Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #76
krazygloo
pinch me

Oddometer: 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobBD View Post
And here was I complaining about the +36c temp today! Awesome you four, and I can't wait for more photos
Rob, I guess the good thing about the cold temperatures, no insects at all, you have to build up a protective layer of fat, which means you can eat anything or use it as an excuse, plus, and my favourite, you get to wear bib pants everywhere!
Old 02-23-2011, 08:33 AM   #77
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazygloo View Post
Rob, I guess the good thing about the cold temperatures, no insects at all, you have to build up a protective layer of fat, which means you can eat anything or use it as an excuse, plus, and my favourite, you get to wear bib pants everywhere!
I agree on all of the above... Plus!!! You lose the weight as you ride. I always lost about 1-15 lbs on my trips. I expect maybe 20 on this one..
Stay tuned I am posting updates this morning.
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 09:30 AM   #78
paulmondor OP
Iceman

By the way here is how cold it got on our way from Peace River to Slave Lake.

Okee Dokee! Fort McMurray
What can I say about this place?? The locals are great and truly love it. But driving on highway 63 coming here 2 days ago reminded me what happens when you pay large sums of money to men with small dicks and let them buy large pickup trucks as a way to medicate for the small man syndrome.. I do not want to generalize and there are many normal guys. But Damn!!! Is there a lot of them that are.......
it is nuts.. Pick up trucks with more bling than Snoop Dog in a fashion show and these trucks will most likely never see dirt duty unless you consider dirt duty going to the pub on your day off and load you empty cases of beer and dealing with the local sex trade industry.

Enough of this. I know! We need oil and that is true..
We woke up in Slave Lake and the weather was good. It was about -20 when we left. The 800's started right away. Whoops! I am forgetting something here.
We went ice fishing on Lake Athabasca.

When we got there the winds were whipping out asses big time.. So I decided to ride in the box of the pickup truck to take some pictures. I had not dressed as if I was to go riding. So let's just say that my manhood was warm because it was so cold it had retracted in my ass.. No Comments

We did some fishing and eating.. No drinking. Mind you this environment promotes drinking big time
There was a wood stove and I stoked the fire as soon as we came.

Took the gas powered ogre and drilled the ice off the holes. Then we sat down and started fishing. It was great. outside, the wind was howling and it was nice and toasty inside.

We did not catch anything but we ended up serving ourselves a copious amount of BS and jokes.
During this event Paul Iceman Mondor A.K.A Ice Pimp Daddy Rappa showed up and showed off his rap moves.. Cool!

Yo Ice Fackas!
Wazzzup you loozas
In the hood to do some hookin?
not to steel my ho's (Holes) away from ma pimpin"
Take yoh time and chill out Brotha
Coz the blowin will ice you, you sacka!
Lock the door and sit yo ass warm and lo
and enjoy the fishies nibblin on your minnow
Take yo bling an put in in you parka
cause Winter will freeze it on you skin you white trash sukka
Hear you ride scootas down these parts?
am sure you ass's so chilled you cannot fart
Enjoy yo time on my lake and in my hood
While this fire melts the ice outta yo blood.

See ya later you numb nuts.... Really!!!
Cause yo sure can see you willie.... really!!!

Chill! Peace!!

Where was I! oh yeah. After fishing we went back to Slave Lake and got ready for the ride to Fort Mac. It was -20 when we left and it was supposed to get warmer to about -10. Turns out it hovered between -5 and -17. Almost T-shirt riding weather.
It is 160 to Athabasca where we had to stop to go film at a local Chopper shop. I will post the pictures later. Can't find it.. (Frozen 2 brain cells)
then we rode to Fort Mac! 300 kms. We left Slave Lake at 7:45, stopped at Athabasca at 10:30, left there at 12:30 and got to Fort Mac at 4 PM. We hauled ass. the road was clear and there was construction going on.. But overall it was most likely the easiest day so far.
we are staying at the Sawridge Inn and it is awesome.
We had some Northern lights watching scheduled for last night after sledding. but it did not happen as the ceiling was too low.
We had a great tine sledding. they have beautiful back country here and lots of space.

Yours truly flying around.

Today we are goiing to get picked up at the hotel by helicopter and go to the oil sands sites and see an aerial view of them. apparently it is impossible to imagine how big they are till you see it from the air..
Tomorrow we leave at 10 AM for the ice road because the traffic out of town is bumper to bumper from 5 till 10 going to the sites. Then we will ride the ice road from Fort Mac to Port Smith where we sleep in a Park crew shack. Cool
I prefer this then the fancy schmanzee hotels. Make me feel more pat of where I am .

Stay tuned

paulmondor screwed with this post 02-23-2011 at 04:45 PM
Old 02-23-2011, 09:37 AM   #79
paulmondor OP
Iceman

write up

I had written a little something before the trip to get me in the writing mode and send it to a few mags.. But did not!!
I thought I would share this.
Just a thought on riding in cold conditions.

Enjoy

Cheers

Comfort zone

I was looking at my father’s 1970’s Suzuki Rover 125 while he was gone for the week end and I was scared to start it because A) I knew I was not allowed, and 2) I had searched him room and found the key. He sure would ground me till the age of 50. After pondering the idea for a long time, I hit the starter. The ride that followed ended on the barn door after an unwanted wheelie. But! And there always is a “But” this led to a life long addiction…Motorcycling.
From then, it grew into what is now a 35 year, 1.6 million miles addiction covering more land than most people would care to calculate. This addiction took different approaches at attacking my comfort zone.
From riding my 1981 Honda CB900 Custom on the gravel shoulder at 130 M.P.H, then riding my cousin’s YZ450 up a sand pit at speeds that were 5 times too fast (They did not mention it) and saw the bike’s handlebars hook on two very large pines lining the edge of a tobacco plantation and yours truly land, unhurt-well my pride was-in the tobacco field with his ass leaving a 3 inch deep, twenty feet long trench. With many, many more events taking place along these, the rider I was grew into someone, some say “Something” who can push the envelope more than most would dare, and discover limits that I often did not know I had. This comfort zone is always there, lurking in the dark, keeping us from growing into what we can be.
From the rain falling down, to the thermometer looking a bit too much south of where we believe it HAS to be.
“Naah! I do not feel like washing my bike!”
“Crap! I will have to put twenty layers on, just to go have a coffee!”
“This road just does not feel right or look right for my own liking”
“Ahh! Too far, and not enough time. (Read-lazy)

Not pushing it has kept a lot of us riders from finding this perfect little coffee shop in the fall with a fireplace roaring, and the perfect ass hugging couch to plop ourselves in sipping on whatever hard to pronounce coffee we order these days; and watch the rain fall on your steed as you say to yourself “Yeah! That was a great ride!”

It might also have kept you form honing those skills that keeps eluding you. You know the one? The one that makes your rear end look mummified as the rear wheel squiggles on this non traction-providing surface. And Lord do I know it has kept so many from taking off for a few days because the weather forecast was not quite up to their liking. And for what? To end waking up Monday, going to work after the long week end and hear a few of your now not so funny friends tell you how they just spent the greatest 3-day long week end on some roads that make your brain cells and senses feel like they have been hit by an howitzer.
For me the realization that I now enjoy pushing the envelope more than ever, came in the heart of summer 2010 at Mosport International raceway in Bowmanville Ontario.
This realization came in the form of a rider who came to me after listening to my presentations about my “Could be just a birth defect that makes him want to do this sh…” winter treks.
Mark approached me with a smile only a motorcyclist can relate to. A smile that says so much, and yet; can’t be put into words. As he took two of my books and asked me to sign them, he proceeded to tell me how late last fall, on a dark cold day, he put a week permit on his 1984 R100RT and rode on a road he had never done in bad weather. One of these roads that most likely get covered with road debris, branches and everything else that can be thrown on the tarmac. He told me that even though he had ridden it many times in summer, he had always wanted to ride it during the off-season. (His off-season) I still see the twinkle in his eyes, as he told me about the many rear wheel squiggles, and how he is now comfortable with them. The way the road somehow now looks new, and the scenery so different. The lack of bikes on the road normally buzzing with them. The feeling he had as he sat (Yep! By a fireplace) sipping on a hot cup of coffee as the wind howled and the skies kept trying to scare him away. He also discovered that dirt would not kill his bike, or his ride; and that the layers of dirt you put on only add to this sense you have conquered Mr. Cold! Or Ms.Cold? (I don’t feel like getting nasty Emails from over the top feminists)

He told me about this peace, this comfort that took over him as the warmth in that coffee shop made him realize that his comfort zone had kept him from this for so many years. The same peace, emotion and comfort I have been preaching about for so many years now. I am told that somewhere in Northern Ontario there is a place where he and only he; shows up in the cold season on a bike. I think he will give it his best shot to change that!

It was while I listened to Mark that I felt this realization.

Push yourself a bit more than you normally do, and you will learn something every time. Something you did not know; and most likely would have never known you could learn. Push yourself, push a friend, and together (It feels even better this way) you will see what I mean. If you don’t? Well, to you, I will only be the crazy Iceman who rides in -60 C and writes about it. But if you do, you might be the one who I will meet at this coffee shop with a fireplace and who will succeed at teaching me (I am French Canadian) how to pronounce “One large Macchiato- Caramel- low fat-decaffeinated Americano with no foam please. For here!
Old 02-23-2011, 09:40 AM   #80
JACjac
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Awesome stuff! I've driven all those roads in similar conditions and it is hairy enough in a 4x4. Subscribed and waiting eagerly for more.
JACjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 10:27 AM   #81
TheMule
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 401
Glad this got moved to RR or I'd have missed it. Simply OUTSTANDING!! I'm subscribed for the duration.

TW Goes To Alaska Solo
http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...ght=utah+tw200

My Bike
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ighlight=tw200 (Sold )

My New Bike (03/09)

2001 Tiger 955i - Fully Farkled
TheMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 PM   #82
Norry
A Great Bloke

Oddometer: 64
" when you pay large sums of money to men with small dicks and let them buy large pickup trucks as a way to medicate for the small man syndrome.." Paulmondor.
Enough with the diplomacy Paul, we're all pretty open minded here mate, just tell us what you really think and stop beating around the bush!
Old 02-23-2011, 02:36 PM   #83
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by norry View Post
" when you pay large sums of money to men with small dicks and let them buy large pickup trucks as a way to medicate for the small man syndrome.." paulmondor.
Enough with the diplomacy paul, we're all pretty open minded here mate, just tell us what you really think and stop beating around the bush!
Old 02-23-2011, 03:44 PM   #84
JimmieA
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,190
Not to be picky but I think you were fishing on Lesser Slave Lake not Lake Athabasca. You will cross Lake Athabasca north of McMurray. Did you manage to contact the riders from McMurray that are riding north this week? They may have left the 23 so you maybe one day behind them. It would be too bad if you missed them from a human interest point of view for your project.

When you see a tall rock pile (mini mountain) in the middle of the lake your almost at Fort Chip. Many people have gotten lost on the river/lake in boats in the summer. A thought just came to me: there are many turns on the winter road and blind hills. Be aware of vehicles roaring around the turn and into your lane, keep way to your side etc.

As you have said there is major traffic on the north part of Hw#63 in the morning, a bumper to bumper ride for a few hours, maybe 6:00 to 8:00. It could be the busyest road for it's size in Canada, think I read that somewhere. Also the road is one of the deadlest in Canada for it's size.

Hope you enjoyed the plane trip over the oilsands. Hope it gives you an idea of how much money is invested in those places. I laugh when someone complains about the price of gas. To buy 2x1/2 litre bottles of water (or soda pop) costs about twice as much as a litre of gas at a gas station. Compare the cost of producing a bottle of water to the money invested in those plants and the 15,000 employees working out there and you can see the benifits.

JimmieA.
JimmieA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 04:44 PM   #85
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmieA View Post
Not to be picky but I think you were fishing on Lesser Slave Lake not Lake Athabasca.

JimmieA.
You are right! My fault. yes we had a great plane trip and YES! We re looking forward to the Ice road.. Will keep you posted...
Cheers and thanks again.
Old 02-24-2011, 04:57 AM   #86
Rockmuncher
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 754
While i was there I was lucky enough to experienced something I was told I should try. well-actually two things.
1) I tried a "Rink Burger" This thing if we can call it a burger is the only thing I have ever paid almost $6 for and that tasted like NOTHING. The patty was some kind of concoction that was frozen for most likely 10 years and was made with products that have name destined to be pronounced in the best of Star Trek episodes. No taste whatsoever. Even the cheese wa tasteless. Has anyone ever had cheese that has no taste? Even bad cheese tastes something. Then, maybe it was not cheese. This is oil country after all. Where people live, breathe and dream oil. Maybe it is some kind of experiment. they get a cow to eat oil sand fed grass and the result is this plastic sheet called cheese. As for the "Beef Patty"? I would rather not know what it was. But one thing for sure! They were selling shit loads of them.
===============================================
Wow, now the oil workers are to blame for bad burgers! WTF? Everytime you put the nozzle in your tank, remember, that dino juice had to come from somewhere. Quit shitting on the oil workers, we pay most of the bills in this country!
Rockmuncher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:13 AM   #87
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher1 View Post
While i was there I was lucky enough to experienced something I was told I should try. well-actually two things.
1) I tried a "Rink Burger" This thing if we can call it a burger is the only thing I have ever paid almost $6 for and that tasted like NOTHING. The patty was some kind of concoction that was frozen for most likely 10 years and was made with products that have name destined to be pronounced in the best of Star Trek episodes. No taste whatsoever. Even the cheese wa tasteless. Has anyone ever had cheese that has no taste? Even bad cheese tastes something. Then, maybe it was not cheese. This is oil country after all. Where people live, breathe and dream oil. Maybe it is some kind of experiment. they get a cow to eat oil sand fed grass and the result is this plastic sheet called cheese. As for the "Beef Patty"? I would rather not know what it was. But one thing for sure! They were selling shit loads of them.
===============================================
Wow, now the oil workers are to blame for bad burgers! WTF? Everytime you put the nozzle in your tank, remember, that dino juice had to come from somewhere. Quit shitting on the oil workers, we pay most of the bills in this country!
Whoooow! Touchy! Touchy!

