Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #91
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,576
I went for another ride yesterday. It would be a shame to waste another day of almost 70 degree weather. First I stopped at Cycle Gear to see if they had anything on sale I couldn't live without

But they didn't. So I headed off. My plan was to ride south to the Tennessee River, then head East along the river and cut back to Huntsville over the mountain. I was really itchin to find some twisty roads so I could have some fun on the Scooter

My first stop was this spot along the river.

It would have been nice to have some sunshine to go along with the warm weather, but I guess I shouldn't complain. Then I headed East. Stopped at a small gas station to top off since I didn't know what was ahead and didn't want to risk running out in the middle of nowhere. It took .55 gallons. That's not much but nearly half a tank.

I did eventually find a steep twisty road back over the mountain, but it was still covered with crap they put down after the recent snow storms...no peg (or is that floorboard) scraping today. I also didn't get any more pics. Not much of a ride report but I do have a few thoughts to comment on.

First: Scooters get no respect and no other riders will return your waves.
WRONG!!!
I saw a number of other bikes, some Harleys, Japanese cruisers, sport bikes, a gold wing and a KLR650. They all waved at me. Some responded to my wave and some waved first.

I guess it must be my totally awesome and bitchin looking Kymco Super 8.

Or maybe there are just some great people living in the Huntsville area.

That brings me to my next observation. Huntsville seems to be a really nice place to live. I have lived in many cities. Some of them I really liked, and some were pretty crappy places, most where somewhere in between. I would put Huntsville in the same league as the three other cities I really liked; San Diego, Bath (Me), and Marietta(GA).

One of the most important qualities of any city, for me anyway, is its proximity to good places to ride. So far I haven't really ridden very far outside the city limits.

Normally I don't even enjoy riding around in town but with the scooter I'm really enjoying it. To some extend it brings back memories of when I got my first bike and any ride, anywhere, was exciting. Over the years, I got bigger, "better", and more capable bikes. I have had to chance to ride many of the best roads in the country. (Palomar Mountain, Angeles Crest HWY, HWY1, White Rim Trail, Deal's Gap, Hurricane creek, BRP, etc). The end result is that I have become spoiled. It was getting more difficult to have a really great ride. Getting a scooter has made it easier to just go out and have fun on a short ride without actually going anywhere really exciting. And since many of my trips are for some other purpose, such as getting groceries, any fun I have is just a bonus. I don't feel as much pressure to do something exciting just to enjoy myself, yet I do end up enjoying it. Maybe this will wear off as the "new toy" syndrome of the scooter wears off. I'm hoping it doesn't. Only time will tell.

Still, I am really itching to take the scooter someplace where I can really see how it handles. I thing Deal's Gap would be a blast
I'll just have to risk getting spoiled.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 03:56 PM
klaviator is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:01 PM   #92
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunstei View Post
Great photos in the last set - didn't know the "unwashed public" could cross the base, so I haven't tried yet. I'll have to try to go get a look at the Longbow!
Are you calling me the "unwashed public". Actually, I'm retired Navy so I was able to get a Redstone sticker for my scooter. That and my Military ID will get me onto just about any US military base. It is possible for the "unwashed public" to get on base by going to the visitor center at the main gate and getting a visitor pass. You just need registration, proof of insurance and drivers license.

One more interesting note about Redstone. They require riders to wear a reflective vest or reflective band. I tried to get on wearing my Yellow jacket and hi-vis helmet, both of which have reflective material on them, but they still made me wear a vest. Luckily I anticipated this stupidity and had a vest with me. Most military bases have done away with this rule and allow bright colored clothing instead of the vest. I saw a guy on a cruiser with a black gear except for a reflective band around his waist. I would be 10 time more visible than him even without a vest. The base commander doesn't realize he is actually making his troops less safe since there is no incentive for them to buy bright colored riding gear. They just wear their vest or band on base and take it off when not on base.

Enough of my rant. I just get pissed off when stupid rules are made in the name of "safety"

klaviator screwed with this post 02-18-2011 at 07:01 PM
Old 02-18-2011, 02:14 PM   #93
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soboy View Post
Klaviator, I am really enjoying your Full Throttle Touring reports. Those space rockets are very cool, I would love to see more space-related pics in future ride reports. This has been a fantastic weather week for riding in the Southeast, I have taken all three of my bikes for short rides this week (pulled my hip and back out while hand washing my car on Monday so my body can only tolerate short rides on pavement this week). Time to head to the chiropractor again today - but at least I get to ride one of the bikes to the doc - getting older is so much fun! Keep the cards and letters coming..........
One of these days I'll tour the space museum and take lots of pics. I agree about the weather, what a change from all the winter weather. I have been riding the last four days, and left the truck parked I have finally been able to ride to work and actually save some gas instead of just burning it. With the price of gas continueing to go up it's nice to be able to fill up for 3 bucks or less.

As for getting older, it beats the alternative Riding helps keep me young, and sane. I think i'll do some more riding this weekend, in the interest of metal health and staying young

klaviator screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 03:58 PM
Old 02-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #94
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I'd really love to go to Deal's Gap and have Killboy get some pics of my mighty scooter scooter in action......but I have to go to work tonight and deals gap is over 200 miles away so it ain't happening today. Still, i hate to wast another warm day soooooo, time for some action pics on a curvy road.

Only two problems, there aren't any really good curvy roads real close by and killboy is nowhere around here.

My solution:

A cul-de-sac in a nearby unfinished sub division will have to be my "curvy road"

Then I pulled out the tiny tripod I picked up at a camera shop recently and........

My camera has a 10 second timer. Surprisingly I didn't end miss getting in any of the pics.

I'm sure someone will point out my lack of ATGATT for this high speed sport riding, but I promise I will dress better if I do make it to Deal's Gap

One more:

Looks like I'll have to lean a bit more before I scrape anything

Not exactly Killboy quality pics but it's the best I could do with the gear I have.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-18-2011 at 02:49 PM
Old 02-19-2011, 05:46 PM   #95
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

I am spending the weekend in Huntsville instead of commuting home to Marietta since the Spousal unit is out of town. This allowed me to go to a longer ride today. I had brought my KLR with me since my scooter is not really suitable for long distance rides. Since I had heard that there was some good riding up near Winchester, TN, I decided to head up that way using the directions posted by Rich2 earlier in the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RicH2 View Post
Take a ride up to Winchester Tn. .....Head East on Hwy 72. Turn left on Hwy 65 in Paint Rock. Turn right on 146. Turn left on 79.

It was supposed to be 65 degrees and partly cloudy (or was that partly sunny?). It felt warm when I left so I didn't dress very warm....I would regret that later.

About 40 miles of droning on the highway got me to Hwy 65. I took a left and soon saw my sign.

65 turned out to be a pleasant ride with moderate to easy curves, nothing real tight. Unfortunately the gloomy weather and the fact that everything was brown made it a far less scenic ride that I suspect it will be on a sunny spring or later day when things are blooming and more green.

Then I turned right on 146. A few curves and a climb in elevation and then the road pretty much straightened out. Then left on 79. Only gentle sweeper on this road, perfect for cruising on a Harley. Actually, a Harley would probably have been more fun than my KLR on this road. I was looking for dirt roads to explore but everything either had a gate or just led to a parking lot. There were lots of signs everywhere indicating that the land off the road was a wildlife management area, private property, or something. 79 became 16 at the TN border.

It was colder than expected due to the heavy overcast and the higher elevation here so I decided to just drone through to Winchester to get some lunch and warm up.

Never been to Winchester before but I found my way to the old town square and decided to stop there for lunch. there were several restaurants there but I chose this one.

And a few pics on the inside.

had a BBQ pork sandwich and fries which were good but not great. Followed that with a hot cherry cobbler a la mode which was great.

Then I wandered around the town square.

The shops in this next pic take up an entire block and are actually just one store.

