Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-16-2011, 11:37 AM   #91
JohnF
Formerly Half-Fast

Oddometer: 23
Carb Vent Tee?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Im in La Junta Chile.I went about 200 miles from Esquel today.I am riding the Carratera Austral-what ever that is.It is dirt and gravel with not many people on it.The bike sputtered on me and I switched to the reserve gas.It was way too soon to need to do that.But when I did,it ran ok.WHeen I switched back to the normal gas position,a little later,it quit.In the middle of nowhere and raining.I checked the carb bowl-full.Then I drained it.I got full flow from the tank.I checked and had a good spark with my old plug.Still would not start.I poured some gas in the vacuum hose that feeds the petcock-and it started.I let it idle 5 minutes.Tryed to ride off,and it quit after 50feet.I was pushing it off the road when a guy and his little boy asked if I needed help.He had a small flatbed truck.We loaded it on the truck and headed to his town,La Junta.I have it in his small horse shed.i WILL ALSO SET MY TENT UP IN THE SMALL UNUSED space.There is a restaurant 2 blocks away.And I am at a Copec gas station that has internet computers.A man at the restaurant told me it rains 24 hours a day this time of the years.I think I am going to set my tent up and go to bed early.

The way this problem comes and goes so abruptly,I think it may be a sticky valve.When I put gas in the intake,I held my finger on the vacuum line and felt good vacuum.Of course it started then.So if it is a sticky valve,it may have cooled off and closed.Atleast I'm not setting my tent up in the middle of nowhere.

Don't know how often I will get to use the internet here.At least I'm1500 miles farther from home now than the last time the bike quit.
Doug, JohnF from Cincinnati. I had an '08 KLR and remember doing the "Carburetor vent line Tee modification". That modification was to install a tee in the float bowl's vent line. The reason was to allow any water that may have become "stuck" in the vent line to drain out. With the tee the bowl would be vented to atmosphere by a tube that runs upward to an always dry location under the tank as well as by the original vent line running downward. If the vent line becomes "plugged" with water the results are erratic fuel delivery. That's just a WAGuess but worth trying. Best of wishes for your adventure!
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 04:11 PM   #92
southbound1
Tarbaby

Oddometer: 9
with apologies......

markharf, thanks for correctig me. I know that's the answer he gave me, but it obviously wasn't the question i asked. would that definition work for "Patagonia"? Southbound1 merrill
southbound1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 05:55 PM   #93
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
Doug, JohnF from Cincinnati. I had an '08 KLR and remember doing the "Carburetor vent line Tee modification". That modification was to install a tee in the float bowl's vent line. The reason was to allow any water that may have become "stuck" in the vent line to drain out. With the tee the bowl would be vented to atmosphere by a tube that runs upward to an always dry location under the tank as well as by the original vent line running downward. If the vent line becomes "plugged" with water the results are erratic fuel delivery. That's just a WAGuess but worth trying. Best of wishes for your adventure!
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I have done that modification
Thanks
Doogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 07:56 PM   #94
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Even after doing the carb vent T-mod, sometimes one or the other vent line gets kinked or plugged with dirt. I've had both. I've also had similar issues due to a broken baffle within my muffler, which created a randomly occuring backpressure issue. There are about a hundred other things I'd check at this level of simplicity....and I'm no mechanic.

I wondered, for example: are you thinking stuck intake or exhaust valve, or stuck petcock vacuum feed? The latter is not uncommon, the first an unlikely cause for your troubles, IMHO.

Good luck.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 03:26 AM   #95
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Are you able to get a new needle valve and try that? Could be sticking like you said or maybe leaking. Worth a try if you can find one easily enough at a Kawi or Suzi shop. If its leaking you should find gasoline under the bike in the morning, right? Or maybe not as I think your bike has a vacuum operated petcock? Is it a Mikuni BSR 41 CV carb?

Good luck amigo.

You mentioned about the Brazil Visa. I got mine in Montevideo, Uruguay, painless process. You could also get one in BsAs if you like. Takes a couple of days once you drop off your passport at the Brazilian consulate and fill out the online application. IIRC its about 140 bucks as well. Its called a reciproity fee, because that is what the US government charges Brazilians for a visa, although the Brazilians have to go through a much more painful process of interviews and supplying enormous amounts of paperwork to get a US Visa.

As the season moves into fall, Southern Brazil will be fantastic.

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 05:07 AM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 07:17 AM   #96
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I have another thread about problems I've had recently.But let me start new.My 06 KLR650 quit running about 1400 miles ago,way north of Santiago.Finally got it running,and don't know what I did.!400 miles were perfect.Then IT came back.I had great support from this forum.But I never identified the problem.The bike quit in the middle of nowhere in the rain with little traffic.A guy with a small flat bed truck picked me up and took me to his small horse shed.I set my tent up inside and had a dry place to work.

What I have done so far:
I have good carb venting.Easy blow through.
I have a good strong spark.Even after it dies-when I get it running
My float is set very close to spec.There is gas in the bowl.It is a CV carb.
The CV diaphragm looks good.
I took the carb apart.Looks clean.Blew thru all orifices and jets that I could.
Dumped most of my gas (7 gallon tank)into a bucket.No debris or water.
I have vacuum(can't say how much.Feeling from petcock vacuum hose).
Feels like good compression with spark plug out and turning over.

