Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Latin America
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 05:19 AM   #106
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
Sounds like you are taking everything in stride and having a great time! Bad fuel? Well heck, thats no fun, too easy to fix.

Buen viaje!

crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #107
Drumboy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doogle View Post
Today I went to the town mechanic.He thought it was bad gas.
That would have been my first thought with an issue like this in South America but I figured you already checked it off the list.
Drumboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:40 AM   #108
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 517
First off,my bike is running some.I am in Coyhaique,Chile.About 170 miles south of La Junta.

Back to my trip now.When I left Argentina I planned to ride the Carretera Austral south.Not much traffic on this road of mostly dirt and gravel.

[/IMG]

I didn't get too far south when the bike quit again.

[/IMG]

I am looking for a place to set my tent up.It has rained the whole time I have been in Chile this time.Great conditions for working on a problem I couldn't resolve in good conditions.I got the bike started and it went about 50 feet.My battery is getting a little sluggish.I am pushing the bike to a safer spot on the road.A guy and a boy in a small flatbed pull up and ask if I need help.He tells me to load the bike on his truck.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]

It's about 5 miles to the town of La Junta.It's a town of about 1200 (per my wife).I thought the guy said 100.I told him I would like a hotel with cover where I could work on my bike.He says he has a horse shed that I can use.And if I want,I can set my tent up there too.So that's where I spent the night.It was a clean small horse shed.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

The next morning I am working on the bike,and I hear somebody in the other side of the shed.An old man comes over and talks to me.I don't understand a word he says.He signals me to follow him.We go next door to his small house.He makes coffee for me and gives me some bread and jam.I don't know him.And he doesn't know me.But he takes me into his house and feeds me.A little later this pretty young girl comes in.

[/IMG]

She is Cyntia,the sister of Aliro,the guy that brought me here.The old man is Vitalilio,their grandfather.

[/IMG]

Cyntia is a great girl.She had a translator in her Ipod,and we wore the batteries in it out.She cooked lunch and supper for us.Her boyfriend,Christian,came for lunch.He was mechanically minded and had good suggestions.AI think I was there till after midnight.

That night I stayed in an extra room at Vitalilio's house.Warm and dry.The next day Cyntia came and asked if I wanted to go to a mechanic.I thought maybe a new set of eyes would help.We went to a guy that had a lot of engine parts in his back yard.He looked at electrical connectors first.He brought out a pepsi bottle with gas and a hose and hooked it up to my carburetor.It ran kind of okay.He said to go fill up with new gas because he thought mine was bad.So I put 4 gallons on top of my 3 gallons.After taking Cyntia and Vitalilio to a nice restaurant for lunch I headed south on Carretera Austral.I want to thank Cyntia for being so helpful.She spent a lot of time with me.

[/IMG]

I did take some pictures going south.But when the engine RPM got low,it had a tendency to stall.The 2 times it stalled,I had a good hill to bump start it.The starter wasn't getting it done.I hope it is just some of the bad gas causing it.Many pictures I wanted to take and didn't because it was flat ground.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I didn't leave La Junta till 5pm.But I needed to get down the road some.10 miles before I get to Coyhaique my low beam goes out.I switch to the high beam.5 minutes later it goes out.I will drive with my turn signal on to get to town.I come to a tunnel.I go in 30 feet and can't see the other side.I turn around and wait for a car to follow.After following 2 cars through I go about 1/4 mile and the engine stops.With nothing else to do in the middle of nowhere again,I dig through my spare parts and find my headlight bulb that I took out in Central America.It burned out the low beam.I put it in and tried to start the motor.It argued for a while,but finally gave up and started.So I putted along to town.I went slowly because my high beam was flickering.It was living by a thread.I got to Glady's Hospedaje-$32.I am now debating whether to go to a bike shop or gamble that another fill up of good gas is all I need.I'll let you know the next time I have internet access.
Doogle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:42 AM   #109
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumboy View Post
That would have been my first thought with an issue like this in South America but I figured you already checked it off the list.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
I poured most of my gas into a bucket and looked at it.I didn't see any debris or water.That's the only kind of gas I ever dealt with.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:37 AM   #110
Misery Goat
Positating the negative

Oddometer: 74,869
Great story man, that's what it's all about down here, imo.

Same as it ever was

My Wanderlust
Misery Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:56 PM   #111
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

I am in Coyhaique,Chile for the third night now.Yesterday
I took the bike to a Honda dealer to look at my bike.

