ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2011, 10:53 PM   #61
scottnt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 25
Stop by and say Hi

Hey AppleJam, I just picked up a 1200 GS Adventure a couple of weeks ago. I work at the Walgreen's here in Hood River. I'm one of the pharmacists. Stop by and say hi, I'd love to hit some back roads with you and some of the other ADVrider guys.
scottnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 11:21 PM   #62
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,043
Well howdy

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnt View Post
Hey AppleJam, I just picked up a 1200 GS Adventure a couple of weeks ago. I work at the Walgreen's here in Hood River. I'm one of the pharmacists. Stop by and say hi, I'd love to hit some back roads with you and some of the other ADVrider guys.

I get all my drugs from the walgreens on the heights. I guess Hood River is starting to come around with some riders. While we do have so
E legendary ADV members we always need more.
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:26 AM   #63
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Oddometer: 6,294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxacceleration View Post
I can't put together any dates yet for Or trips I want to get involved in. But I'd guess there is snow in most of those Mt Hood areas.
Really I have mucho freedom to ride.

I will consult with my Wenatchee buddy and put together a date. I think with his time allowed we may only be doing part of the OBDR.
That snow thing is why my weekly rides are taking me East so far. It is kinda scary how much snow the hills don't have this time of year.

Did you check S1Marks dates at the end of July? I could make those work......You?
...then that land should be open for public use" (peterman)
Apple Jam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 07:35 AM   #64
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by s1marks View Post
John (asrivor) and I have been planning on riding the OBDR last week in July. I know Jesse (Jungle Man) wants to ride it too. So....date laid down. Last week of July.

I can flex (some) right now....I won't be able to flex the date much if I leave it to late june to set it (not sure about John....not sure about Jesse either). I'm planning on riding it on the KLR...not the GS.

S1
WestFest in Darby Montana ends that Sunday, and I've been tossing that around in my head. What day of the week are you thinking of starting? And which direction do you plan to go, North to South?

I'm not sure if I'm doing WestFest, but if yer leaving Monday of that last week in July AND you're doing OBCDR from North to South........I could do BOTH
Old 02-15-2011, 07:48 AM   #65
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottnt View Post
Yay, a local big bike rider .......you ready to get that bitch dirty? My advice, break of a mirror and a blinker quick, and scratch up those pretty valve covers quick and get it out of the way. That's what I did, and I think all the scratches are prettier than that shiny orange unscathed paint!! I did buy a new mirror and blinker, the other blinker is just taped up. You hardly notice

Seriously, though, did you see my ride post for this week, up the Klickitat and over to Bickleton on this Friday? If you could swing it, that would be the PERFECT break-in cruise for you and your bike. I don't need to do any dirt, unless you want to .
Old 02-15-2011, 10:06 AM   #66
Maxacceleration
What now

Oddometer: 2,035
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apple Jam View Post
That snow thing is why my weekly rides are taking me East so far. It is kinda scary how much snow the hills don't have this time of year.

Did you check S1Marks dates at the end of July? I could make those work......You?
I enjoyed riding with those two FF's at last years Hells Canyon.
Yes I will try to make that time slot work.

I would love to do the OBDR on my Triumph, although I would probably struggle in places with it. ...I have a smaller bike too.

Yo John

Sounds dangerous.
Maxacceleration is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 10:26 AM   #67
s1marks
Mercedes

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
WestFest in Darby Montana ends that Sunday, and I've been tossing that around in my head. What day of the week are you thinking of starting? And which direction do you plan to go, North to South?

I'm not sure if I'm doing WestFest, but if yer leaving Monday of that last week in July AND you're doing OBCDR from North to South........I could do BOTH
The 'loose' plan was to leave on Saturday 23rd and ride it North to South. I think John wants to ride every inch of it and not miss anything! I'm less worried about covering it all in one session, I want ot have some fun riding it and camp out in the wilds with good company. I need to be home by Sunday 31st for work the following day.

Ernie, you'll I think you 'rode' with John out at Hells Canyon and 'waited' for me. I think you'll find me a heck of a lot swifter on the KLR, I'm a lot less concerned about droppomg it and the TKC's on it were a revelation, particularly when it gets a little slimey. Planning on bringing the KLR to Hells Canyon this year.

S1
Old 02-15-2011, 10:55 AM   #68
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Oddometer: 1,877
Quote:
The 'loose' plan was to leave on Saturday 23rd and ride it North to South. I think John wants to ride every inch of it and not miss anything! I'm less worried about covering it all in one session, I want ot have some fun riding it and camp out in the wilds with good company. I need to be home by Sunday 31st for work the following day.

Ernie, you'll I think you 'rode' with John out at Hells Canyon and 'waited' for me. I think you'll find me a heck of a lot swifter on the KLR, I'm a lot less concerned about droppomg it and the TKC's on it were a revelation, particularly when it gets a little slimey. Planning on bringing the KLR to Hells Canyon this year.