The couple times I got it started I let it idle.After about 5 minutes it stops.Immediately with an old plug on the side of the motor I have a good spark.I open the float bowl drain,and it drains a lot.I pull the petcock vacuum line and put one end in a gas can to suck gas straight into the intake,and it doesn't start.10 minutes later this method starts the motor.And 5 minutes later it quits again.

Only thing left I can think of is a sticking valve.When it warms up,it sticks.Before leaving the USA the bike had 10,000 miles on it.I set all the valves to the widest gap that was still in spec.Thinking I could do this trip without need to readjust.!2,000 miles now.I haven't checked the clearance yet.But I don't suspect a clearance problem to cause this.I don't think it would be such an abrupt stop.Would appreciate any thoughts.I want to spend Christmas in the USA.My internet is spotty here.A town of less than 200.And it is hard to get time on the 2 computers at the gas station,if they are open and if the internet is working.

Desperate Doug
Old 02-17-2011, 07:26 AM   #97
Dr. Benny
Enjoying the Journey

Oddometer: 856
Have you tried yelling at it? In Spanish of course...

Sorry I can't be more helpful. Goodluck and remember that all of us stuck at home are dreaming we could be in Patagonia having the problems you're having.
Old 02-17-2011, 07:55 AM   #98
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,898
I know nothing about the KLR.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 09:12 AM   #99
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
Best source of on-line mechanical advice for KLR's I've found is the DSN Yahoo group (DSN_KLR650@yahoogroups.com) and/or its moderator Fred Hink (http://www.arrowhea dmotorsports. com or moabmc@citlink.net). Fred's a good mechanic with a business catering to KLR's, and the list includes a few highly qualified folks with extraordinary patience.

Since they're mostly US-based and don't ride internationally, they'll be fascinated by your location and journey. Plus Fred can get parts to you, although there are considerations of customs and shipping which might make this impractical. Post a clear summary of symptoms and what you've tried (like the one above) and think pure thoughts.

Hope that helps.

Mark

PS: I've been to La Junta; not a whole lot going on there. Coyhaique reportedly had a few good motorbike mechanics, and although parts are scarce they can get stuff from the capital easily enough. I was through there just after the earthquake and nothing was available, including money from ATM's, so I kept going.
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 11:56 AM   #100
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
7 gallon tank? That is aftermarket, correct? Humm........... My guess is that the vacuum line to the petcock gets stretched and kinked sometimes, stopping fuel flow.

I say this because it sounds like the problem is fuel starvation.

First try a longer vacuum hose to the petcock and be careful how you route it so it doesnt get pinched somewhere when the tank is bolted down. It doesnt take much of a pinch in that line to stop the petcock from working, trust me on this.

Çan you buy a non vacuum petcock that will fit your tank? That is of course the best solution it it is indeed the problem. I freaking hate those vacuum petcocks, they are the source of many headaches. Plug the open vacuum hose if you do this. Might as well give it try, its not difficult. Suzuki or Kawi should have a non vacuum one that fits the KLR tank if you want to do it.

Just thinking out loud. It has got to be a very simple problem, just keep at it, you will figure it out. Relax and have some fun too, its all part of the experience, FWIW.

Suerte, Vince

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 12:05 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 01:29 PM   #101
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,869
I'm in Mendoza now and will be heading to Santiago then south in the coming week. Let me know if you need some parts ferry'd down to you.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 10:43 PM   #102
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=crashmaster;15213260]7 gallon tank? That is aftermarket, correct? Humm........... My guess is that the vacuum line to the petcock gets stretched and kinked sometimes, stopping fuel flow.

I say this because it sounds like the problem is fuel starvation.

First try a longer vacuum hose to the petcock and be careful how you route it so it doesnt get pinched somewhere when the tank is bolted down. It doesnt take much of a pinch in that line to stop the petcock from working, trust me on this.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I have spark and my fuel bowl is at the correct level immediately after it stops.
Today I went to the town mechanic.He thought it was bad gas.I added 4 new gallons to the old 3.I am in Coyhaique now.About 170 south of La Junta.It still has some problems.Hope with another fill up it gets better.I will do a better write up tomorrow.It's almost 3am and I'm tired.Just wanted to give some update.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #103
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misery Goat View Post
I'm in Mendoza now and will be heading to Santiago then south in the coming week. Let me know if you need some parts ferry'd down to you.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hope I don't need anything.I will probably know tomorrow if my problem is just bad gas.But if I do,I'll be hot on this forum.
Thanks
Old 02-17-2011, 10:52 PM   #104
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post

PS: I've been to La Junta; not a whole lot going on there. Coyhaique reportedly had a few good motorbike mechanics, and although parts are scarce they can get stuff from the capital easily enough. I was through there just after the earthquake and nothing was available, including money from ATM's, so I kept going.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Broke down in La Junta was some of my best time of my trip.And I am in Coyhaique now.I will update with pictures in the morning.Well in a few hours now.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:54 PM   #105
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=Dr. Benny;15211453]Have you tried yelling at it? In Spanish of course...

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Why yell???? I'm having a great time.