User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-24-2011, 01:43 PM   #1
BCBackRoads OP
Travels with Gumby

Oddometer: 152
Can you stand one more Idaho Road Report?

It was an itch that needed to be scratched! We had taken a number of trips into the secondary roads of the North West US over the past few years. While we had thoroughly enjoyed the trips, we frequently found ourselves at the end of the pavement looking at a fascinating gravel road going off into the unknown. (Unknown to us that is.) While my ST is a great bike on the highway it’s not very happy on gravel.

In the meantime, we had each acquired dual-sport bikes in the past couple of years and had started exploring the less travelled roads close to home. However, some great road reports here on ADVrider kept me thinking about the back roads of Idaho. In the midst of last winter Tom came across an ad for the Stanley Stomp, a rally put on by the Idaho BMW Riders. The rally was being held in August at the Sawtooth Lodge in Grandjean, in the spectacular Sawtooth Mountains. We sent in our registrations and just like that we had ourselves a destination!

The next step was to plan a route. The goal was to travel north to south in Idaho by the most scenic route possible while avoiding major roads and highways arriving in time for the Stomp. After the rally we would return home through Hells Canyon and Oregon. I spent many hours were spent pouring over images on Google Earth and looking at topographical maps on Mapsource. In the end I had a number of possible routes planned and loaded on the GPS.

The team consisted of Tom, Adrian and me (Wayne). Tom was on his F650GS and Adrian prepped his beloved GS1000.

I wondered what kind of welcome I would get at the BMW Party on my KLR, nicknamed “The Toad”. As it turned out I had nothing to worry about. I think half the people there had fond memories of a KLR they had once owned. It seemed there was hope for me yet.

Since Tom’s idea of Roughing-It is to stay at a three-star hotel, our plan was to stay in motels. Our route would take us pretty far from civilization at times so we thought it was wise to carry some basic camp gear. You never know when a breakdown or navigation error might force a night out in the bush. The gear was packed, the bikes were serviced and we were off.

BCBackRoads screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 12:48 AM
BCBackRoads is offline   Reply With Quote