Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 12:26 AM   #136
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,410
Here's where I welded the bung for the sensor on my AEM kit.

Old 02-18-2011, 01:44 AM   #137
Lornce
Lost In Place

Oddometer: 17,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommie john View Post
Here's where I welded the bung for the sensor on my AEM kit.
Have any more pics of your race bike, PJ?

Always good to see battling airheads.

Lornce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:00 AM   #138
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lornce View Post
Have any more pics of your race bike, PJ?

Always good to see battling airheads.

There's a thread on it here.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...+racer+rebuild

Maybe I could do a "history of" thread since I've had it for about 15 years and raced it all over the place. There are plenty of pitfalls I've found out about ( usually the hard way )
Old 02-19-2011, 04:18 AM   #139
chasbmw
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,042
PJ

Did you manage to get your cracked crankcase fixed?

I'm seeing Jim on Friday, picking up a r90/6 engine he is building for me, idea is to get a smooth and torquey engine that will be fuel efficient, so spec includes twin plugging a light clean up of the ports, A set of modern pistons from motoren Israel, engine flywheel and clutch balanced and some weight off the flywheel. Standard carbs and exhaust. Can't wait to get it run in and compared to my much more highly modified 1070 Seibenrock bike.

Charles
chasbmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:45 AM   #140
pommie john
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by chasbmw View Post
PJ

Did you manage to get your cracked crankcase fixed?

I'm seeing Jim on Friday, picking up a r90/6 engine he is building for me, idea is to get a smooth and torquey engine that will be fuel efficient, so spec includes twin plugging a light clean up of the ports, A set of modern pistons from motoren Israel, engine flywheel and clutch balanced and some weight off the flywheel. Standard carbs and exhaust. Can't wait to get it run in and compared to my much more highly modified 1070 Seibenrock bike.

Charles

Yeah, i rebuilt the whole motor into a good used crankcase.
All good now.

Enjoy the new motor, I'm sure it'll be a good-un.

John
Old 02-19-2011, 12:20 PM   #141
supershaft
because I can

Oddometer: 8,792
I looked through your older thread PJ. I think it is great what you did with the frame. So many people focus on the steering head and it is already pretty beefy there. The real weak link IMO is the back bone twisting right where you substantially stiffened it up and you got substantial gains for it! Awesome!

What you ended up doing to your emulators is also probably exactly what I would do as well. So many "experts" (and manufacturers!) are recommending too much compression IMO! And that is ripping wide open on the track. Can you imagine riding on the street set up like that?

What I wish you would share are the troubles you had to figure out. That could really help some of us!
supershaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:51 PM   #142
supershaft
because I can

I thought I would add that what you saw in the dyno room with the mile long velocity stacks is pretty much what have seen as well. I think that is why Chris was running a square airbox on Wreaking Ball. Room for longer stacks! Like I said earlier, think of all the old photos we have seen with racing beemers having LONG stacks.

Another typical advantage I have seen in dyno rooms is running about as long of a slightly tapered megaphone as you can. Most rules will let you run an exhaust to the back of the bike. I have seen it broaden the powerband substantially on airhead race bikes in the dyno room. (I have welded up quite a few different setups for Chris to try.)

I know how racing is! If you ever get enough fires put out, you might try it if you haven't already.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:04 PM   #143
supershaft
because I can

About your timing cover and the rules. Grind the fins off. Lightly peen the ground areas and then bead blast. You might want to use sand first. I know you can make it look like it never had the fins because I have done it. Well, At least if you don't look at it REAL close! I can't remember if I filled in the dips on the right side or not or if others have. Most people do knock the fins off around here. I will have to pay attention in the future to see if they filled the dips in.