The inside reminded me of Reny's department store. Reny's is a chain of small old fashioned deptartment stores located in some small cities in Maine.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 06:34 PM
Old 02-19-2011, 06:19 PM   #96
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

So far, it had been a somewhat dissapointing ride. That, combined with the cold put a damper on my plans to take a different and longer route back. I decided to retrace my route but try to find some side roads, preferably dirt, to explore. I knew there had to be some off road riding since I had seen a bunch of ATVs on trailer in the area. So I headed back up the mountain on 16. eventually I found a dirt road that was open.

And of course there was a big sign.

The road started out very deep, large gravel. Not much fun but it eventally ended.

As I continued I noticed that every few trees there was yellow paint on the trees. I stopped to get a pic but the pic doesn't really show how bad it was.

Actually, the previous pic shows it better. There is a big yellow mark the the left and a white sign on the right. It kind of ruined the whole wilderness effect.

Eventually the scenery got better.

And the road got rougher.

And rougher.

A little past this last pic, it got more challenging than I wanted to tackle by myself on my heavy KLR, so I turned around.

I found another road to explore. Of course there was another sign.

Actually there where Numerous signs. I started thinking about that song from the 60s or 70s...Sign, sign, everywhere a sign.

Anyway this I followed this road a ways but it was a pretty boring gravel road and there where signs everwhere warning not to leave the road, or hunt, or fish, or pick your nose without a permit

so I turned around.

Soon I was back at the border.

Sorry Tennessee, but you didn't impress me today.

I pretty much backtracked except for taking 142 from 146 to 65. 142 was a small county road that looked like it might be real twisty. It had a few tight curves but other than that was nothing special. Actually if was pretty rough, no problen on a dual sport but probably not so great on a cruiser or sport bike.

Then I had some fun on the curves on 65

Then it was on to the highway for some mindless droning. I did see this cool Cobra.

And of course I know I'm getting close to home when I see the giant Saturn Rocket which dominates the landscape.

And then it started to rain just before I got home. A perfect ending to a pretty dissappointing ride.

I considered not even doing a ride report but after being home for a while, I did a search on U tube and found the perfect video to end this part of my report. It's funny and well worth watching: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLm3HMG8IhM

klaviator screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 06:37 PM
Old 02-19-2011, 07:22 PM   #97
amr2ul
Machinery 2 Upper Level

Oddometer: 294
Go west, young man

Klav,
Bring that business a county to the west and treat the mighty Kymco to a heapin helpin of Stennett Hollow road! Not very long, but very entertaining. Just keep your eyes open 'cause the deer are frequently active there even in broad daylight! Other good roads in the area, too. Try the double cheeseburger at Sportsman Park. Really hits the slot.after a hard day of cadaver recovery(don't ask).
Diver
Check out my novel, DEFENDER, a Kindle e-book, www.Amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B004Z1U7UI
amr2ul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 03:29 AM   #98
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by amr2ul View Post
Klav,
Bring that business a county to the west and treat the mighty Kymco to a heapin helpin of Stennett Hollow road! Not very long, but very entertaining. Just keep your eyes open 'cause the deer are frequently active there even in broad daylight! Other good roads in the area, too. Try the double cheeseburger at Sportsman Park. Really hits the slot.after a hard day of cadaver recovery(don't ask).
Sounds good to me. Where exactly is Stennet Hollow rd? Tried to google it but came up with nothing.

I've been trying to find some decent county maps of the area but nobody seems to carry them. Any suggestions? I know about the Delorme Gazateer but it is too bulky to carry along on the ride.

Old 02-20-2011, 09:41 AM   #99
baldwithglasses
Godspeed, Robert

Oddometer: 795
Hiya, klaviator-

Have you tried riding around Lake Guntersville? There are fun roads between Guntersville and Buck's Pocket.

View Larger Map

Have you made it by Bandito Burrito on Governor's Drive? Try going on a Monday, Tuesday, or Friday for lunch. You'll meet plenty of motorcycling folk who also work in the defense end of things. As for Oscar; he knows lots of good local routes.

