Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-10-2011, 09:48 PM   #61
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,964
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckracer View Post
Would plugging it in to a battery tender first warm it up enough to wake it up?
Chuck I don't think the small tenders push enough amps to warm it up, especially since the Shorai holds it's voltage very well and wouldn't likely take much if you were topping it off. It's not like a lead/acid battery. My Aprilia sat for 2 weeks after installing and testing the battery. It hadn't even lost a tenth of a volt in that time, still upper 13's.

IMHO I think what warms up the batteries is a good amps pull on 'em, either headlights for a few minutes, or a quick start attempt for a few seconds.

Mark, mine hasn't been on the charger since install and I've been running a Gerbing heated jacket liner on full on the rides, no mercy. Still fires the bike right off. Above freezing it's usually first cranks and it goes, doesn't need the internal warmup. Good thing too, because with no kicker, and standard auto-clutch, there's no push starting it either. Your GG must be a tough one to get going.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:08 AM   #62
b_faster
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Is there any chance the GG is drawing the battery down when parked?
b_faster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:10 AM   #63
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
Chuck I don't think the small tenders push enough amps to warm it up, especially since the Shorai holds it's voltage very well and wouldn't likely take much if you were topping it off. It's not like a lead/acid battery. My Aprilia sat for 2 weeks after installing and testing the battery. It hadn't even lost a tenth of a volt in that time, still upper 13's.

IMHO I think what warms up the batteries is a good amps pull on 'em, either headlights for a few minutes, or a quick start attempt for a few seconds.

Mark, mine hasn't been on the charger since install and I've been running a Gerbing heated jacket liner on full on the rides, no mercy. Still fires the bike right off. Above freezing it's usually first cranks and it goes, doesn't need the internal warmup. Good thing too, because with no kicker, and standard auto-clutch, there's no push starting it either. Your GG must be a tough one to get going.
these are notorious for killing even the best battery.. I still have a kick starter though, yeah, id say your battery better start, :)
Old 02-11-2011, 07:13 AM   #64
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,613
Quote:
Originally Posted by b_faster View Post
Is there any chance the GG is drawing the battery down when parked?
i checked that when i first got the bike.. it's not that...a little warmer outside or if i try to start it while it's inside my heated shop, it turns right over.

But the other day it was in the 20's and i pulled it on a trailer for about 15 mins to get to our riding spot. Must've just been too cold for her..
Old 02-14-2011, 01:49 PM   #65
ChR1s
Spherical Bastard

Oddometer: 336
Just installed the Shorai that was shipped from Adventure Machines. After checking its voltage (13.3 VDC as delivered), I padded the OE battery tray to situate the battery terminals as near to where the OE battery terminals were, and bolted it in. The '07 990A came to life noticeably quicker upon startup. I'm going to let it cold soak overnight, and check it again in the AM.
Old 02-15-2011, 09:08 AM   #66
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,027
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian123 View Post
Hi,

Thought I would just check with Shorai on suitability of my existing charger. very helpful response see below

Hi Ian,

Their documentation indicates that the charger should be fine for LFX, as the DESULFATE mode is based on sensing a high battery resistance. Since Shorai LFX ALWAYS have considerably lower resistance than even a brand-new lead-acid battery, the desulfate mode should never “kick in”. The only possible exception I can think of would be extreme cold, if the charger does not compensate for temps. I therefore recommend that it be used only when ambient is 32f (0 C) or higher.

In order for the recovery mode to engage, the OptiMate circuit needs to "see" a high resistance across the battery

terminals. In the case where the battery remains connected to the vehicle's wiring system, any battery-supported
accessories will automatically lower the overall resistance (battery plus accessories) that the OptiMate is going to
"read" when it tries to pass the limited maximum 200 mA to the battery. Therefore the OptiMate will not read the
battery resistance as being high enough to indicate deep discharge / sulphation and therefore will not engage the
recovery mode.

However, if you ride even once a month, you should never need to charge the LFX. We are NOT lead-acid, do not sulfate, have slow self-discharge, and do not need to be constantly fully charged!!

That is good news. Now I don't have to by a second charger,

Rapid Dog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:09 AM   #67
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
My new LFX18ah arrived from Advmachines a couple of days ago. It was already charged to 13.3 volts (90%), so I installed it, sprayed some CorrosionX on the terminals, and took it for a 30 minute ride so I could watch my dash mounted voltmeter to see how the KTM's charging system reacts to this new technology. BTW, the Shorai spun my '03 over noticably faster than the OEM 9 year old Yuasa. Voltage drop during start was also better (11.4v vs 9.6v). During the first 15 minutes, the DVM showed 13.7 - 13.9 volts while running 4k rpm. After 20 min it was up to 14.2 - 14.4 volts. After I stopped, the DVM read 14.2v which gradually decreased to 13.4 over the next 24 hrs.

