Old 02-23-2011, 02:27 PM   #1
DirtyDog OP
Lust for dust.

Oddometer: 7,243
Wicked Six Okies get the bends

Where do we go from here?
The words are coming out all weird
Where are you now, when I need you

Loosely planned. Finely executed. No flats or broken bones. One citation. Good food. Good beer. Good weather. Good times.

Six Okies from the Tulsa area headed down to Big Bend Texas for a 5-day trip. We hauled 5+1 bikes in a trailer and Dodge, respectively, and hauled some bodies in a borrowed Mazda.

The players:
Jerry (aka Fotobo, WR250R)
Rick (aka Dirt2007, 950SE)
Ralph (aka Jumpjet, DRZ SM/S)
Tom (aka Tomski74, DR650)
Brian (aka Newner, green KLR650)
myself (aka DirtyDog, black KLR650)

The plan:
Day 1- drive 750 miles to Big Bend National Park
Day 2- ride
Day 3- ride
Day 4- ride
Day 5- drive 750 miles to Tulsa

The drive South was uneventful aside from getting pulled over and accused of bike theivery. We rolled into Cottonwood Campground at 3:30 am.

Sunrise came quickly and we feasted on breakfast burritoes before heading out into the dust. Our plan to ride one day in Mexico was thwarted by the US Passport system (and possible processing delays due to the blizzards?). I was the only one lacking a passport. Despite my urges that I would have ditched any one of my compadres to ride in Mexico, they insisted on unity and we scrapped the international component. This left Day 2 as a wander-fest. We stared at the topo maps a bit and just headed out. Managed to turn it into a 130 mile day and we were all a bit beat from little sleep.

We rode river road, Black Gap road, made a stop at the hot springs for a soak, and headed back to camp.

The group got separated for a while on Black Gap when Rick took a fall and attempted to disassemble his KTM. He boogered his foot in the process, so we're lucky he was ok.

Tom waits and watches for our stragglers.

We all survived Black Gap and headed into Panther (aka Pampers) Junction for fuel and respite. It was nearly 90 degrees by then.

Newner's chain needed some adjustment.

Group pic.

Then we stopped at the hot springs before slabbing back to camp.
The ladies were impressed.

Just the necessities for desert survival.

Day 1 was mild, but fulfilling.

Carnage pics of Rick's foot.

Didn't ruin our appetites. We paired into teams to handle the cooking duties. Each pair planned a dinner and a breakfast. We typically had lunch on the trail. First night was newner and myself. We made grilled chicken, corn on the cob, and beans. It was good.

Wildlife sightings. The javelina smelled it too and came out of the woods for a taste.

The rest of the night was spent telling lies, drinking beer and tequila. We had great plans for tomorrow.

Day 3 coming soon...

DirtyDog screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 03:30 PM
DirtyDog is offline   Reply With Quote