I'd also try a ride around Grant Alabama, too- lots of twisty country roads east of town.
baldwithglasses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 12:39 AM   #100
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by iDave View Post
Cool video Win . We have a local park along the Potomac River that's absolutely beautiful, once you see past the signs .
Dave, I have nothing against signs.....if they serve a usefull purpose and are tastefully done. What I saw on this ride made the area look trashy.
There are some signs I really like......some examples coming up.

Old 02-21-2011, 12:41 AM   #101
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldwithglasses View Post
Hiya, klaviator-

Have you tried riding around Lake Guntersville? There are fun roads between Guntersville and Buck's Pocket.

View Larger Map

Have you made it by Bandito Burrito on Governor's Drive? Try going on a Monday, Tuesday, or Friday for lunch. You'll meet plenty of motorcycling folk who also work in the defense end of things. As for Oscar; he knows lots of good local routes.

I'd also try a ride around Grant Alabama, too- lots of twisty country roads east of town.
Thanks for the info. I'll check out the roads around Grant as well as the Bandito Burrito. As for Lake Guntersville.................................

Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 AM   #102
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Saturdays ride may have been dissappointing but that wasn't going to stop me from trying again on Sunday. I knew the area around Guntersville, Al was really scenic since I often pass through it when commuting between Huntsville and Marietta.

The first thing I needed to do was to decide whether to take the KLR or the Kymco. I wanted to take the Kymco but was a little concerned about riding on 431 with it's 65 MPH speed limit. I was planning on avoiding 431 as much as possible since I prefer the small back roads over the highway but I would need to get on 431 at least part of the way. I decided to go with the scooter. This would be my longest ride on the scooter but I figured if Nathanthepostman could ride from Sydney to London on a 105cc Honda, I should be able to handle Huntsville to Guntersville on 150cc.

The weather forecast for the day was 73 degrees and partly sunny. When I left for the ride it was overcast and gloomy, just like yesterday. Just like yesterday, I underdressed for the temperature. So I turned around and got my JR overpants. I should have got an extra sweatshirt too You think I would have learned my lesson. The problem is that it feels warm when you are not riding and when you first put on your gear it tends to feel too hot.

I took back roads to the west side of Huntsville, then headed up Green Mountain Rd. As I mentioned in my last post, I don't hate all signs. here's one of my favorites:

Some times these curvy roads signs are a joke with only a few minor bends ahead. In this case it wasn't. This road is steep, narrow and twisty as it climbs up the mountain. I took a few pics but none captured any of the tight curves. There was still crap on the road left over from the many snowstorms we had this year.

With the rise in elevation came a decrease in the temperature. This mountain really wasn't very high but the drop in temperature was noticeable. I needed to do something to warm up so when I saw this sign:

I decided that I hike was just what I needed to warm up.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-21-2011 at 05:21 AM
Old 02-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #103
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

So I parked my scooter, stashed my helmet, gloves and overpants under the seat and in the tail trunk, and started my hike. Had I ridden my KLR, which has no hard luggage, my stuff would have been left on the bikie, in the open. I could have run a cable through the jacket and helmet and I doubt anyone would mess with it here, but I felt better being able to lock it all up on the scooter.

Just off the parking area was a pavillion and lots of picnic tables and chairs right off of the lake.

Not too busy today but I'll bet that on a weekend in the summer this place will be crowded.

I decided to hike the trail and saw this.

Not sure what species of local wildlife this was

Picturesque covered bridge.

not sure for what purpose it was built. No one but us tree hugging hikers out here.

This is how you put up signs without ruining the view.

An old log cabin. I think this was actually used "back in the day" when it was built. Note the ATGATT hiking gear. I kept most of my gear on since I was cold. I was just now starting to warm up.

The trail was very nice to hike on, Most of it was covered with wood chips with a few sections of wooden walkways.

Then there was this. For once I wish there was a sign with an explanation of the history of this chapel.

Perhaps Huntsville's first mega-church???

Here the reverend K. L. Aviator preaches the gospel according to ADV

Note that no one was dozing off in the pews during my sermon!

The next exhibit did have a sign.

