvblue_2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:50 PM   #83
Alpine003
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
What more could you possibly want to know? They're CC Products "Cool Covers" and they're NLA as of a long time ago.

If you advertise on the web, you can sometimes find a used set for a couple hundred bucks or so but mine aren't for sale. Yet...
Thanks, I guess I was looking to see if this was more a style thing or if these covers actually were stronger or had some other advantage over stockers.

Lucky me, these came on my bike and I was actually thinking of replacing them with the peanut style...
Alpine003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 11:41 PM   #84
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine003 View Post
Thanks, I guess I was looking to see if this was more a style thing or if these covers actually were stronger or had some other advantage over stockers.

Lucky me, these came on my bike and I was actually thinking of replacing them with the peanut style...
Oh... You actually had a question!

The CC Products Cool Covers were advertised as being stronger, heavier, and quieter than the stock parts and they were also supposed to help with engine cooling. AFAIK, those claims are all true but it'd be hard to confirm any cooling advantages. One of their best features is that they have o-rings instead of gaskets. The rings last a long time and mine have never leaked a drop. Not yet anyway...

If yours are in nice condition, hang on to em. I initially bought mine because my bike is loaded with 80's after-market accessories but the looks have kinda grown on me as time has passed.

Now... Don't drop your bike!

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 12:20 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:32 PM   #85
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by mymindsok View Post
Oh... You actually had a question!

The CC Products Cool Covers were advertised as being stronger, heavier, and quieter than the stock parts and they were also supposed to help with engine cooling. AFAIK, those claims are all true but it'd be hard to confirm any cooling advantages. One of their best features is that they have o-rings instead of gaskets. The rings last a long time and mine have never leaked a drop. Not yet anyway...

If yours are in nice condition, hang on to em. I initially bought mine because my bike is loaded with 80's after-market accessories but the looks have kinda grown on me as time has passed.

Now... Don't drop your bike!
I believe that Chris' idea about the better cooling was that since there was no huge gasket, the heat could transfer through the valve cover more completely.
He would know..............................

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 05:37 PM   #86
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I believe that Chris' idea about the better cooling was that since there was no huge gasket, the heat could transfer through the valve cover more completely.
He would know..............................
Yep. From an old CC catalog:

"...deep fin design projects a powerful profile...thick alloy to dampen valve noise...external and internal fins provide maximum cooling...polished fin edges accent gloss black...o-rings...1) won't leak 2) metal to metal contact provides heat transfer and cooler head temperature...vital on today's hotter running, emission controlled engines. $179.95 pair"

All of it makes perfect sense...until the part about dropping head temps. I'd need to see two thermometers on one bike - one head with the Cool Cover and the other w/ a stock cover - before I'd believe that head temps are dropped in any meaningful way. There's already a lot of fin surface area in the hottest part of the head. But I'm a skeptic.
Old 02-12-2011, 09:42 PM   #87
Alpine003
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Thanks guys for the great info regarding CC covers. I will most likely hang on to them and possibly just keep them on for now.
Alpine003 is offline   Reply With Quote