Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool > Airheads
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2011, 03:40 PM   #46
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Oddometer: 1,363
Thanks again VERY much for your efforts!

I have not reconnected the tubes between the air cleaner and the carb (too much effort when the carbs have been coming off 20 times a day!).

I have been spraying just a small shot of starting fluid into each carb before trying to fire her up, and I have not heard anything that sounds like any kind of ignition. So, perhaps it is a spark issue afterall - but interesting since I'm seeing a spark, don't you think?

I appreciate the offer to contact you directly (and may take you up on it down the line), but I hate to bother you on a Sunday, and it's beer thirty, so I think I'm going to call it a day and start grilling and drinking beer. Thanks so much for your help! It sounds like the next step will need to be walking backwards through the electric system and checking everything out. I'll check the points as well, as you suggested.

Thanks again!

1973 BMW R60/5:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=608166
backdrifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:58 PM   #47
crazydrummerdude
Wacky Bongo Boy

Oddometer: 7,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by backdrifter View Post
it's beer thirty, so I think I'm going to call it a day and start grilling and drinking beer.
Sounds like the perfect workin'-on'-an-airhead-with-crazydrummerdude atmosphere...

crazydrummerdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 08:37 PM   #48
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Yeah, it does sound like good wrenching time, doesn't it?

As much as I would like to take you up on your offer to help (and still may), it's tough. I have a crazy life with a busy wife and a two year old daughter, and because of this, time spent working on the bike is never planned. Instead, I suddenly find myself with a spare hour or two here or there and go out to the garage. Being out in St. Charles, it's about a 45 min drive from you to me, so by the time you got here, I'd be wrapping it up and going back to Daddy Duty!

I truly do appreciate the offer though - if nothing else, we'll have to meet at the Triumph Grill for a beer once my steed is roadworthy!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-14-2011, 08:12 AM   #49
bpeckm
Grin!

Oddometer: 5,754
..or he could come over and help, then you could do Daddy Duty while the 'dude marks time (he's good at it I hear!) and then go back with some beer and.....

Old 02-14-2011, 08:21 AM   #50
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Not a bad idea, not bad at all!

BMW shop is open again tomorrow. On the shopping list: new points (might as well), new battery, and I managed to lose the little brass insert that holds the clutch cable into the lever...

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-15-2011, 04:58 PM   #51
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

The riddle continues. I know it seems like I've spent a lot of time on it, but I really only get a half hour here and there.

Got a compression gauge and did a compression test tonight.

Question - does it matter how many kicks of the kick starter it takes to get to your high reading? I did 13 to 15 kicks per cylinder and wound up with a left cylinder reading of 135 psi and a right cylinder reading of 140 psi. Seemed pretty healthy to me.

BUT, if I did 4 kicks per side, I got readings closer to 90 psi. Does this matter?

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #52
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Quick question - where should the fuse panel be on my bike? Everything that I read says it should be in the headlight bucket, but I don't see it, do you?

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #53
Roach Carver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 132
looking into the headlight, I believe it is at about 4 oclock. should be the plastic holder with the inline fuses inside...... I think. my 71 does not have fuses.
Roach Carver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #54
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Thanks Roach Carver - never seen a fuse box look like that, and the Clymer manual showed a normal fuse panel like a car would have.

Well, I checked and there are only two fuses. Both seemed fine, which is disappointing because the bike won't start anymore.

I had it hooked up to my car battery to get her started and the positive lead slipped while I wasn't looking and grounded out on the frame. Looking for suggestions as to what to check next. The red light on the speedo will come on, and so will the lights and the horn will operate, but the 2nd light that comes on to let you know the bike is ready to start hasn't come on, and when I push the electric starter I get absolutely nothing.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-20-2011, 02:37 PM   #55
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Laugh

Oops! Someone posted while I was writing!

It's good to see that you're at least trying to do things on proper order. The first time I went through what you're doing. Well... You don't want to know!

I've come up with a new rule that I have to add to my personal Airhead Cannons: "Never refuse help from another Airhead!"

