Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-12-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Happy Snapper OP
GOMOB.

Oddometer: 2,079
Goose Feather's Magical Mystery Tour....

Well.. I had some new tyres fitted to Grande Rouge (Big Red) and wanted to try out these E07... so a ride was what I wanted.

The new tyres.....

And I fitted a windscreen riser to allow for an accessory dash as well. Wanted to try this too.

Anyhow.. Gregor suggested Ripley Road. To get there we rode along towards the Gap to get to Gap Creek Road and then onto Kohlo Crossing. The damage here from the floods is amazing.

And of course it's 40 kmh.. so naturally the road workers were having a day off.. leaving room for the Queensland Government revenue collectors in their Red Commodore Candy cars to sting a lot of drivers.

From here we went to Ipswich (I think.. after all it was a magical mystery tour) and had a small post breakfast snack along the way here. (Wherever it is!)

From here it was off to Ripley Road. We stopped for a small break and I found out what happens if you hold the camera back to front when you take a picture:

Ripley Road is an interesting ride.. came across a small lizard that ran up the hill in front of me on his back legs... Monolizard Australianous?

Now when we came to the end of the road... we headed into Beaudesert and on to Boonah where we had a top lunch. From here it was on to Aratula and then the real Magical Mystery Tour began. Gregor studied his map, his GPS and we went along this incredible network of tiny dirt roads that brought us to Rosewood... where I took this pic of Gregor getting ready to continue the magical mystery tour.

The plan here was to go back home to Brisbane's North side via Mt Crosby.. but somehow with me leading we ended up in down town Ipswich. So we legged it down the highway home.

Not many pictures this trip.. but had a great day out with the Feather all the same. The Mitas E07 tyres are surprisingly good on loose gravel. The 606s were knackered and I wanted some more road oriented tyres for my autumn outback trip.

Perhaps Gregor might put the map up on the site... I have no idea where we were half the time.. and the other half of the time I was lost!

Never trust atoms.... they make up everything!

Read my Blog: http://snapshotsfrommark.blogspot.com.au

Happy Snapper screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 01:09 AM
Happy Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:29 AM   #2
Goosefeather
Captain Slow

Oddometer: 845
Although we usually knew where we were, we weren't quite sure where we were going .

Another enjoyable day! Surprisingly, not many back-tracks, given the hit and miss navigating.

We managed to meet up at a servo with no fuel . . . the day could only improve from there

Smoko was at Mt Crosby, just before we hit the revenue raising at Colleges Crossing (never quite made it to Kholo - part of the mystery). I'm all for lowered speed limits at active roadworks, but the length of section set at 40 kph is far longer than reasonable people would deem necessary. (Conflicting with Australian standards for setting speed limits - one criteria is reasonableness).

The river flow at the crossing must have been incredible.

The route as followed:

Or as loaded into Google Earth:

The Ripley Road section:

The Queensland government has been spending some money, upgrading the Beaudesert-Boonah Road:

The homeward leg (more or less Aratula-Rosevale-Mt Mort-Grandchester-Rosewood):

Goosefeather screwed with this post 02-12-2011 at 03:43 AM
Goosefeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:41 PM   #3
boy60
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 698
a great RR. It drives you mad when they lower the speed limit for so long.
boy60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
motocyklista
Adventurer

Oddometer: 34
Good trip guys
I like that area.Maybe one day we meet for trip together .
motocyklista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 04:55 AM   #5
Phil_Fong
Labelled Extremist

Oddometer: 12,696
Great trip and pics fellas I lived at Aratula for 10 years and the trip out beyond the fruit shop was always a favorite.
Incidently, the Bremer River starts at Rosevale.

Phil_Fong is offline   Reply With Quote