User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
Honda Scoot OP
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 357
Impassible WV Roads

My brother "L" and I traveled to West Virginia Sat / Sun for a two day Dual Sport Adventure. I wanted a short, close to home, ride that would still satisfy our need for adventure.

We conjured up a plan to
ride the roads marked "Impassible" on the Wetzel and Tyler WV County Maps.

http://gis.wvdot.com/gti/08_County_M...zel_1_of_2.pdf

We rode through this area earlier this year as part of the TWVT Northern Connector (thanks again Chip!). We got off track and found really terrible roads that were incredibly fun to ride.

The plan is to run south on Ohio state routes eating up twisty triple digit highways to save the centers of the rear tires. This worked out pretty well and was great fun just getting to the river.

"L" secured lodging at a much nicer motel than we had used previously. After riding four hours, we dumped our gear in the room Saturday afternoon and hit the back roads.

Typical County Road Nothern Wetzel Co.

On top of a hill for some pics.

"L" swears he is smiling for the camera. Who knows?

Unfortunately the very first "Impassible Road" just out of town was blocked. The second road went straight up towards the sky (Rocky Hill Climb that went on forever). When we reached the "Most Impassible Section" I declined and "L"
questioned my manliness (this happened twice in two days). Later I was told that "L" also feared that section but was more frightened of the decent back down the mountain that we had just climbed.

We rode some dirt roads with ridiculously difficult sections for a couple of hours then hit town for dinner. Chinese Buffet in New Martinsville, WV. Real honest to goodness frog legs. Tastes like chicken? "L" says, "Like pond chicken!" I like them. Then back to the room for clean up and snoring.

Sunday morning we pack up and head to Bob Evans for breakfast. We met a guy from Cleveland on a show room clean new KLR650 in the parking lot. We discussed our planned ride and invited him on a County Tour. He politely declined, so we gave him an extra map and went inside.

After ordering I had to use the rest room (been hitting the Gattor Aid hard for two hours). Stall 1 had the door shut and stall 2 was open. I walked to the urinal and heard weird noises emanating from stall 1. Grunting mixed with a horse whinny. This made me L.O.L. Then it repeated. So being the insensitive person that I am, I started mocking him by making my own horse noises. Then a flush was heard from the stall. I'm in mid stream and committed. Nuts! I'm going to have a face off with this dude. The door opens and a women walks out! She looks terrified and shouts, "OMG! Is this the mens room?" My response, "It's were all the men hang out!" She runs out and into the restaurant. On my way back to the table, I hear a commotion in the corner with a table of people are looking at me. I sit down across from my brother. He looks just like our father as he peers over his glasses and asks me, "What did you due?".

We rode as many of the impassible Creek Bed Roads and Ridge Roads in Wetzel County and south into Tyler County as time would allow.

Creek Bed Cross Road

A short video that "L" put together.

The creeks were fairly dry. But up on the mountain tops there was still water and mud?

A great ride and close to home. Always a winning combination!

Honda Scoot screwed with this post 10-13-2010 at 05:21 PM
Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #2
surly357
Cochetopa dreamin'

Oddometer: 532
i like that crossroad pic! looks like a street sign from any suburban neighborhood.....
surly357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:32 PM   #4
nanisx
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 104
Sick!!! id love to hit this roads
nanisx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #5
TheSweep
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
We went through Wetzel on labor day. Street riding though. Saw some nice country.
TheSweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:33 PM   #6
VA Rider
New Adventure Rider

Oddometer: 18
Hey Guys,
Thanks for the map PDF. I am going to take a look at the area you were riding in and take the 990 for a spin out there.

Cheers
VA Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:42 PM   #7
squonker
Eat my shorts

Oddometer: 3,970
Lotsa fun!!

Ride Report: Canada North to South 2008 here
Drive Report: Ice Road Trucking 2005-2014 here

squonker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 06:27 AM   #8
RideSMORR
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Thanks for the map! Being a dual sporting rookie this will help me a lot. I just have to figure out how to use a gps and away we go.
RideSMORR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2011, 09:37 AM   #9
Honda Scoot OP
My First Gold Chain

Oddometer: 357
Quote:
Originally Posted by RideSMORR View Post
Thanks for the map! Being a dual sporting rookie this will help me a lot. I just have to figure out how to use a gps and away we go.
There are many great roads that need explored when the weather breaks! Here is more video from last year.

Honda Scoot is offline   Reply With Quote