Before you go much further, see if you can get together with the wife, schedule three hours or four hours for working exclusively on the bike and take CDD up on his offer to help. Crazy has a good understanding of machines in general and hes been screwing around with Beemers lately, so he may be able to get your bike running (Or close to it.) very quickly.

After grounding the electrical system, you'll have to check the wiring harness for damage. My experience is that when it comes to wiring, two heads are better than one.

Also: If you haven't done a complete tune-up yet, do one now. Check the timing, set the valves, clean or better yet replace the points and condenser, clean the electrical connections to the coils, charge the battery even if it's new, check the grounds and plug cables, etc. Then double check your work.

Remove all of the excuses for the bike not to run and should start right up!

PS: IMO it'a kinds difficult to jump an Airhead, using automotive jumper cables. Better to make up a dedicated set, using smaller clamps from Radio Shack and lighter wires. I made up a set 20 years ago and they've come in very handy.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 02:55 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #56
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I replaced the points and had the bike starting and running - not well, but running. Once running I could tell it was going to need new gaskets all around - oil was seeping through everywhere. I got cocky and decided I was going to take it for a blast around the neighborhood before I tore the engine down, just to be able to say that I've ridden the thing. That's when I managed to short out the electrical system. Damn - just when things were going so well!

I'm planning the full tune up after all the new gaskets are installed. They're on order now - hopefully in the next week. That doesn't worry me, what DOES worry me is this new electrical problem. I don't get along well with electrical issues. Guess I'd better go buy an ohm meter. It's always something, isn't it?

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-20-2011, 04:35 PM   #57
Hawk Medicine
Coyote's Brother

Oddometer: 3,301
Quote:
SNIP! I'm planning the full tune up after all the new gaskets are installed. They're on order now - hopefully in the next week. That doesn't worry me, what DOES worry me is this new electrical problem. I don't get along well with electrical issues. Guess I'd better go buy an ohm meter. It's always something, isn't it?
OK! Now you're cookin with gas!

Since you know that the bikes runs, you may not want to do this but what you can do is stop right where you are and get into disassembling, cleaning and painting the bike. You're going to have to search out some replacement parts here and there but that easy. Having the bike run is the big "go-ahead" signal, right?

Everybody's different. I don't mind cleaning stuff and twirling wrenches but I hate doing electrical work. Actually, it's more like the electrical stuff hates me, cause it's always blowing smoke in my face. Hell.. Once I even set myself on fire, tryin to fix a broken darkroom timer.

Luckily, the last time I had a Airhead wiring problem Wirespokes showed up from Oregon looking for an empty bed, so I got him to play with the electrons. I owe him one but the interest rate is alarmingly low!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Keep up the reports. You're doin good!

PS: For the level of accuracy that we need, the cheap meters from Harbor Freight work just fine. If you watch for the coupons in motorcycle mags or on the net, you can sometimes buy em for as little as $3.00. I have several and they've served me well.

Hate rots the pocket that carries it.

Hawk Medicine screwed with this post 02-20-2011 at 04:42 PM
Hawk Medicine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2011, 08:11 AM   #58
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

I'm not sure if this will work or not, but here's a link to a video I took of her running (when she ran) with my wife's Flip:

http://sharing.theflip.com/session/0...video/64344371

1973 BMW R60/5:
Old 02-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #59
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,274
this would be my next step. you're to a point that you need to trace and find a failure. yes, there will always be something.

Quote:
Guess I'd better go buy an ohm meter. It's always something, isn't it?
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 08:34 PM   #60
backdrifter OP
Wannabe rider

Happy birthday to me!!!

Today is the big 33, and as a gift I received.... the R60 title!

Apparently my wife kept bugging her mom to keep looking for it so they could surprise me with it for my birthday. They finally did find it late last week and gave it to me (along with a really cool R/C boat) for my birthday tonight.

I had already started looking into the procedure for filing for a lost title posthumously, but luckily I don't have to worry about that now. Now I just need to get the electrics worked out (I'm thinking a fried diode board, from my initial, very rudimentary investigation), and then start slapping in new engine gaskets everywhere.

It was a great ending to good day - and a jolt of motivation to get moving again!

1973 BMW R60/5: