User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 10:06 AM   #1
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,642
damned neutral switch again!!!

Yep, yearly leaking neutral switch on the G/S. Replaced it when I had the tranny out then it leaked less than a year later. Replaced it early last year (Max replaced it), now it's leaking again. Looks like I'll be plugging the thing.
2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 10:41 AM   #2
elmontanero
Practicing...

Oddometer: 1,703
Mine was working fine till the rebuild, now no love. And yeah... after the rebuild, with sealant from the builder, leaks.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:33 AM   #3
bgoodsoil
Dare to be Stupid

Oddometer: 4,283
I'm plugging mine. Which reminds me, I need to return the one Datchew loaned me.

Proud SmugMug User Support ADV: Don't give those cheap bums your discount code
bgoodsoil is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 11:35 AM   #4
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

Oddometer: 7,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgoodsoil View Post
I'm plugging mine. Which reminds me, I need to return the one Datchew loaned me.
Yes you do. I was wondering where that went. And bring me a slinger if you have any laying around. Not the repops mind you. Those are apparently junk.
datchew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:06 PM   #5
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
I had an idea, (yeah, yeah, why didn't it die of loneliness)
Heard it before.
Anyway, if someone here has the computer skills, howzabout we draft a cyber letter of complaint, get a SHITLOAD of pissed off inmates to sign it and I could get it to the right person at BMW.
If for no other reason than to get them to either change their vendor or put pressure on their vendor to fix the fucking switches.
Maybe some language about how the neutral switch is part of the Federally mandate SAFETY Starter cut-out blah blah...
Either way, we could hopefully collect enough signatures to get them (or her)to take notice.
Power in numbers.
I am personally sick of buying switches and will be plugging the very young switch on my bike that pukes oil.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:26 PM   #6
SUVslayer
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 756
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
I had an idea, (yeah, yeah, why didn't it die of loneliness)
Heard it before.
Anyway, if someone here has the computer skills, howzabout we draft a cyber letter of complaint, get a SHITLOAD of pissed off inmates to sign it and I could get it to the right person at BMW.
If for no other reason than to get them to either change their vendor or put pressure on their vendor to fix the fucking switches.
Maybe some language about how the neutral switch is part of the Federally mandate SAFETY Starter cut-out blah blah...
Either way, we could hopefully collect enough signatures to get them (or her)to take notice.
Power in numbers.
I am personally sick of buying switches and will be plugging the very young switch on my bike that pukes oil.
I'll sign. I thought I was doing something wrong like over torquing them or something. It's the last oil leak (I think) and I can't seem to fix it.
SUVslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

BMW doesn't care Robert. Supplying parts for old obsolete bikes is probably a PITA to them.

My guess is there's some other vendor making repops for them anyway just like Huggett makes the slingers for Vech, Bob's, and MAX.

I've heard over and over about "I like BMW because I can get parts for the old bikes"

I no longer buy that line.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #8
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,623
Quote:
Originally Posted by datchew View Post
BMW doesn't care Robert. Supplying parts for old obsolete bikes is probably a PITA to them.
Anything you can mark up 100% (or more), only stock what normally sells, and make customers wait for it doesn't normally sell much isn't a PITA, but a gift to a retailer. Most dealers know this and don't mind a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:11 PM   #9
The Raven
Banned

Oddometer: 4,813
Ok....the neutral switch in the GS looks just like the 4wd switch in my Jeep, and the reverse switch in my 328i with NEITHER leaking......There has to be a tips and trick solution...
The Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:13 PM   #10
ChromeSux
Plated and screwed

Oddometer: 1,397
Funny this topic has came up again, a few weeks ago mine started leaking for the third time, i have replaced the switch twice in less than 2 years, NO MORE.
I went to Auto zone and bought a 12mm x 1.5pitch bolt, cut it just about 2 threads shorter than the exposed threads that were on the switch, used the crush washer that was on the switch, little high temp RTV and all is well.

I did let the gearbox fluid drain overnight and cleaned the switch hole threads with a Q tip and some carb cleaner, damn sure aint leaking now.

On the R100GS you have to pull the clutch in to start it any way so no big loss not having the switch, just no light for N.

On a side note just today as i was savoring the moment of defeating that oil leak and i discovered a new one starting, Pushrod tube seals, i looked all over the bike to see if it had made by AMF Harley Davidson but it doesnt, it just says BMW.

ChromeSux screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 01:20 PM
ChromeSux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:42 PM   #11
wirewrkr
the thread-killer

Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLO LOBO View Post
Anything you can mark up 100% (or more), only stock what normally sells, and make customers wait for it doesn't normally sell much isn't a PITA, but a gift to a retailer. Most dealers know this and don't mind a bit.
Are you implying that the dealers are the ones making the huge mark-up?
NOT!
the average profit margin for BMW parts is around 31%
It used to be around 40% when I started working there 16 years ago, but has diminished greatly.

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:58 PM   #12
datchew
Don't buy from Brad

I got to the same mind as you Chromesux. I replaced it 1 last time. When this one leaks, I'm plugging it with my aluminum bolt (it's an aluminum case after all) and a crush washer or nitrile washer.

I don't really find much use for it anyway as I have gotten in the habit of knowing by speed and pitch of the motor RPM what gear I'm in.

My neutral safety connection was killed long ago, so the switch serves only for the indicator light and seeing that little green light simply isn't worth the $.
Old 02-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #13
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

I was looking though my extra parts and i don't believe it there are three screwed up switches in the box!!! Dang I didn't know I'd had that many, depressing!!!

CS is right the bolt is a 12x1.5

Old 02-19-2011, 07:54 PM   #14
Wirespokes
Beemerholics Anonymous

Oddometer: 7,938
I wonder if there's a way to re-engineer these things so they're rebuildable with a seal, rather than being crimped together? For the $30 or $40 they want for the dumb things, it would be worth it.

Mine started leaking a while back and leaves a puddle in the garage where it's parked. I've just been putting up with the mess cause I don't want to hassle with it. Don't know how old it is since the bike is new to me.
Old 02-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #15
One Less Harley OP
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Maybe I should give the crimp a couple more whacks with a hammer. I've noticed on a couple of the leaking switches that the plastic body rotates in the Al housing. Might be worth a shot, might tighten up the o-ring seal in the body. I'll take one of the bad ones apart to see how it's put together.