ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-24-2005, 07:54 AM   #1
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 515
Talking Give Me Your One BEST Thought

I am going on a LONG adventure from Atlanta Georgia north east to Qubec Canada, then NORTH to Labrador, across Newfoundland and on to Nova Scotia. Then to upstate NY, across to Indiana, backtrack to the National in OH, then home again to GA.

Please give me your ONE best thing to SEE or DO in the Eastern US and Canada. I don't know exactly my route or even the states I am going to hit. I don't think it really matters. I am not a Civil War freak, nor do I need to go to Cooperstown. But whatever you got? Post it here.

Thanks so mucho.
Charles
charles960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 10:40 AM   #2
HowlingMad
drags knuckles

Oddometer: 1,351
How about one thing per state? No? too bad.

Maine - Acadia
NH - White Mountains - Take RT 112 (Kancamagus)
HowlingMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Jack90210
mindful

Oddometer: 15,168
The "fjord" area of Saguenay, QC, between Lac St. Jean and the St. Lawrence River -- awesome sights, good food, nice camping, wonderful people. Ferry back across the St. Lawrence and take 132 and the back roads out to Forillon/Gaspe.

I must say that my son has exposed a reservoir of love and of worry within me that I never knew existed. --nskitts, 9/2/12
Jack90210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #4
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

yes, and ...

What else guys?
Old 05-25-2005, 07:11 PM   #5
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,020
Atlantic Provinces

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles960
What else guys?
Contact the tourism web sites for Nova Scotia and Labrador/Newfoundland. They will send you free guides and maps.

IMHO, Gros Morne National park and the original Viking site on Newfoundland. Ride the Cabot Trail around Cape Breton in Nova Scotia. Camp on the Bay of Fundy and watch the tide (10+ meters) come in. It is one of the most amazing natural phenomena in the world. Ever walked on the ocean floor 30 feet below the water line?

Oh, and changing your watch 30 minutes when you cross out of the Atlantic Time zone to the Newfoundland Time zone is a trip too. I still haven't figured that one out.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2005, 10:35 PM   #6
ghostryder
made it

Oddometer: 5,725
Charles, I was thinking/planning on doing most of the same trip this year, when are you leaving?
ghostryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 07:13 AM   #7
MrE
computer driver

Oddometer: 1,083
The roads of the Alleghany mtns (northern WV).

And even if you aren't a civil war freak, Antietam and Ghettysburg are very interesting and moving parks. When you look at those fields and think about the carnage it is powerful. I am not a civil war freak, but I do have a mild interest in history. Something about those who don't know their history are destined to repeat it...
The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.
- Thomas Jefferson
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2005, 05:19 PM   #8
charles960 OP
Studly Adventurer

soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by GHOSTRYDER
Charles, I was thinking/planning on doing most of the same trip this year, when are you leaving?
My plan is to leave around June 4. The ferry in Happy Valley Goose Bay does not even begin until June 12, allowing the continuation of my journey to Cartwright. I believe it will still be quite cold at night, but s/b excellent daytime weather.
Old 05-27-2005, 03:40 AM   #9
slowmotion
Banned

Oddometer: 3,709
The Blue Ridge Parkway would be good to see in the South.
slowmotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2005, 08:12 PM   #10
Jeff Munn
Just along for the ride..

Oddometer: 2,020
On your way to Goose Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles960
My plan is to leave around June 4. The ferry in Happy Valley Goose Bay does not even begin until June 12, allowing the continuation of my journey to Cartwright. I believe it will still be quite cold at night, but s/b excellent daytime weather.
For an international flavor on the way, try to plan on visiting the international "BMW rallye du Quebec" from 17-19 June. It is being held at the Camp Richelieu Vive La Joie, 26, route de la Station, Saint Modeste, Quebec. www.campvivelajoie.com

From everyone I've talked to, doing the Trans-Labrador is best going from west to east, thru Quebec first. That way you get the bad taste of the Quebec'r distain for Americans out of the way early in the trip and it doesn't sour your experience on the way back. Besides, Newfoundland and Nova Scotia are a great way to end the trip.

We'll be heading that way in late July. Sorry we'll miss you, but please post if anything untowards happens on your trip. Don't forget to take gear for the black flies. If you've never experienced them, you are in for a treat.

2004 ADVRider Mileage Champion 48,350 miles

Riding Central America Feb 2006

England to China Apr-Aug 2007

Central America Ride Planning and Road Wisdom
Jeff Munn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 10:35 AM   #11
WoundedKnee
Adventurer

Oddometer: 79
Scenery : Blue Ridge Parkway and Mt Mitchell, North Carolina - highest point east of the Mississippi.

Aviation : National Air & Space Museum - Steven Udvar-Hazy Center. It's located at Washington-Dulles airport. See http://www.nasm.si.edu/museum/udvarhazy for more details.

Good Biking : I've heard Rt 144 North in Central Pennsylvannia is very good.
WoundedKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2005, 11:28 AM   #12
andy29847
Dirt Road Rider

Oddometer: 2,189
one thing

Niagara Falls. Spend the night on the Canadian side of Nigagra Falls. The view from that side is great, there is a lot to do, and the rooms are not too expensive.
ABC#8350
IBA#7647,
Trenton, SC
Smugmug coupon code = bQItjZEfrqLkI
MOAB Ride Report
andy29847 is offline   Reply With Quote