S1
Well our little secret is out. We will take all the cool riders we can fit it sounds like. Although we may have to split into smaller groups in order to cover ground. So soon we will all meet at a location TBD that is close enough for everybody and discuss a plan of attack. I want to crush this OBDR. Soooo excited. Please give post or pm where you live to centralize the meeting location. Thanks John

Just cause I'm wrong, don't make you right / Needtobreathe
Our OBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=712724
Our UTBDR Trip http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=816500
asrvivor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:11 AM   #69
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:

I would love to do the OBDR on my Triumph, although I would probably struggle in places with it. ...I have a smaller bike too.

Yo John

Well, Asrvivor's title above his Avatar now says "Ex-bacardi lover", last I checked, so you must have drank him into the dirt last Hell's trip

Quote:
I want to ride every inch too. I've done a couple of week long rides now, and thay are a blast.
Wild camping just adds a lot to it, but on the other long rides I've done, most riders have not been into that part of the adventure....(city boys ).
I, too, don't want to miss anything, but I want to take the time to stop often to take plenty of pictures and take in the sights, sounds, and smells, when they are deserving.

I'd rather take the time to do it with low stress, and not rush,
I like to leave when the morning is ready for us (but I'm an early riser), and get to camp well before dark to set up in comfort.

I learn so much more and become better when I ride every day, day after day, on these long trips.
I only have the big Orange Pig to ride, but I've learned to be fast (I didn't say good, just fast ) on pretty much any kind of road,
only the truly nasty stuff makes me slow down, and that's when I fall; when I slow down.
So I try not to slow down
Old 02-15-2011, 11:20 AM   #70
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by asrvivor View Post
Well our little secret is out. We will take all the cool riders we can fit it sounds like. Although we may have to split into smaller groups in order to cover ground. So soon we will all meet at a location TBD that is close enough for everybody and discuss a plan of attack.
I want to crush this OBDR. Soooo excited. Please give post or pm where you live to centralize the meeting location. Thanks John
Well what do you know, there he is !! Snuck in while I was writing my post.

I like your attitude about this ride .
I'd love to ride with you on this, Asrvivor, we kinda missed the ride part last time we met on our Barlow Trail ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmagoolin View Post
What part of the OBDR are you thinking of doing? I have some extra time to take off this summer and would like to do the OBDR Lakeview to Walla Walla. I have all the tracks for this section. My schedule is somewhat flexiable. If you are willing to let me in on it.
mrmagoolin wanted to do a portion of this at the North end, I don't know where/can't find where Lakeview is,
but we could include him and start in Walla Walla, just across the border.....

Are you guys thinking 5 days, or 7 days.....
Old 02-15-2011, 11:40 AM   #71
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
Well what do you know, there he is !! Snuck in while I was writing my post.

I like your attitude about this ride .
I'd love to ride with you on this, Asrvivor, we kinda missed the ride part last time we met on our Barlow Trail ride.

mrmagoolin wanted to do a portion of this at the North end, I don't know where/can't find where Lakeview is,

Are you guys thinking 5 days, or 7 days.....
Hey Applejam, I'm bringing about $4000 worth of camera and lenses. So ya, I'm gonna stop at every little frickin neat lookin view I see. I know Mark will be OK with this. We don't have to ride the whole thing in one day. We'll go as fast as the slowest and not push anyone. And start the day when the rooster stops crowing. Oh and I plan on stopping before dark. I hate setting up camp in the dark. Gives no time to bullshit around the fire about how well we rode that day.

Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #72
mrmagoolin
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 516
Quote:

Lakeview is by the southern end. I would prefer to ride south to north as I live in Pendleton. But would be willing to ride either direction. Have commitments on the 29th and 30th of July.
mrmagoolin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 11:44 AM   #73
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:

Yo John

Yes I will make room for the captain. Gotta stay warm eh Ernie?

Old 02-15-2011, 11:48 AM   #74
Apple Jam OP
Forest Flyer

Quote:
Hey Applejam, I'm bringing about $4000 worth of camera and lenses. So ya, I'm gonna stop at every little frickin neat lookin view I see. I know Mark will be OK with this. We don't have to ride the whole thing in one day. We'll go as fast as the slowest and not push anyone. And start the day when the rooster stops crowing. Oh and I plan on stopping before dark. I hate setting up camp in the dark. Gives no time to bullshit around the fire about how well we rode that day.
Quote:
Yes I will make room for the captain. Gotta stay warm eh Ernie?
That's the ticket; we're gonna get along juuuust fiiiiine.

So.....3, 5 or 7 days? I have not studied the route to guess at that.
I'm not trying to push the time thing, or change any plans you may have already made, but....
Honestly I'm just testing the waters to see if I can still squeek in WestFest, and start this ride with you guys on Monday, July 25th??????
Old 02-15-2011, 11:53 AM   #75
asrvivor
Rabies Cure ????

Quote:
That's the ticket; we're gonna get along juuuust fiiiiine.

So.....3, 5 or 7 days? I have not studied the route to guess at that.
I'm not trying to push the time thing, or change any plans you may have already made, but....
Honestly I'm just testing the waters to see if I can still squeek in WestFest, and start this ride with you guys on Monday, July 25th??????
This is probably something we'll discuss when we get together soon. Gotta get the GPX tracks from crazybrit and see where we can pull out to ride home fast on pavement. John