Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 02:17 AM   #16
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand View Post
I have Zega, and like em, [...] They are poundable back into shape.
Depends on what your idea of "shape" is, I guess.

I managed to trash one of mine in a little 10 mph tumble on ice, and try as I might I couldn't get them to properly close again. Those curves are really hard to get right, and the edges crack with too much hammering.

Still like them enough that I bought a new one. They're fairly narrow on the bike for the amount of space they give. Briefly considered getting some Daerr boxes, but they were too wide, didn't fit with my rack/seat.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:49 AM   #17
Airhead Wrangler
Adios Mexico

Oddometer: 6,342
I have happy trails boxes mounted on touratech racks with touratech pucks. Truly bomb proof. In June I got back from 30,000 miles of on/off road riding in central and south america over the course of 9 months with 6 other guys (2 others on GSPDs) and our luggage included Zegas, Jesses, Happy trails, Caribou and Alpos. Mine and the Alpos were the ONLY ones that were not getting repaired CONSTANTLY on the trip.

The Jesses and Caribous faired the worst, not due to the boxes, but the mounting systems. The caribou rack for the GSPD just disintegrated completely on numerous occasions. The way the jesses mounted they caused the subframe to break over and over again. The Zegas crumble in crashes. Also the seams are riveted and sealed with silicone so after your first crash all your gear gets wet the next time you ride in the rain. The happy trail boxes are not the prettiest but are truly bomb proof. Mine sustained several crashes, one with a car, and show nothing other than a nice smear of red paint from the car. The happy trail mounts that two of the other guys used came apart a few times and required some welding. That and the little metal hooks they use for attachment aren't the nicest solution. I'm VERY happy with my setup. The touratech racks are SERIOUSLY sturdy. For what they cost, they damn well better be. The Alpos boxes were on an XT600 and were held on by a home-made rack that was probably TOO sturdy. It did the job nicely though.

Current rides: HPN #834, '93 R100GSPD "red rocket", '73 R75/5 Toaster mongrel, '80 Ducati Pantah 500SL, '92 DR350, '67 Honda SS50, '80 Honda Chaly.

Airhead Wrangler screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 07:22 AM
Airhead Wrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #18
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Oddometer: 25,175
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Chicken View Post
Depends on what your idea of "shape" is, I guess.

I managed to trash one of mine in a little 10 mph tumble on ice, and try as I might I couldn't get them to properly close again. Those curves are really hard to get right, and the edges crack with too much hammering.

Still like them enough that I bought a new one. They're fairly narrow on the bike for the amount of space they give. Briefly considered getting some Daerr boxes, but they were too wide, didn't fit with my rack/seat.
I managed to massage this back into a working lid:

The racks indeed are sturdy, and so far have never flinched, nor broken the subframe. I agree, the aluminum bags are fairly flimsy, and the system has its disadvantages.

Did I mention they take stickers really well?
Old 02-22-2011, 07:58 AM   #19
Cigars&Scotch
My eyes are up here

Oddometer: 1,829
Take a look. Expensive, but have had zero trouble with them.
Plus stickers

"Why don't you buy some flea collars for your ankles so the ants wont climb up you leg and bite your candy ass!!!" Kennyanc 07 H.Springs

38 BMW R71 w/sidecar Kung Fu version
77 BMW R90S Huh ?
90 BMW R100GS/PD "At last!"

NRA Life Member, Trout Unlimited Life Member
Drink till I'm Drunk Life Member
Cigars&Scotch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 08:01 AM   #20
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

Oddometer: 4,611
I like the Happy Trails fairly cheap, a guy sells some similar ones for $299???, you have to supply the mounts. HT mounting has issues with turning and dropping a bag, this can be cured though. I have a friend who lost one. The upper mounts can pivot loosing grip. I've tested mine on the highway sliding on pavement at 50-55 mph till stopped by a guardrail. The bag was removed, but was able to beat it back in shape to reattach.

You can keep the mount from rotating by adding rollpins to the top mounts and drilling little locating holes in the bag.

2003 Suzuki DRZ 400S (TAT Prep)
One More DRZ does the TAT (Ride Report)

One Less Harley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 04:55 PM   #21
bikecat
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Need an education here.

The stock R100GS mounts, how sturdy are they? Can any panniers be mounted to those with the right puck/mounting system?

Thanks.
bikecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:01 PM   #22
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikecat View Post
Need an education here.

The stock R100GS mounts, how sturdy are they? Can any panniers be mounted to those with the right puck/mounting system?

Thanks.
I think they are sturdy enough, just a funky parallelogram shape thats hard to mate.
Old 02-22-2011, 05:23 PM   #23
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

One way that worked for me was to clamp the bags on the racks then remove the rack to mark where the mounts will be located on the bag. The first one is easy, getting the second one in the same location takes more work and four hands.

There's probably an easier way, but not in my simple mind.

I haven't had any issues with the stock reinforced mounts (check the G/S below), but don't have as many off road miles as I would like. No problems w/ the mounts busting in the mentioned wreck. No racks were available for the G/S, but HT sell's them for the GS, there were some fitting issues so one rider mentions elsewhere. If riding rough trails get the racks or spend the time adding gussets. Given a choice I'd buy the racks.

BTW-
you will need at the very least a rear cross bar/brace, not w/ soft bags though.

One Less Harley screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 05:52 PM
Old 02-22-2011, 05:44 PM   #24
SOLO LOBO
airhead or nothing

Oddometer: 8,567
Quote:
Need an education here.

Thanks.
If you are planning on riding some tough off-road miles and want durability go up to whatever racks you are thinking about getting, and while wearing sturdy boots pick the weakest area of the rack and give it a few seriously hard kicks.... if it bends, don't use 'em.

One note, try that with the TT racks and you might hurt your foot, BMW racks I think you have a good chance of breaking 'em

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stagehand
your bike is suitably dirty. Well done.
SOLO LOBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:45 PM   #25
fishkens
Further...

Oddometer: 5,147
Quote:
Need an education here.

Thanks.
I've found the stock mounts to be pretty durable. They've survived a number of low speed off-road get offs...until one didn't. Fortunately, I was just a day away from home in New Mexico and I held it together with a ancra strap (the welds didn't break completely). Got back into town and had it welded back together with sturdy gussets. Sometime I'll add similar gussets to the shaft side (R100GS).

The failure was at the arms that extend over the muffler to the hoop. They scissored. Looking at the design, it's not surprising.

Here's my best ASCII art showing the diagonal gussets that were added (just imagine that it's 1995 pre-photos ):

....../|\............................/|\
...../ | \........................../ | \
__/...|..\_______________/..|..\ ____

Bottom line: If that's what you've got I'd say that they're sturdy but I would add a few reinforcements including welding the cross brace between the two hoops. If you're buying now, some of the sturdier racks may be a better start.

fishkens screwed with this post 02-22-2011 at 05:54 PM
fishkens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:00 AM   #26
tennessee thumper
now in Mt. View, AR

Oddometer: 647
I'm in the minority on this, I know...I find the big alum bags way more than needed for everyday use. Not to mention I like being able to stash a helmet in a side open bag.

If I were heading out on a cross continent trip I could really use a set of alums, but most of my traveling does not require these monsters.

For those not looking for the alum route I found this review with pics on the Hepco Juniors....Appears to be a very stylish and sturdy alternative to stock bags.

http://www.cyclepathic.com/HepcoBecker/HepcoBecker.htm
tennessee thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:07 AM   #27
bmwblake
upside down parker

Oddometer: 3,277
i ditched an old set of HT bags after vibrating one almost in half. i didn't realize until after i was home that the subframe was split. this was using the stock bmw mounts.

now i'm using either the stock bmw bags if i need bags in town or a giant loop great basin for traveling.
bmwblake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 08:10 AM   #28
Stagehand
+/- V TDSPP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennessee thumper View Post
I'm in the minority on this, I know...I find the big alum bags way more than needed for everyday use. Not to mention I like being able to stash a helmet in a side open bag.

If I were heading out on a cross continent trip I could really use a set of alums, but most of my traveling does not require these monsters.

For those not looking for the alum route I found this review with pics on the Hepco Juniors....Appears to be a very stylish and sturdy alternative to stock bags.

http://www.cyclepathic.com/HepcoBecker/HepcoBecker.htm
I can fit a helmet in the larger of the two Zega bags, but barely at that, and not much else. I dont keep them on for my twenty mile commute.. I just spider bungee the computer bag to the rear rack.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #29
Screaming Chicken
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 405
I swapped the stock BMW rack for a TT one. The stock rack will certainly keep the bags off the ground and probably more, but the TT rack feels a lot sturdier, there's less flex which is good since there's plenty of flex in the main frame as it is.
In the land of Bavaria, where the boxers ride...
(Gandalf the oil-stained)
Screaming Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:29 AM   #30
One Less Harley
OH.THAT'S GONNA HURT

My first set of HT bags were the largest they made, sold them and got smaller ones. A plus side on small bags, it forces you to carry less, which most people could do anyway. If you have large bags you'll find that you'll carry more stuff that you can probably do without.

Less weight is better for the bike handling plus the sub-frame!!!