Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2011, 10:33 AM   #61
obsidian
Scared of the dark..

Oddometer: 837
Just putting in my $0.02 , it's a blast riding with Paul! The "prologue" episode will be coming out real soon. I'll embed it in here...

Cheers
Joe
Old 02-21-2011, 10:56 AM   #62
D-Fuzz
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
So, with the temps being that cold, are you able to put the bikes inside at night so they will start in the morning. I know most cars/trucks have a tough time starting in those temps without being plugged in, can't imagine how you'd get a bike started if it was a frozen brick.

The other part that so far is beyond my comprehension is how you are able to stay warm ridng at 80-100km/h in -30C temps, especially your feet & hands.

Safe travels! This is truly an awesome RR but I think the best is yet to come!
Old 02-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #63
ABADV
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 637
Thumb Amazing!

Great RR! Inspired and subscribed!!
Old 02-22-2011, 12:38 AM   #64
Jettn Jim
This is Liv'n!!!

Oddometer: 1,756
Thumb Excellent Ride!

In...
After riding near 60k on a Snowmobile in 9yrs, you've reminded me to stud up the KLR and RIDE! I Miss winter riding!!! (Sold the Sleds)
Was checking out the stich studs last winter....Sooo your running them full time on this trip? How many miles/km's do you get out of a set? What kind of air pressure on pavement vs ice/hardpack snow?
Thanx for any info. Looking fwd to some more report.
I'll have to check but when I was in Inuvik this fall I saw a back way in (other than the Demster) from down south. I'm curios if this will be your route
Jettn Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:31 AM   #65
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Fuzz View Post
So, with the temps being that cold, are you able to put the bikes inside at night so they will start in the morning. !
Good question. Geez, the bikes are freezing up going down the road. What happens when they are parked?

Thanks for talking the time to do a ride report Paul. Your ride has my attention.
Untill I'm ready
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:02 AM   #66
RobBD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 305
And here was I complaining about the +36c temp today! Awesome you four, and I can't wait for more photos
RobBD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:03 AM   #67
OPNYD
Bald, old, crabby, & fast

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
Yes we do. The Aerostich studs #4606 and 4707. After trials and error the 4606 are the best for front and rear, and the tires are TKC 80's.

Cheers
Great report!!

Are those studs from Bruno Wessel? What length/diameter? Did you use their stud gun/drill? 'Stich doesn't sell the 4606 studs anymore & I'm trying to cross-reference to the (former) supplier - I think it was Wessel. The only studs in the new 'Stich catalog are the screw-in variety. Part #4606 is now a tire balancer.
OPNYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #68
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudcat View Post
Good question. Geez, the bikes are freezing up going down the road. What happens when they are parked?

Thanks for talking the time to do a ride report Paul. Your ride has my attention.
Yo! Yes the bikes start easily. In 08 when I reached -61 C, Frosty started but I had an extra battery connected on the system. What I have learned since then it that the bike starts easily up to about and maybe above -30 or so. Obviously the EFI works at this temp. I will know more as we go on. But So far we have not had to jump start the 800's. I also know that using 0W40 in Frosty helped a lot. we have 10W40 on the 800's. Time will tell.
As far as freezing going down the road I have no clue what you are saying. So fat at -40 I had to make shields for the radiators. But the bikes ran great.

Vehicles have been running at cold temps forever. Bikes are no different. A single cylinder has less moving parts. I am sure it helps make it run in old like this.
I will keep you posted as we go. But i can tell you this. Frosty has been running in temps up to -60 C for more than 35,000 kms. She is still running strong.

Cool! As far as the studs I will have to measure them.. So Andy at Aerostich does not carry the 4606 anymore?? I am surprised. I know they are B/O. But that is all.

When I have a chance I will measure them. But I think they are 8.7 MM by 12.8 MM.
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:43 AM   #69
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
I wonder if 4606 was a typo; maybe he meant 4706 and 4707, which are in their current catalog (complete with a review by, you guessed it, Paul Mondor).
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:44 AM   #70
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
I wonder if 4606 was a typo; maybe he meant 4706 and 4707, which are in their current catalog (complete with a review by, you guessed it, Paul Mondor).
Dammit! It was a typo. I am sorry! I meant 4606...Duhhhhhh!
I am French! That is my excuse and I am sticking to it.
Old 02-22-2011, 09:51 AM   #71
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 924
Tabernac'! You've now got the number 4606 stuck in your head, and it ain't ever coming out. You might have to get Andy to change his part number
sturgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 10:00 AM   #72
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Tabernac'! You've now got the number 4606 stuck in your head, and it ain't ever coming out. You might have to get Andy to change his part number
Glad you caught that
Here is the link.
http://www.aerostich.com/self-tappin...ire-studs.html
Old 02-22-2011, 10:15 AM   #73
OPNYD
Bald, old, crabby, & fast

Oddometer: 38
Quote:
Glad you caught that
Here is the link.
http://www.aerostich.com/self-tappin...ire-studs.html
Thanks for the help! I'll give 'em a try.
OPNYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #74
Mudcat
Unregistered

Oddometer: 4,472
Quote:
I also know that using 0W40 in Frosty helped a lot. we have 10W40 on the 800's. Time will tell.
As far as freezing going down the road I have no clue what you are saying. So fat at -40 I had to make shields for the radiators. But the bikes ran great.
Thanks Paul that is what I was referring too. I think the bike must have lost oil pressure. Also I had the idea your suspension wasn’t working well because of the cold.
Does oil flow at -40C?
Untill I'm ready

Mudcat screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 12:00 PM
Mudcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:46 PM   #75
shojac
Adventurer

Oddometer: 35
WOW, Another Iceman report. Just found this report and am hooked, just like the other ones.
Sure doesn't seem the same without "Frosty". Do you still have the sidecar attached.
Have a good trip and looking forward to reports.
shojac is offline   Reply With Quote