I've been checking it for 3 days now without starting the bike to see how the Shorai holds its charge over time. It was 13.34 volts this AM. I checked before installing the new battery and parasitic drain for this bike was 0.0 ma.

A couple of other observations:

-The terminals on the Shorai are quite a bit less robust than the OEM, so the hamfisted out there should be careful. 30 inch/ounces of torque is spec'd. That aint much

- The nuts on the terminals are a PITA. They keep slipping out of place, and things get very fiddly quick. The quick fix is to stuff a piece of the foam from the kit behind the nuts to hold them in place.

- A "normal" lead-acid automatic trickle charger won't bring the Shorai up to full charge as they float around 13.3 volts which as stated above is 90% for the LFX. Need to get the Shorai charger if storing long term and can't run the bike long enough to charge it.

- The mfr recommends charging these batteries when they get to 50% which is 13.11v. Gonna be hard for most m/c owners to check these minute voltage changes. No problem if you have a DVM installed on the bike.

- Moving it to the tool box under the seat (my first thought) won't work too well on the Adventure, as it gets too hot under there for the LFX.

Now all that's left is to just go ride and see if it performs as well as my OEM did.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 11:28 AM   #68
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Bluhduh

....what shoulda taken 15 minutes turned out to be an hour+ installing the Shorai due to those damned crappy little connectors. If you have just the + and - cables I'm sure it would be a cinch, but with several accessories going to the battery it's a real bear to get the screws lined up.

Old 02-22-2011, 11:59 AM   #69
Head2Wind
MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer: 2,495
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapid Dog View Post
....what shoulda taken 15 minutes turned out to be an hour+ installing the Shorai due to those damned crappy little connectors. If you have just the + and - cables I'm sure it would be a cinch, but with several accessories going to the battery it's a real bear to get the screws lined up.
a little piece of foam under the nut to hold it up in place works well, otherwise it can be a major PITA to get all the terminals stacked, bolt through everything and then started correctly into the nut.. that is at the bottom of the battery terminal.
Head2Wind is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #70
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Head2Wind View Post
a little piece of foam ....
That's what I finally figured out but used longer screws.
I think the terminals are so wimpy cuz there's possibly regular lithium batterys in a square box as a container. The easiest way to connect the Li's to the outer case was to use those bendy metal treminals. What a gyp!

Old 02-22-2011, 01:43 PM   #71
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,074
I've got a Shorai and find the terminals will be, not may be, the first point of failure. I just recieved a new Ballistic Battery and it seems to be the best one available with near or equal Shorai prices. Hard case, flush terminals locked in the case and a great warranty. No complaints, quality looks first rate.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:37 PM   #72
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
- A "normal" lead-acid automatic trickle charger won't bring the Shorai up to full charge as they float around 13.3 volts which as stated above is 90% for the LFX. Need to get the Shorai charger if storing long term and can't run the bike long enough to charge it.
Deal breaker.

I've got too much cabbage wrapped up in Battery Tenders.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:57 PM   #73
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Me too, but I still have plenty of lead acid batteries in my fleet. Not likely to run out soon either.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:40 PM   #74
Nailhead
Painting by numbers

Oddometer: 6,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Me too, but I still have plenty of lead acid batteries in my fleet. Not likely to run out soon either.
As do I, but adding the price of another charger to the price of a Shorai, and yet another cord snaking around my garage doesn't hold very much appeal.

I guess I'll be staying exclusively in the lead acid camp-- at least with respect to the Shorai battery.

Thanks for mentioning that, though; the impression I had gotten earlier in the thread was that a Battery Tender would work with a Shorai.

'7? Benelli 650S, '80 BMW R100 RS, '07 KTM 990 Adventure
Nailhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #75
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nailhead View Post
As do I, but adding the price of another charger to the price of a Shorai, and yet another cord snaking around my garage doesn't hold very much appeal...
A 1.5 - 3 amp Trickle charger is useless with any discharged battery in my book.
From what I hear, the Shorai is hot enough out of the box to crank your bike.

Every biker should own a Variable 2/12 & Higher Amp Batt Charger.
I'll use my 2amp for my Shorai before it swap it for the HEAVY Stocker.
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote