User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #25
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,375
I went for another ride yesterday. It would be a shame to waste another day of almost 70 degree weather. First I stopped at Cycle Gear to see if they had anything on sale I couldn't live without

But they didn't. So I headed off. My plan was to ride south to the Tennessee River, then head East along the river and cut back to Huntsville over the mountain. I was really itchin to find some twisty roads so I could have some fun on the Scooter

My first stop was this spot along the river.

It would have been nice to have some sunshine to go along with the warm weather, but I guess I shouldn't complain. Then I headed East. Stopped at a small gas station to top off since I didn't know what was ahead and didn't want to risk running out in the middle of nowhere. It took .55 gallons. That's not much but nearly half a tank.

I did eventually find a steep twisty road back over the mountain, but it was still covered with crap they put down after the recent snow storms...no peg (or is that floorboard) scraping today. I also didn't get any more pics. Not much of a ride report but I do have a few thoughts to comment on.

First: Scooters get no respect and no other riders will return your waves.
WRONG!!!
I saw a number of other bikes, some Harleys, Japanese cruisers, sport bikes, a gold wing and a KLR650. They all waved at me. Some responded to my wave and some waved first.

I guess it must be my totally awesome and bitchin looking Kymco Super 8.

Or maybe there are just some great people living in the Huntsville area.

That brings me to my next observation. Huntsville seems to be a really nice place to live. I have lived in many cities. Some of them I really liked, and some were pretty crappy places, most where somewhere in between. I would put Huntsville in the same league as the three other cities I really liked; San Diego, Bath (Me), and Marietta(GA).

One of the most important qualities of any city, for me anyway, is its proximity to good places to ride. So far I haven't really ridden very far outside the city limits.

Normally I don't even enjoy riding around in town but with the scooter I'm really enjoying it. To some extend it brings back memories of when I got my first bike and any ride, anywhere, was exciting. Over the years, I got bigger, "better", and more capable bikes. I have had to chance to ride many of the best roads in the country. (Palomar Mountain, Angeles Crest HWY, HWY1, White Rim Trail, Deal's Gap, Hurricane creek, BRP, etc). The end result is that I have become spoiled. It was getting more difficult to have a really great ride. Getting a scooter has made it easier to just go out and have fun on a short ride without actually going anywhere really exciting. And since many of my trips are for some other purpose, such as getting groceries, any fun I have is just a bonus. I don't feel as much pressure to do something exciting just to enjoy myself, yet I do end up enjoying it. Maybe this will wear off as the "new toy" syndrome of the scooter wears off. I'm hoping it doesn't. Only time will tell.

Still, I am really itching to take the scooter someplace where I can really see how it handles. I thing Deal's Gap would be a blast
I'll just have to risk getting spoiled.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 03:56 PM
klaviator is offline   Reply With Quote