Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-17-2011, 07:25 AM   #31
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boston View Post
Hey Paul, awesome trip - I'm jealous! Not that you've seen much bare asphalt thus far, but in your opinion, how do the Aerostich #4606 studs handle on clear asphalt? I've contemplated running studs while commuting but 80% of the time the roads are pretty clear. The other 20% sure is challenging without them though. What's your opinion -worth running the #4706 studs for commuting on a mix of bare and snow covered asphalt?

Have a safe and fun journey!
Cheers

For the past few years I have clocked almost 35k on snow and ice with these studs. They are awesome.. after trial and error i know that the 4606 do work best on he TKC 80's front and the 4707's on the rear... and they also work great on clear roads. they do not affect the way the bike runs, accelerate or brakes
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 08:27 AM   #32
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,231
Moved to Ride Reports to be enjoyed by a bigger audience

GB screwed with this post 02-17-2011 at 09:15 AM
GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 02:54 PM   #33
OldMedic
Trouble Maker

Oddometer: 54
If you need anynthing

Your in my back yard... Well, just down the street...

Oldmedic

Sick and Stupid people keep me employed
OldMedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #34
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,181
Paul I am trying to link you up with a guy from McMurray, a BMW guy that has done this ride. He is a great BMW biker. He did from Tuck to Prince Rupert to Halifax and back 9in the winter) on a BMW F800GS and he is in McMuray right now to do a charity ride to Fort Smith. You really need to talk to him. I sent you a personal PM to contact him. He lives in Renfrew Ont, you could call his Mrs.

JimmieA/
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:34 PM   #35
edge2edge
Evil Scotsman

Oddometer: 181
WOW!!!! You guys rock! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us!!!!
edge2edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2011, 05:56 PM   #36
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,401
YAHOOOOOO , way to go Paul, couple of my friends in Tete Jaune Cache called me to say they waved at your group.

Keep us posted, we are with you , safe ride,
gale
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:52 AM   #37
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Thanks guys! I m sorry about not having posted yesterday but we had a busy schedule. I rode the road from Grande Prairie to Peace River alone yesterday as joe had a front flat and we put his bike in the trailer. I did the whole 200 km in one shot at -25 C or so. it was an epic day.. it was snowing and there was some powder snow on the road. so every time i came across a rig or something bigger than me, which is everything else!!! I disappeared in a cloud of snow.

Very interesting when the road is covered with packed snow and ice and there are few rigs behind each other.
Good for the skills. Especially the ones where you have to let the handlebars do what they want to do.. Easy Nellie! Easy!!! Squeeze the legs. hold the seat (Pucker), focus, smooth on the controls except the bowel and stay the course whatever that is..

Plus the joints in the road beat me up. It was like I had no suspension. Now I know why these chopper guys walk like they have something stuck up their ass.. Their sphyncter is the only thing that flexes anymore.. Fer Krissesake! Now I got images in my mind I or you did not need to have.

We got invited to dinner by Frank from Travel Alberta right after we got here.. Somehow I was beat!
Today we are going to the World Pond Hockey Championship. 84 hockey teams i think are playing on 20 something rings in the country side. Cool! Then we are going to a winter Carnival in St-Isidore. we Leave Peace River tomorrow for Slave Lake for two days then Fort McMurray for two days where we will do the ice road.
it looks as if the cold is not wanting to let go. Oh well! That is what we are here for.

Talk to you soon
Old 02-18-2011, 06:17 AM   #38
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
Yes we do. The Aerostich studs #4606 and 4707. After trials and error the 4606 are the best for front and rear, and the tires are TKC 80's.

Hey Paul, out of curiosity, did you try regular automotive studs? If so, did you find they had significant disadvantages over the Aerostich studs, aside from the need to be inserted with a studding gun? Or have you only used the Aerostich studs?

I'm currently running a set of Pirelli Scorpion Pros with automotive studs, and they work great on hardpack, although the knob pattern on the rear tire is a bit too spread out so the rear gets a little squirrelly with the slightest hint of slush. I'm tempted to keep the front tire (which works well) and next year replace the rear with a TKC or Dunlop D606 or something. If those Aerostich studs present a significant advantage, I'll spring for those instead of finding a studding gun to borrow.

Thanks, and enjoy your ride up north! I'll be following along with enthusiasm.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 AM   #39
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Hey Paul, out of curiosity, did you try regular automotive studs? If so, did you find they had significant disadvantages over the Aerostich studs, aside from the need to be inserted with a studding gun? Or have you only used the Aerostich studs?

I'm currently running a set of Pirelli Scorpion Pros with automotive studs, and they work great on hardpack, although the knob pattern on the rear tire is a bit too spread out so the rear gets a little squirrelly with the slightest hint of slush. I'm tempted to keep the front tire (which works well) and next year replace the rear with a TKC or Dunlop D606 or something. If those Aerostich studs present a significant advantage, I'll spring for those instead of finding a studding gun to borrow.

Thanks, and enjoy your ride up north! I'll be following along with enthusiasm.

--mark
Hi Mark!
Yes I have tried other types in the past, and even though the automotive are a bit better on ice ( A Bit) I find that they are the craps on dry asphalt as you lose braking and traction. The Stich ones you do not even feel on asphalt and to not affect the way your bike feels during braking or accelerating. On our was here we were riding at 100 km/h (60 MPH) at times and tried to break the rear end lose while we were on ice and it was hard. My rear TKC i have used in 08 and for the 2010 FBT i gave to my friend Ryan and it has 25,000 kms on it and still has more than half the rubber left. Plus when you are done with them you can remove them and use your tire normally. That is one huge advantage.

I, for one would not do what I do anymore without the Stich studs. the #4706 are the cat's meow!!
I am not saying this just because they are onboard with us. I would not recommend something that is not good no matter what.

I hope this helps.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:08 AM   #40
Boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
Hi Mark!
Yes I have tried other types in the past, and even though the automotive are a bit better on ice ( A Bit) I find that they are the craps on dry asphalt as you lose braking and traction. The Stich ones you do not even feel on asphalt and to not affect the way your bike feels during braking or accelerating. On our was here we were riding at 100 km/h (60 MPH) at times and tried to break the rear end lose while we were on ice and it was hard. My rear TKC i have used in 08 and for the 2010 FBT i gave to my friend Ryan and it has 25,000 kms on it and still has more than half the rubber left. Plus when you are done with them you can remove them and use your tire normally. That is one huge advantage.

I, for one would not do what I do anymore without the Stich studs. the #4706 are the cat's meow!!
I am not saying this just because they are onboard with us. I would not recommend something that is not good no matter what.

I hope this helps.
Thanks Paul, this is SUCH good information! I am definitely going to give the Aerostich studs a try next winter. In the meantime, I'm thoroughly enjoying reading about your current ride! Safe travels!
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 07:14 AM   #41
agplant
Ride Fast Travel Slo

Oddometer: 285
Enjoy the hockey game, it is getting lots of advertising in the region.

Oh and
Old 02-18-2011, 08:53 AM   #42
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,626
Thanks, Paul, great information indeed! I'll have to stud up a tire with the Aerostich studs for next winter.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:56 PM   #43
workmybollocksoff
wmbo

Oddometer: 44
Loving this post guys, keep up the great ride reports.
Leo
workmybollocksoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:19 PM   #44
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Update

We got to Peace river Thursday at about 2 PM. I rode by myself because like I said Joe had a flat on his bike. Friday morning we removed the front wheel from his bike and tok it to the local Honda shop in Peace River. Nice guys. If you ever are round these parts (Winter or not) stop there if you need any thing. These guys are great
Peace Country Honda Div Of Rentco Equipment Ltd
7913 100 Ave, Peace River, AB T8S 1M5
780-624-4646

After taking the tire off the tech came in and asked Joe to come in the shop and see this. The guy said he has never seen anything like this. The tube was actually put in twisted. Completely twisted, and eventually the friction of the twisted rubber punctured a hole. Like the tech said, and I agree. This is and can only be caused by one thing and one thing only. Sheer incompetence. So please if anyone ever stop at Moto International to get tire repaired, make sure you ask the service writer to put a mechanic on the job and not a clown from the circus Barnum and Bailey.
The mechanic out in a liner and an HD tube in the tire. At first we thought that a stud might have gone through the carcass, but were relieved to see that it was Bozo that had screwed up.
After the repair we went to the Alberta Pond Hokey Championship. 84 teams and 24 rinks on lake. The weather was a balmy -32 C. This event is quite something to see.
http://albertapondhockey.com/
The best part of it is that they also have the world's biggest pond rink and have a game where 350 player battle with 10 pucks. The rink must be 350 feet long by 150 wide. This is nuts. I will post pictures of the tournament soon. Here is one

While i was there I was lucky enough to experienced something I was told I should try. well-actually two things.
1) I tried a "Rink Burger" This thing if we can call it a burger is the only thing I have ever paid almost $6 for and that tasted like NOTHING. The patty was some kind of concoction that was frozen for most likely 10 years and was made with products that have name destined to be pronounced in the best of Star Trek episodes. No taste whatsoever. Even the cheese wa tasteless. Has anyone ever had cheese that has no taste? Even bad cheese tastes something. Then, maybe it was not cheese. This is oil country after all. Where people live, breathe and dream oil. Maybe it is some kind of experiment. they get a cow to eat oil sand fed grass and the result is this plastic sheet called cheese. As for the "Beef Patty"? I would rather not know what it was. But one thing for sure! They were selling shit loads of them.
Glad I tried. Most players were eating them. And looking at them, these players playing pond hockey all week end at -30 something are not the type of guys I would say they are stupid to eat this in their faces. I could myself end up "IN" these patties.
Then we went to St-Isidore where we attended the "Carnival" Let me think here?

_
-30C
Place filled with French Canadian people
French Canadian food
French Canadian folk music
French Canadian Joie de vivre.
maple toffee made with real Quebec Maple Syrup (Yes! It deserves capital letters) and NO not the west coast telephone pole juice they call maple syrup......Blasphemy!
Sugar pies and tourtieres (The real thing)

Hell Yeah!! That was cool

After this we went to the hotel and called it a night early. We still have not processed all the pictures so I will post them as I get them.
We woke up this morning to a cool -30C. They had forecasted -8 to -12.
The only thing less accurate then a meteorologist's forecast is a lawyer telling he will speak truthfully. Well! the weather guys at least might be honest sometimes. the lawyer??? Not a chance. :o :o 8)
As we made our way across the valley outside Peace River, the temp dipped to -39C and the wind kicked in. That is when the display on the 800 GS stopped working. they were side winds and sucked the heat out of the hippo hands. My fingers were frozen solid.. We stopped on the side of the road to take some sunrise shots

It is about 300 km to Slave Lake and could not do it in one shot. DUH!!!

we wanted to stop at High Prairie but had an issue with Joe's 800. The engine warning light came on and then the oil light. I figured the oil was getting too cold and was not circulating enough, plus the head winds we were dealing with by that point were cooling the coolant too much. After letting idle for about 5 minutes the light went away. So we kept it at about 90 km/h and made it to High Prairie.
Shots below are for us going to Peace River.. Sorry for the wrong order. My brain is thawing out

We stopped at the Subway were we warmed up over breakfast and hooked IV's on us dripping coffee in our veins. While we were warming up, Jesse and Flora got a ride with a Local (Thanks Gregg) to the local auto parts shop where they got us 4 quarts of oil. they were low a bit.

I also built shields for the radiators out of Subway boxes, knowing that keeping the close to -40C air from the engine would help. Sure enough! We made it to Slave Lake without any further problem. Another thing I am pissed off about with MI in Montreal.. Why didn't they put 0w40 oil in them? it is beyond me. I know we will be OK now with the shields.
Tomorrow we are going to Atabasca for a Snowmobile race/rally event. George our Great Host here in Slave Lake is trying to get us some sleds to ride. But he s not sure yet.

We will see. We are leaving here on Monday to Fort McMurray to go ride the Ice Road.. I am so looking forward to this..

Stay tuned!

Iceman out ;)

I will post updated pictures tonight.

paulmondor screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 06:48 AM
Old 02-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #45
Boston
Adventurer

Oddometer: 90
Awesome, keep it coming....
Boston is offline   Reply With Quote