[/IMG]

Even though it started and ran great going there.15 minutes later it was their lunch time.And lunch is 1-3pm.So I walked around town.I saw 4 bikes on a side walk.1 from California and the others from Alberta.I couldn't find them so I left my card.I ate lunch nearby and hoped to see them when they returned.Somehow they left and I didn't see them.Hours later when I left the Honda shop,I saw the California KLR there again.So I stopped and talked to BJ.When we parted he told me where they were camping.I was going to stay in a room that night .But later I thought I should go camp with them and see what they had been doing.

[/IMG]

They had been on the road 6 1/2 and 7 months.Glad I talked with them.I may ship my bike to Miami with theirs' if it will make it to Buenos Aires.

I am copying from my thread on KLR650 forum below to save me some time:
---------------------------------------------------
When my bike stops I immediately open the carb bowl drain.And it drain for a long time.Took it to a Honda dealer yesterday.He couldn't identify the problem.He thinks it may be a coil acting up when it gets hot.Twice he wrenched and had me go ride it.I rode out of town,mostly wide open throttle for about 3 miles with no problem.Then I returned the same way.When I got in town and had to slow down it stalled at a red light.It was slow to restart,but did.Stalled at the next stop.Same procedure.Then 2 blocks later it stalled as I pulled into the shop.He fiddled again and had me go ride again.Almost identical stalling places.The third time I test rode,it didn't stall.But it was wanting to.I think the third time he enriched the idle jet some.I did notice that my temp gauge seems to be running warmer.It seems to be running more than half way across the dial.Not that high when I'm going fast.It is in the 80's here.I can't really say if that is high for these conditions or not.Just seems like I hear the fan more.

Well I decided I was going south this morning since it would run.10 miles out of town I have a flat on the rear.

[/IMG]

After fixing it,I decide to return to town and get a new front tire.Seems like they wear faster when they get down to1/4 life.Well they don't have any in town.Now 30 miles out of town,I stop to look a a route change.I see a lot of oil dripping on the ground.Looks like the countershaft seal is leaking.I return to town and everything is closed for the weekend.I got a room.I also have my left fork seal is leaking some.I think I will replace it with used spares I have tomorrow.I'm afraid to go with the C/S seal leaking the way it is.It could go from bad to open drain pretty fast.Oil is $6-7 a liter.And my brakes went away after running back to the pads.It sure feels like I not supposed to finish my trip.At least on this bike.

----------------------------------
Well tonight I'm in the Hospedaje Lo de Rocco-$36.They cater to rock climbers.But they said I could work on my bike here if I want.That's what I'll do tomorrow.If I stay another night I will need to tent it here.They will be full.That works fine too.They say I will be eligible to vote in Chile in 5 more days.
Old 02-19-2011, 06:27 PM   #112
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
Laugh

Well it is funny, not laugh at you kind of funny, but this is how that works... You may have saved your self a fate worse than death. Weird Huh?
Old 02-19-2011, 06:35 PM   #113
markharf
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 557
I've never even heard of anyone having so much trouble with a KLR. Are you 100% confident you're not paying for some sort of dastardly actions undertaken during a past lifetime?

I have listened to quite a few people speculating about what might be happening to a KLR coil or CDI when it gets hot. These discussions take place in response to random, frustrating issues like yours. In all cases (including my own), they were resolved, then forgotten, without changing out CDI or coil. Make of that what you will....but no matter how you look at it, your issues sound like fuel. Look for the simple solutions before getting into anything complicated. It's almost always simple.

Maybe you've already tried this, but I'd rig up a gravity-feed bag or bottle (it can be hung from handlebars if you're not prone to thinking about what would happen in a crash) full of clean fuel and try it out. That way you eliminate the vacuum petcock--a high probability cause for what ails you--and dirty fuel in one fell swoop.

Petcock bits and pieces go bad from time to time, and sometimes symptoms are intermittent. Fuel, vent and vacuum hoses get kinked or swell invisibly internally (<---take note). My air filter takes on water at irregular intervals when parked--not run--in the rain. You might also consider the way that engine heat is transmitted to carb and hoses. Some people have sworn by self-adhesive reflective foil tape to keep those areas cool during hot weather. Etc.

If all else fails, bring it to Javier. Or bring Javier to it.

Good luck.

