Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-19-2011, 02:17 PM   #16
the octopus
The Chef

Oddometer: 104
Fans are available for about $35 on eBay right now. Same fan: 12v SPAL 4" push.
the octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #17
scapegoat
Pushin forward back

Oddometer: 2,855
Curious if there's any issues reported adding a second fan to the factory wires and plug? anyone know the amp draw of one of these little dudes?
Old 02-19-2011, 03:03 PM   #18
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapegoat View Post
Curious if there's any issues reported adding a second fan to the factory wires and plug? anyone know the amp draw of one of these little dudes?
The OEM fuse for the fan circuit is 10A, the OEM 5.2" fan is rated for ~4A max current for max load. The second 4" fan is rated for just under 2A max load.

Based upon this information I originally determined that the addition of the second fan would be well within the safe limits of the harness and protection fuse.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:05 PM   #19
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,459
Quote:
Originally Posted by the octopus View Post
Fans are available for about $35 on eBay right now. Same fan: 12v SPAL 4" push.

The fan that I have spec'd is the PULL fan, not the PUSH. If fit with the harness that I have been making the PUSH fan will blow through the radiator back to front. It may be possible to change the direction of rotation of this fan to make it a PULL type, however I do not know if this will work well or for very long.
Head2Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #20
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 895
WARNING,....

Heat from the new fan will most likely cause the paint and stickers on your right gas tank to bubble up.

This is what happens to older 950 bikes that didnt have a fan cap (60035044050). I had to order one from higher models OEM parts.
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #21
the octopus
The Chef

Oddometer: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
The fan that I have spec'd is the PULL fan, not the PUSH. If fit with the harness that I have been making the PUSH fan will blow through the radiator back to front. It may be possible to change the direction of rotation of this fan to make it a PULL type, however I do not know if this will work well or for very long.
I'm glad I posted before pulling the trigger on the fan! Thanks for the info. Back to the hunt for a fan at the lowest price so I can get my 990 set up as soon as I receive my bracket and splitter.
the octopus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM   #22
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
Reall? No such problems on my 04.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
WARNING,....

Heat from the new fan will most likely cause the paint and stickers on your right gas tank to bubble up.

This is what happens to older 950 bikes that didnt have a fan cap (60035044050). I had to order one from higher models OEM parts.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:35 PM   #23
Guano11
Half Decaf

Oddometer: 1,144
Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor View Post
Someone here recommended rice. That's right, uncooked rice.
I thought that only worked on Japanese bikes.

Great documentation on the install; thanks for posting. Anxious to hear how it performs for you.
Guano11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:40 PM   #24
Bill 310
Poser Emeritus

Oddometer: 2,920
Is there a waiting list to order a complete fan kit when you they are back in stock?

I have a 990 ADV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
Canada "It's a rough place, son. In fact, you have to puke twice and show your razor just to get in. Better grow some whiskers if you wanna go to Canada." Ronnie Hawkins when asking Levon Helm to join his band and play in Canada.
Bill 310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:55 PM   #25
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
First test

To test the new dual-fan setup I just installed and the RED 200F water temp sensor I also installed after the second fan install (OEM sensor is BLUE 220F, see both below) I did the 15 minute idle reset, which is also a good way to get the bike up to full temp.

5-7 minutes into the run the bike was up to 4 bars and holding steady and the dual fans were cycling on and off regularly, good solid blasts of hot air off both sides, which means the bike was holding steady temp regulation at a lower temp (200F) than before at idle, a good sign.

A quick voltage test showed no drop in voltage (high 13's) as the fans cycled on and off, which means the charging system was easily keeping up even at idle.

After reading keeners caution, I felt the right side tank where the fan blows on it and it was very hot. Now I know that in normal operation with no second fan, hot air off the radiator blows through there also, but maybe the forced hot air will heat up that inside tank surface more than what it would normally get, also heating up the fuel itself a bit more too. I'm not really worried all that much about the issue, but will probably lay in some self-adhesive gold or silver heat shield to the inner tank surface right where the forced air blast hits it, to reduce heat transfer to the tank. That should be enough to take care of it, and won't be externally visible.

I have added extra heat shield to several places on the bike, like on my airbox for example, to reduce engine heat transfer to the incoming air

and right tank already to reduce exhaust pipe heat transfer, so this will just be a bit more.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 08:14 PM   #26
keener
Speed changes you.

Oddometer: 895
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoNOW View Post
Reall? No such problems on my 04.
I'm surprised. It is a known issue. There is a reason KTM added that Fan Cap on higher models.
keener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:49 PM   #27
GoNOW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,432
That's news to me. I was told it was just to keep the hot air off the drivers leg. I do have the fan cap, just never installed it. Been fine in 114 degree heat with no tank problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by keener View Post
I'm surprised. It is a known issue. There is a reason KTM added that Fan Cap on higher models.
GoNOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 09:56 PM   #28
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 29,640
Hey Cliff... Moab the end of March?
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 08:57 AM   #29
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Hey Cliff... Moab the end of March?
PM'd ya
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:54 PM   #30
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,369
What are the mounting dimensions on the fan?
Is it the same mounting points as a standard EXC fan?
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote