ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Old's Cool
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 PM   #16
wirewrkr
the thread-killer
 
wirewrkr's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: HIGH desert
Oddometer: 4,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickW1 View Post
Well I broke everything down, disconnected everything from the plugs to the ignition module, switch, battery, load shedding relay, you name it it came apart and was cleaned and put back together. I did not notice anything that was dirty or loose; however, after I put it all back together she fired-up on the first try and ran like she was new, I don't understand it but I'm not going to look a gift horse in the mouth, thanks for all the help.
Did you ever upgrade the battery negative cable?
There was a factory upgrade to MUCH heavier normal sized cable.
__________________

www.wirewerkes.com
KILL YOUR TELEVISION !!!!
wirewrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:34 AM   #17
drk40
n00b
 
drk40's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: bokrijk
Oddometer: 2
starter brushes

it might also be the brushes in the starter getting too short. in the K-series they're part of the electrical circuit and if they're getting too short they act like a circuit breaker. if it happens again any time soon, put the bike in second gear, give it a good push forward and try to start again. if that tricks works, it's the brushes and you'll soon see some other gremlins showing up with the headlight etc.. happened to my K75 and was a trick I learned on the flyingbrick forum few years ago.
rgrds
drk
__________________
drk
drk40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:39 AM   #18
bmwloco
Beastly Adventurer
 
bmwloco's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2008
Location: AsheVegas NC
Oddometer: 1,159
Back in the day, when I sold K75's new, I knew this: the worst thing you could do was show customers how easy they were to start. Do it once or twice, you can foul the plugs pronto.

Dry everything out, try again, vroom. Not much will kill a K75... much like an airhead, but simpler in a lot of ways (I look forward to the drubbing for this...)
__________________
Pastor, Church of the Horizontally Opposed Air Cooled Twin
'66 BMW R60/2, '83 BMW R100RS,
'81 BMW R100RS "Das Beast", '77 Honda XL125
Airhead #371
bmwloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:04 PM   #19
batoutoflahonda
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Easton Wa
Oddometer: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by drk40 View Post
it might also be the brushes in the starter getting too short. in the K-series they're part of the electrical circuit and if they're getting too short they act like a circuit breaker. if it happens again any time soon, put the bike in second gear, give it a good push forward and try to start again. if that tricks works, it's the brushes and you'll soon see some other gremlins showing up with the headlight etc.. happened to my K75 and was a trick I learned on the flyingbrick forum few years ago.
rgrds
drk
I had brush issues too. I got it going by taking the starter apart and cleaning the carbon off where the brushes ride. I actually found the problem after I just bumped the starter looking for the problem.
__________________
It's eight and a half gallons of gas; and an engine. What more do you need?-- BMW R80G/S

Save lives. Legalize lane sharing.

Cow eyes don't glow.
batoutoflahonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:04 PM   #20
NickW1 OP
Adventurer
 
NickW1's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Oddometer: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by wirewrkr View Post
Did you ever upgrade the battery negative cable?
There was a factory upgrade to MUCH heavier normal sized cable.
No, but the current battery ground cable seems robust enough; I did remove and clean the ends though.
Quote:
it might also be the brushes in the starter getting too short. in the K-series they're part of the electrical circuit and if they're getting too short they act like a circuit breaker. if it happens again any time soon, put the bike in second gear, give it a good push forward and try to start again. if that tricks works, it's the brushes and you'll soon see some other gremlins showing up with the headlight etc..


Thanks for the tip, I will add this to my fall maintenance list.
Quote:
I knew this: the worst thing you could do was show customers how easy they were to start. Do it once or twice, you can foul the plugs pronto.

Brother you aren’t kidding, I learned that early on and that throttle advance is worthless when starting the beast. On a side note what I like best about this Bike is the smoothness, hands down the smoothest bike I have ever ridden and I’ve been riding bikes since 1978, the only thing I don’t like is the lack of power; which begs the question, are the K100’s just as smooth as the three bangers?
__________________
How can a woman be expected to be happy with a man who insists on treating her as if she were a perfectly normal human being. (Oscar Wilde)
NickW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 AM   #21
Dan Căta
Beastly Adventurer
 
Dan Căta's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Cluj, Romania
Oddometer: 1,538
Not meaning to hijack the owner's topic, I have a friend that has some starting issues with his k75, '86. He reports that the spark plugs fire when they should, but the gas squirts are all at the same time.

My experience with k bikes is limited to the 1200 series. Does anyone have any idea on where to start troubleshooting?

Dan.
Dan Căta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 10:34 AM   #22
LonerDave
Gnarly Adventurer
 
LonerDave's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2011
Location: Lisbon, WI
Oddometer: 118
No experience, but have heard that the threes are much smoother than the fours. Suspect it has something to do with 3 going into 360 degrees (120 degrees) so much better than does 4 at 90 degrees. But like I said, never ridden either one.
LonerDave is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:07 PM   #23
ericrat
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: May 2007
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Oddometer: 1,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Căta View Post
Not meaning to hijack the owner's topic, I have a friend that has some starting issues with his k75, '86. He reports that the spark plugs fire when they should, but the gas squirts are all at the same time.

My experience with k bikes is limited to the 1200 series. Does anyone have any idea on where to start troubleshooting?

Dan.
I don't know for certain, but my experience tells me that would be correct. The k75 fuel injection is probably a "batch" fire system where the injectors all fire at the same time. This would be very common on that era injection and it works fine.

The K75 wires have a gap built into them. You can't resistance test them.

Eric
__________________
Have you visited ride reports lately ?. click HERE
ericrat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 02:18 PM   #24
damurph
Cold Adventurer
 
damurph's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2012
Location: The far east of the far east of North America
Oddometer: 1,260
Quote:
Originally Posted by LonerDave View Post
No experience, but have heard that the threes are much smoother than the fours. Suspect it has something to do with 3 going into 360 degrees (120 degrees) so much better than does 4 at 90 degrees. But like I said, never ridden either one.
K75 was a smoother motor because they had to install a balancer that the four cylind r did not require.
3 cylinder/four stroke.
I have a few KMs with one under my ass.
__________________
R1150 GSA, KLR650, K75s(x3), RD350, PS250 (Big Ruckus), R65, 990 Spyder
If I still had every dollar I spent on motorbikes I would be a richer man but a poorer person.
damurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:59 PM   #25
H96669
A proud pragmatist.
 
H96669's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2009
Location: Hiding off Hwy 6, B.C.
Oddometer: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Căta View Post
Not meaning to hijack the owner's topic, I have a friend that has some starting issues with his k75, '86. He reports that the spark plugs fire when they should, but the gas squirts are all at the same time.

My experience with k bikes is limited to the 1200 series. Does anyone have any idea on where to start troubleshooting?

Dan.
Wondering about that "fire as they should"??? That's a wasted spark system, they should all fire at once.
__________________
Have tools, will travel!
H96669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 08:07 PM   #26
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo
 
Boon Booni's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Richmond, Va
Oddometer: 12,805
Quote:
Originally Posted by H96669 View Post
Wondering about that "fire as they should"??? That's a wasted spark system, they should all fire at once.
Wasted spark doesn't mean the plugs all fire at once. It means they fire every stroke. Once on compression and once on exhaust. The spark still has to be properly timed.
__________________
A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men.

You can be Han Solo, and I can be another Han Solo...
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 10:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014