Pretty neat exhibit but hard to get a good pic of since it was behind glass.

Old 02-21-2011, 06:30 AM   #104
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hike complete, I was now nice and warm and ready to continue my ride.

Green Mountain Rd changes name in the middle to Shandlee Rd. At both ends it is Green Mountain Rd. Kind of unusual. It is gentle hills and curves in the middle as it runs along near the edge of the mountain. There are a few houses up here with some really great views. I'm sure they're not cheap. Then I saw this hanging in someones yard.

Not sure what it was supposed to be but it reminded me of Kokopelli, so prevelant in Utah and New Mexico.

Going down the mountain there were some more steep and tight curves

Then it was back roads for a while. I went through the time town of Owens crossroads, crossed 431, through the tiny town of New Hope, then headed south towards 431.

Just before getting back to 431 I came to an intersection. I needed to go straight but the road to the left headed up a mountain and had a curvy road ahead sign. I had no map of the area and didn't know where it went so I did what any good ADV rider would do. I took it. After climbing up the mountain it straightened out and became fairly boring. Not wanting to back track, I continued until I found a through road on the right. This road was FUN

Another steep curvy road as it went down the mountain towards 431. I saw this natural bridge and stopped for a pic.

As mentioned, some fun curves. the super 8 handles them well and is a blast to ride.

And just so I would remember the name of the road.

Then it was time for the 65 MPH four lane.

It wasn't bad at all. I cruised along at an indicated 50-55. I'm guessing my speedo is about 5 MPH fast but have yet to verify that. There wasn't much traffic on the road and the traffic that did pass me wasn't going that much faster than I was.

Finally, Guntersville in sight.

As you can see, it's still a gloomy day and being close to the water made the temperature drop. Time to get off the bike, play tourist, and take some pics.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 04:52 AM
Old 02-21-2011, 08:33 AM   #105
klaviator OP
Beastly Adventurer

First order of business in Guntersville was to find a county map. Someday I'll break down and get a GPS. Until them I'll buy maps.....or just wander around seeing "where does that road go" with no idea until I get there. I found a map, then headed off for some waterfront pics.

It's still gloomy.

I head downtown to check out the old main street part of town.

Guntersville has a scenic downtown but it is not very tourist oriented and is dead today.

Nothing much to see here today. I head down the road where all the "real" tourist attractions are. Mcd's. BK, Wendy's etc. I settle on Taco Bell for a light lunch. Then time for more exploring. I check out the east side of Guntersville.

Somebody has a nice view.....and some big bucks.

This road is real scenic. There are no houses to spoil the water view to the right, just a long Hiking/runnig trail and some parking places to stop and enjoy the waterfront.

It's a real nice ride and the sun is starting to break through the clouds.

Then I head back to the main drag and head south on 431 across the bridge.

here's the view on the other side of the bridge.

I had towards the lodge in the pic and continue on past it on Hyatt Dr. This ends up being one of the high points of the trip. The road twists and turns up the mountain. It is residantial at the beginning and the end but there is a section in the middle where it goes through some rugged landscape and becomes a real roller-coaster of a ride

It's narrow steep and twisty, just the way I like my roads!

Even the residential sections are fun and very scenic with lots of great views of the lake and mountains in the background.

Then I head east on 227. The mighty 11 horsepower of my kymco soon have me stuck behind some slow moving cages.

227 is another nice road. No real tight curves but very scenic. Eventually I come to an intersection and stop to consult my map. Perfect timing to get these pics.

I'm not the only one out wasting gas today

of course, I'm wasting a little less than they are. I had filled up back in guntersville. .73 gallons and 67 miles. That works out to 92 MPG! Thats my best so far.

Then I head back towards Guntersville. I do some exploring on the way and head up Hyatt Mountain Rd. Another steep and twisty ride up the mountain.

Anyone looking for a good deal on some real estate??

I consult my map and decide to turn around.

Some pics going down the mountain.

With no leaves on the trees there are great views of the water and mountains in the distance.

but the tight and steep curves keep most of my attention on the road.

klaviator screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 04:53 AM