User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #31
JUNAC
Straight Shooter

Oddometer: 665
Hey Geek,

Bike looks great. Just added another of your photos for my wallpaper.
I just picked up a black 05. I'm curious why you haven't changed the cans yet. How do you attach the Pelican to the luggage rack? Which crash bars are those? They look pretty beefy. SW Motech? Keep up the good work. I've got big plans for mine. Started a spreadsheet just so I can keep track of all the mods I want to do. Just have to fork out the cash.

KTM 950 ADVENTURE MUSCLE BIKE

XR650L WITH THE ARMY BOXES...R.I.P.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=640254

JUNAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #32
DeBandi
Exploring Alabama

Oddometer: 3,100
Nice work bro.

DeBandi

Visit ExploringAlabama.net

State Oval Decals Available
DeBandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:54 PM   #33
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,619
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Did you get a set of used side panels? I was planing to paint a used set with a flat or semigloss.

Nope.. not used. The ones I have on order "stick to the theme"

Geek screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 09:10 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:56 PM   #34
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUNAC View Post
Hey Geek,

Bike looks great. Just added another of your photos for my wallpaper.
I just picked up a black 05. I'm curious why you haven't changed the cans yet. How do you attach the Pelican to the luggage rack? Which crash bars are those? They look pretty beefy. SW Motech? Keep up the good work. I've got big plans for mine. Started a spreadsheet just so I can keep track of all the mods I want to do. Just have to fork out the cash.
If you want pics in larger size (I usually size them 1920x1200) they are in my smugmug: topgeek.smugmug.com

My cans have been de-catted and re-tig'd. . That fixed the heat problem and if I run into a grumpy cop (Denver has a stock-exhaust law though I have never seen it enforced) I should be safe.

I have the CJ Designs rear rack and the pelican bolted to it. The CJ rack is the perfect size for the Pelican 1450.

SW Motech crash bars.

I started a "mod log" when I first bought the bike.. and once it got to more than the cost of another motorcycle I stopped because I was afraid Cheryl would see it

Geek screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 09:09 PM
Old 02-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #35
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bairesman View Post
Sorry to ask a totally unrelated question. How do you like the Wolfman saddle bags? Are those the expeditions? Did you crash test them? Last but not least what racks are you using?
Thanks much, Martin
I love the Wolfman saddle bags. Loaded with my sleeping bag & stuff they weigh less than the gobis do empty! I am using the gobi racks with them. They are 100% waterproof.

I've not crash tested them (knock wood) though my girlfriend has dropped her F650 a few times and has yet to damage them.

Geek screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 09:08 PM
Old 02-22-2011, 10:21 PM   #36
xianx
High On Life

Oddometer: 132
Damn man that is a brilliant picture! i think i might see God in it, and i dont even know if i believe in God
Either way you have a gift, thank you for sharing it.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:23 PM   #37
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Thanks

The San Juan Mountain's are a special place

That pic is on the east side of Ophir Pass. A mile further on you crest the top and this is the view.

You can see the wolfman's in both of these pics. The tail bag I'm using is a HUGE watershed bag I use when I need to carry a ton of stuff with me (in this case a big tent, chairs, etc as I was camping with Cheryl).

I've received a message asking how much they hold... they don't hold a huge amount but when packed well they hold enough. At some point I'll try and post pics on what fits where when I'm camping.

Last summer I camped off the bike over 50 nights I dunno if I'll have time for that this summer

Geek screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 10:30 PM
Old 02-23-2011, 12:08 AM   #38
bikyto
Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer: 2,148
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
I have the CJ Designs rear rack and the pelican bolted to it. The CJ rack is the perfect size for the Pelican 1450.

SW Motech crash bars.

I think I've already asked...but I'll keep on bugging....

what mods do you have to make to your crashbars with your new tanks
bikyto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:47 AM   #39
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,291
Hello,

I changed a bit of the plumbing on mine.

The vent and T piece didn’t work for me when the tanks are really full. If you have filled them really to the top the vent pipes because they do not loop high enough, then act as a siphon on the first application of the brakes, you then lose a litre or so. Even when not completely full and you brake, for that little time that the petrol is forward it vents out. Also the vent pipe from the "T" piece was too short as it drains to just forward of the radiator and when it does drain I can smell petrol badly.

So I changed it by buying quite a bit of piping to create a loop that runs to the highest point behind the light (it’s a tight fit). At the highest point I put the “T” piece. This pipe then runs back through the head stock and then between the left tank and the frame above the radiator and then down by the clutch slave.

The other thing I’ve done as a result of having to fill other bikes more than once is make it easier to do this.

The right hand tank runs directly to the fuel petcock instead of going to the left tank forward tap. This pipe has a “T” piece that runs to the pump. On the left hand forward tap I have a pipe that I use to tap from.

The beauty of this system is that breaking the left tank is not a show stopper – just turn off the petcock. Break the right hand tank turn off the right forward tap.

This system would not work on the 990’s because of the pump being in the tank.

kamanya screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 05:02 AM
kamanya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:59 AM   #40
kamanya
Andrew to most

Oddometer: 1,291
Also, I know you’ve mounted it already, but the gasket on the fuel pump plate leaks easily. I had an issue with the gasket leaking.

This is because either the tanks brass bolt threaded sockets sit very slightly proud or, as the tanks plastic is not absolutely flat one or both can mess with the gasket seal not sitting flush. I counter sunk the plates holes on the brass side just enough that the now chamfered holes sit “around” the brass thread sockets rather than on them. This got around the interference that the brass threads were creating.

No leaks ever.

I don’t have pictures, clear as mud?
Old 02-23-2011, 07:20 AM   #41
Tijuana_Taxi
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geek View Post
Nope.. not used. The ones I have on order "stick to the theme"

I'm guessing you have sourced some carbon side panels from somewhere?
Tijuana_Taxi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #42
LocuL
Gnarly Infantry

Oddometer: 1,223
Now you really need to add the 2x10 liter reartanks. Then you do not have to stop at all. You can retire riding.

Old 02-23-2011, 02:20 PM   #43
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 18,281
[QUOTE=Geek
I started a "mod log" when I first bought the bike.. and once it got to more than the cost of another motorcycle I stopped because I was afraid Cheryl would see it [/QUOTE]

unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 07:08 PM   #44
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijuana_Taxi View Post
I'm guessing you have sourced some carbon side panels from somewhere?

They should be here sometime next week.

Euroheadlight & switch should be here Friday.

this weekend we are doing a "Freezing our Buttes Off" ride up to the Pawnee Buttes in the Pawnee National Grasslands.
It is an overnight winter-camping ride and unfortunately the weather is wanting to make us suffer; the low is supposed to be 4 degrees (i.e. -15 degrees celcius) with the high temp still below freezing.

So I need to have the bike together by Saturday morning so I can go freeze my arse off.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:12 PM   #45
Geek OP
oot & aboot

Has anyone had one of the KTM heated grips go bad?

My left grip has stopped working. I checked the wiring and it is all still connected. I guess my next step is to cut the entire wire off at the grip and re-wire it with different wire as there has to be a break in it somewhere