User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-24-2011, 01:57 PM   #1
BMW-K OP
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,263
Woody's 21" vs OEM 19"

So, I won't go into details but I basically destroyed the cast rims on my GS last weekend. I will say I had a BLAST doing it though!

Now I need to replace my rims. The cost of OEM's vs. Woody's is basically the same. I don't do a whole lot of dirt and at 5'8" a 21/18 combo really isn't going to do me favors.

So, I'm going to stick with the 19/17 sizes but with one question: OEM's vs. Woody's.

Alternately stated: Tubes vs. Tubless. 'Cuz the Woody's need a tube on the front, minimum. I'm not big on tubes...but the BLING factor of the Woody's is darn hard to avoid!

One Day I will do the TAT. Not sure if that makes any difference.

Thoughts?

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.

BMW-K screwed with this post 04-30-2011 at 08:19 AM Reason: Request by Woody Himself. And it better defines the thread.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM   #2
bzrider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,614
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW-K View Post
So, I won't go into details but I basically destroyed the cast rims on my GS last weekend. I will say I had a BLAST doing it though!

Now I need to replace my rims. The cost of OEM's vs. Woody's is basically the same. I don't do a whole lot of dirt and at 5'8" a 21/18 combo really isn't going to do me favors.

So, I'm going to stick with the 19/17 sizes but with one question: OEM's vs. Woody's.

Alternately stated: Tubes vs. Tubless. 'Cuz the Woody's need a tube on the front, minimum. I'm not big on tubes...but the BLING factor of the Woody's is darn hard to avoid!

Thoughts?
i just did the same i went with 21 front tubless less than oem, plus oem had to be ordered from germany.ZACH at woodies , answered all my questions and put a rush on building the wheel

bzrider screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 07:11 PM
bzrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:10 PM   #3
Pir8te
over forty victim of fate

Oddometer: 1,448
Woody can build tubeless might want to check with him over in the vendors section
Old 02-24-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
SCflyer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,602
I got a set 19/17 done, superlace - billet hub, excel wheels. Per my conversations with Woody and Zack, they cannot make a 21" wheel tubeless (this the need to order a special built - HP2 front??) but can the 19" and 17" as I have had them do to both mine. Mounted the Tourances, sealed up easy with a bestrest minipump. I had no problems with setting the bead. For the rear they use a 4.00 width rim vs 4.25 as BMW does but it make no difference. Woody said that's the norm and BMW is the oddball on this. If you want to reduce the cost and delivery a bit, call them, as they may have access to a stock set that they can true up or may already have some on their site for sale. If you change your own tires with irons I'd recommend either stay with silver or be sure to use leather or similar when mounting to prevent the scratching. I went with the black (little extra $$ as they have to have these particular wheels colored) to be similar to stock. The can do either a very shiny (spend some time buffing them up) or the standard which is about the same as the OEM black wheels.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:01 PM   #5
OConnor
Bad juju

Oddometer: 3,444
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCflyer View Post
For the rear they use a 4.00 width rim vs 4.25 as BMW does but it make no difference.
4.25" was supermoto standard width before the OEM SM bikes started showing up.
2000 Suzuki SV650 track bike
1971 CB175 vintage racer inabox
OConnor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Schlug
JockeyfullofBourbon

Oddometer: 7,314
You're considering doing the TAT on the 1200 and you don't think you want a 21 up front?
-- It's in their hands. Our message is clear. They're seeing our determination.
Schlug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:43 PM   #7
BMW-K OP
F800GS FTW!

Oddometer: 1,263
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbySands View Post
You're considering doing the TAT on the 1200 and you don't think you want a 21 up front?
No. More like I'm not sure the 21 is necessaray. I've seen several GS's do the TAT on 19/17's.

If it's an absolute necessity, then that changes things. Kinda like the Haul Road - there's no need for a 21 at all. Fact is, if it's dry out you can run the Haul Road on Slicks.

IBA # 20880. STFU and Ride.
BMW-K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
libratrades
libratrades

Oddometer: 91
local set

I had Woody build a set for my 09 GS. Black with his billet hubs, stainless spokes superlaced. I am in Orange County if you want to see what the set looks like. I have the factory spoked wheels as well to run more street oriented tires as well. Just pm me.
libratrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #9
hasenwerk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:

Thoughts?
I think it is all what you are looking for. For the front, if I had to buy new I would go 21" - just because of the better off road abilities and the fact that a 90/90 21" is much cheaper than a 19" front - the old R100 / R80 GS had 21" as does the F800 - so that speaks some merit of the 21" - tubeless can most certainly be done using a R100 rim but they are not nearly as strong as the Excel rim.

The 17" rear is the way to go - I considered the 18" for my 1100 GS and my 30" inseam and the good choice of 17" rubber made me stay with 17"

All that being said I have a Woody's 21" front and an OE 17" rear on my bike - 90/90 21 on the front and 140/80 17 on the rear - tubes on both ends. I am happy with the whole setup!

ADVRIDER Discount: BMW F650 GS & Dakar / G650 GS & Sertao "Adventure Extender" 6L / 1.6gal Auxiliary Fuel Tanks
hasenwerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:28 PM   #10
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Quote:
Originally Posted by libratrades View Post
I had Woody build a set for my 09 GS. Black with his billet hubs, stainless spokes superlaced. I am in Orange County if you want to see what the set looks like. I have the factory spoked wheels as well to run more street oriented tires as well. Just pm me.
I have an 09' too. Have considered a second set from Woody as well. Did you do 21/17 or 19/17? or other?

If you get bored it would be nice to see both sets of your wheels side by side.
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:35 AM   #11
libratrades
libratrades

Oddometer: 91
19/17

I did the 19/17. But probably going to also order the 21 as well. Send me a pm with your email address. I will send you the pictures.
libratrades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #12
mtncrawler
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,079
Thanks LT - Pm'ed ya...
"You think dogs will not be in heaven? I tell you, they will be there long before any of us." Robert Louis Stevenson
mtncrawler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:23 PM   #13
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Wicked

Quote:
No. More like I'm not sure the 21 is necessaray. I've seen several GS's do the TAT on 19/17's.

If it's an absolute necessity, then that changes things. Kinda like the Haul Road - there's no need for a 21 at all. Fact is, if it's dry out you can run the Haul Road on Slicks.
I can confirm that, as I did Haul road on the stock GS rims and Bridgestone 501/502's. Most of the TAT is doable with the big bike too, as long as you keep an eye on the weather. You know the 'pig' likes rolling in deep mud a bit.....
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
LTCOliverNorth
Peeping Tom

Oddometer: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by libratrades View Post
How much was your set of Wheels?
LTCOliverNorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
ROAD DAMAGE
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 932
Cast Wheels

Hey BMW-K

OK, You have to tell us how you thrashed a pair of cast wheels. Were you jumpin the pig? Come on, just a hint, so none of us inmates make the same mistake.

You can find some smokin' deals out there if you're not set on Woodys or new OEM ----- and if you have some time to shop. I bought a pefect set of cast wheels this month for $700, including brake rotors. I saw another pair that went for $450 this month. I missed them by hours. I've got a pal who bought a spoked set for $800 last year.

As far as bling, I'm sending my new (used) cast wheels to Woody to powdercoat them ----- RED. Maybe those red wheels will make my GSA run like a DUCATI! Rob