Mark
markharf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:31 AM   #114
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudshaver View Post
Well it is funny, not laugh at you kind of funny, but this is how that works... You may have saved your self a fate worse than death. Weird Huh?
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

You know it is funny.And I usually look at bad things the way you said it.It's good I saw the problem here instead of in the middle of no where.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:39 AM   #115
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markharf View Post
I've never even heard of anyone having so much trouble with a KLR. Are you 100% confident you're not paying for some sort of dastardly actions undertaken during a past lifetime?

I have listened to quite a few people speculating about what might be happening to a KLR coil or CDI when it gets hot.

Mark
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I bought this KLR in July for this trip.It sounded like the most dependable ride.All I know about them is from reading here and KLR650 forum.I considered a spare CDI.But,as you say,and other experts advised,they don't go bad.Many are replaced wrongly.I am not down on KLR's."My" subframe bolts broke.The stock bolts would have broken sooner.Kawasaki is inexcusable for not correcting that problem after this many years.I now think my problems started with bad gas.I should have dumped it all and started fresh.It runs better now-maybe because it has diluted down.

As for the seals.I have read people have had problems with them while traveling down here.There like oil.You have to change them now and then.I just wish I could have a breather between the now and the then.

We put an inline filter on at the Honda dealer here.
The guy in La Junta used a gas setup as you described.That is when we decided on bad gas in the tank.

I just paid for my forth night here in Coyhaique.I am going to try replacing the fork seal now.Then if I can get the counter shaft nut off,I will look to see what is leaking.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:45 AM   #116
cloudshaver
marcusorass

Oddometer: 124
Thumb

Breaking down down in the middle of -no where- does suck and I hear tale they have a lot of it down there. I'm glad you found some where to work on that little klr. I've read so many stories about the klr almost not making it but in the end they all do; I guess that's why I got 1 too. I hope all your fixes work well.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:06 PM   #117
bananaman
transcontimental

Oddometer: 6,898
From the moment we met, I suggested that you ride your Harley! Dang.

You have the best attitude about this. I'm impressed.
bananaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:41 PM   #118
crashmaster
ow, my balls!

Oddometer: 5,191
It doesnt matter what brand or model. Its still a motorcycle and shit goes wrong, thats just the way it is.

you have a great attitude. Coyhaique is in a beautiful location and there are plenty of amenities around. I really liked that place. I was there for 5 days while Rob and I were fixing up his Road King and could have easily spent a couple of weeks riding around that area.

Dont worry too much about a leaky CS seal. Buy some high temp silicone at the local Home Center (like home depot) on the south side of town on the main road, and coat the crap out of it if the leak gets too bad. Dont forget to clean your float bowl and blow out the carb jets with compressed air as well, just in case!

Suerte!

PS, also if you do in fact have bad gasoline, the only thing that will fix the problem is to drain the tank completely and dry it out the best you can with compressed air, and start with fresh gas.

Sure, you can dilute the bad gas, but until you replace it completely, it will still run like shit. It only takes a few minutes do, so do it!

crashmaster screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 03:46 PM
crashmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 05:45 PM   #119
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=bananaman;15236980]From the moment we met, I suggested that you ride your Harley! Dang.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

And I told you if you ride a Harley down here,I would follow to get pictures.

I met a guy from Oaxaca,Mexico in Peru riding a Harley.He was going to TDF at a fast pace.Thought about riding with him.But they break down so often.I didn't want to be drug down that way.I'm not sure,but I think I may have seen him returning when I went through Serena,Chile last week.
Old 02-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #120
Doogle OP
Studly Adventurer

[QUOTE=crashmaster;15237176]
Dont worry too much about a leaky CS seal. Buy some high temp silicone at the local Home Center (like home depot) on the south side of town on the main road, and coat the crap out of it if the leak gets too bad.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

The seal does leak that bad.I added oil at the shop because I saw it was a little low.Still didn't know I had a leak.70 miles later the oil was at the very bottom of the site glass.And it will only get worser faster.

I think that oil is under pressure-I read that some months back.Don't know if that's true.But if so,I wouldn't try silicone.I changed out my fork seal today.

[/IMG]

[/IMG]

I was going to bring a socket for the front sprocket.Looking through my tools today,guess I decided you can't take everything for just in case.But the way things have been going,I think a trailer would have been a good option.I'm getting excited about leaving town to see what happens next.