Like I said! I did want to generalize. Just describing (Some) and have a good laugh. Humour as (Most) of the world knows is the best medicine.. As for the burgers? I meant it. It takes real men and women to have it and these players ate it like candy. It was actually a compliment to the players. Not the burgers. I am reminded how I often hear jokes about French Canadian and how a lot of people in this country dislike the French. I agree, and I am one of them. But on the other hand, I also am intelligent enough to realize that a few bad people can make the numerous great ones look bad. I like these jokes about Frogs. Hell! I have a frog tattooed on my arm!

So If your reaction is any indication, it shows two things.

1) I am pretty accurate in describing what I have seen, and even the locals seem to agree with the "Projected" image.
2) if the hat fits Buddy? wear it! Sorry! if the (Depicted) pickup is parked in your driveway? Drive it
As for you guys paying the bills in this country? Funniest thing; and saddest thing I have ever heard.
But I think you just helped me prove my point.
Thank you!!
But like I always said and I accept it. "An opinion is like an asshole! Everybody got one..
Can you send me your address? I will send you my visa bill so you can pay it.

Cheers and and have a better day Buddy

PS:Oh! And one last thing! I have done my service in the army and paid my dues. Many people dislike for good reasons the military machine. Fair enough! They have the right to like or dislike what they want. We are all individuals and God bless their hearts. But, you do not hear me say that the sacrifices we made, and the things we did allow insecure little men and women to overreact to little threats ( If they can be called threats)to their little egos. I never did and I never will. It would be like saying Oil workers pay the bills in this country. What an insult to Canadians overall. Sometimes I wonder if we ended up with the right targets in our crosshairs.

paulmondor screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 06:57 AM Reason: correcion
Old 02-24-2011, 06:32 AM   #88
Smilin' Dave
I am smiling

Oddometer: 117
Paul, do you run normal air pressure in your tires? I have been doing some winter riding this year, and i'm going on the theory that a lower psi will create more heat in the tire so more stick on cold dry pavement. This seems reasonable but maybe i'm hurting traction on snow covered roads by having a wider foot print. Any thoughts on this.
'96 KLR 650
'88 ZX-10
Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 06:42 AM   #89
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smilin' Dave View Post
Paul, do you run normal air pressure in your tires? I have been doing some winter riding this year, and i'm going on the theory that a lower psi will create more heat in the tire so more stick on cold dry pavement. This seems reasonable but maybe i'm hurting traction on snow covered roads by having a wider foot print. Any thoughts on this.
Hey Buddy!

I normally ride at Max PSI both front and rear. 42 PSI on my TKC's. But in winter I run them at about 40LBS on hard packed snow or ice conditions. I once ran them at 25 PSI around the great lakes in 07 when they had closed to TCH and there was 6 inch of snow. But I was riding at 20-30 km/h ad it worked awesome. SO i think it helps traction at lower speed in deep snow and minimizes CONTROL at high speed as you will have more flex. Plus I had no studs. I do not think it would make a difference with the studs I have if I lowered the PSI. (MY opinion)
I for one agree with you. it raises the temp on the tires a bit in cold, but I am not sure it would actually be as lethal as in summer.
Hopes this helps.

Cheers
Old 02-24-2011, 07:47 AM   #90
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 152
IMHO, I think that story describing your introduction to the world of 2 wheels,should be printed in EVERY bike mag,in case so that all that ride can enjoy it.Damn,what a ride so far!
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote