Smilin' Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:21 AM   #92
Salsa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 341
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulmondor View Post
Whoooow! Touchy! Touchy!

PS:Oh! And one last thing! I have done my service in the army and paid my dues. Many people dislike for good reasons the military machine. Fair enough! They have the right to like or dislike what they want. We are all individuals and God bless their hearts. But, you do not hear me say that the sacrifices we made, and the things we did allow insecure little men and women to overreact to little threats ( If they can be called threats)to their little egos. I never did and I never will. It would be like saying Oil workers pay the bills in this country. What an insult to Canadians overall. Sometimes I wonder if we ended up with the right targets in our crosshairs.
Thank you for your service.

And thanks for setting the record straight. (If the readers can't tell what I mean, telling you won't help!)

Don
Salsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM   #93
JACjac
Vicarious Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Whoooow! Touchy! Touchy!

Like I said! I did want to generalize. Just describing (Some) and have a good laugh. Humour as (Most) of the world knows is the best medicine.. As for the burgers? I meant it. It takes real men and women to have it and these players ate it like candy. It was actually a compliment to the players. Not the burgers. I am reminded how I often hear jokes about French Canadian and how a lot of people in this country dislike the French. I agree, and I am one of them. But on the other hand, I also am intelligent enough to realize that a few bad people can make the numerous great ones look bad. I like these jokes about Frogs. Hell! I have a frog tattooed on my arm!

So If your reaction is any indication, it shows two things.

1) I am pretty accurate in describing what I have seen, and even the locals seem to agree with the "Projected" image.
2) if the hat fits Buddy? wear it! Sorry! if the (Depicted) pickup is parked in your driveway? Drive it
As for you guys paying the bills in this country? Funniest thing; and saddest thing I have ever heard.
But I think you just helped me prove my point.
Thank you!!
But like I always said and I accept it. "An opinion is like an asshole! Everybody got one..
Can you send me your address? I will send you my visa bill so you can pay it.

Cheers and and have a better day Buddy

PS:Oh! And one last thing! I have done my service in the army and paid my dues. Many people dislike for good reasons the military machine. Fair enough! They have the right to like or dislike what they want. We are all individuals and God bless their hearts. But, you do not hear me say that the sacrifices we made, and the things we did allow insecure little men and women to overreact to little threats ( If they can be called threats)to their little egos. I never did and I never will. It would be like saying Oil workers pay the bills in this country. What an insult to Canadians overall. Sometimes I wonder if we ended up with the right targets in our crosshairs.

I think what Rockmuncher1 may have been hinting at is that a lot of Albertastanians somewhat resent the fact that our province, in recent years, has a net transfer OUT of upwards of $9 billion per year to poorer provinces due to equalization but yet the services we have are inferior to those enjoyed in the 'have not' provinces. This issue has been addressed well in recent newspaper articles/opinion pieces.

I'm offering no opinion on the matter here, just trying to maybe explain what he was getting at. For the non-Canucks who might read this, equalization, roughly, is a program whereby $ from richer provinces is redistributed to poorer ones. The idea is that the level of public services remains the same across the country.
JACjac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:53 AM   #94
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,323
Great job once again.

I have to laugh at the comments about the short-dick rig rockets.
I lived in the Peace country for a while and I swear you couldn't buy a diesel truck
without a 6" lift and big muds.
Flatbiller jackasses are everywhere.
GP640 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 08:32 PM   #95
ZZR_Ron
Underground

Oddometer: 8,033
Hey Paul, I'm also surprised that they didn't put 0-40 in your bikes.
I don't thnk the KLR would start in these temperatures without it...

Also, have gained a huge respect for fuel injection, it sure makes a difference in the cold. I fired up the little CBR125 the other day, and
it ran just like it did in the summer!

Keep up the Adventure, some of us are too busy home renovating :(
Old 02-25-2011, 04:37 AM   #96
Spaggy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 796
Quote:
Whoooow! Touchy! Touchy!

Like I said! I did want to generalize. Just describing (Some) and have a good laugh. Humour as (Most) of the world knows is the best medicine.. As for the burgers? I meant it. It takes real men and women to have it and these players ate it like candy. It was actually a compliment to the players. Not the burgers. I am reminded how I often hear jokes about French Canadian and how a lot of people in this country dislike the French. I agree, and I am one of them. But on the other hand, I also am intelligent enough to realize that a few bad people can make the numerous great ones look bad. I like these jokes about Frogs. Hell! I have a frog tattooed on my arm!

So If your reaction is any indication, it shows two things.

1) I am pretty accurate in describing what I have seen, and even the locals seem to agree with the "Projected" image.
2) if the hat fits Buddy? wear it! Sorry! if the (Depicted) pickup is parked in your driveway? Drive it
As for you guys paying the bills in this country? Funniest thing; and saddest thing I have ever heard.
But I think you just helped me prove my point.
Thank you!!
But like I always said and I accept it. "An opinion is like an asshole! Everybody got one..
Can you send me your address? I will send you my visa bill so you can pay it.

Cheers and and have a better day Buddy

First off, thank you for your service. Secondly I apologize for making a political statement on Advrider, doesn't belong here.
Ride safe.
BTW, my pickup is bone stock right down to the air filter.
Spaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 08:39 AM   #97
northern
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
So are you in Fort Smith now?

If so welcome! Looks like a great start to the day at -19 C and going up to -9.

I would love to see the bikes if you are still around.
northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 11:50 AM   #98
Gale B.T.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,477
F
Quote:
irst off, thank you for your service. Secondly I apologize for making a political statement on Advrider, doesn't belong here.
Ride safe.
Congrats Muncher1 that took balls, you are a REAL man ,,my touque is off to you.

gale

sorry Paul, back to that awesome RR

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583

Gale B.T. screwed with this post 02-25-2011 at 12:51 PM
Gale B.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 12:10 PM   #99
Ron from BC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,359
+1

Well done..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gale B.T. View Post
FCongrats Muncher1 that took balls, you are a REAL man ,,my toque is off to you.

gale

sorry Paul, back to that awesome RR

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572583
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #100
northern
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Hummm....... did one of those diesel pickups get you going north of McMurray?
northern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:27 PM   #101
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Oddometer: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockmuncher1 View Post
First off, thank you for your service. Secondly I apologize for making a political statement on Advrider, doesn't belong here.
Ride safe.
Nothing to apologize for my friend We talk, we set things straight and we move on. Still would love to sit around drinks and chat and have fun.. At the end of the day we all are out here to share our passion.
So Rockmuncher1???? No apologies needed. I for one, respect someone who speaks his/her mind and deal with the outcome.

We good!
paulmondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 05:28 PM   #102
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Quote:
Originally Posted by northern View Post
So are you in Fort Smith now?

If so welcome! Looks like a great start to the day at -19 C and going up to -9.

I would love to see the bikes if you are still around.
We are at the Pelican right now. 5:28.
We are on room 211
Old 02-25-2011, 05:29 PM   #103
paulmondor OP
Iceman

I will post tonight. Got some crazy shot to put on.

Cheers
Old 02-25-2011, 06:49 PM   #104
Oznay
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 161
Oznay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 07:57 PM   #105
paulmondor OP
Iceman

Ok! We made it to Fort Smith NWT. But since last post a lot happened. We left Fort Mc Murray yesterday morning at 9:30 AM. We were told that leaving before that would throw us in the worst gridlock in Canada. The road is wild enough without bumper to bumper traffic. The stay in Mac was great. The accommodation was first class at the Sawridge Inn. Thanks to Frank from Alberta Travel North who really took care of us.
The last thing we did in Mac was to go on a flight tour over the oil sands.

Untill you see this, it is impossible to see the magnitude of this site. It defies imagination.
As far as the eyes can see they have marked the eland for exploration. the surface looks like a giant checkered tablecloth.

We flew over a camps that lodges 8000 crews.

this thing is in the middle of nowhere. it is so massive it is hard to describe. The plants themselves, whether it is Suncor or Syncrude are at a scale that can only be seen from the skies.

Like I said we took of from Mac at 9:30 and made it to the beginning of the Ice road. It was so nice to see this stuff again.

The road literally turns into ice and is like this till Fort Chipewyan for over 200 kms.

You go over rivers, marshes and all sort of land types. This road is not thee in summer and it is easy to see why. It goes up and down and around and the tundra like scenery reminds me of my dear Labrador.

The temperature stayed around -25 to -27 most of the day with a blue sky that was mesmerizing.
About an hour into it. I am leading and I do not see Joe or the SV anymore behind me. I wait for a minute and turn around.
There right over a crest I see the SV in my lane and behind the bike. Joe hit a groove and went down. In the process of sliding down the road, the left passenger foot peg hooked up and bent the frame holding it right up. To the point where the peg was right behind his leg touching it. Not good! If he rides like this and falls on the left side again. there is a hell of a good chance that he will get the peg frame to puncture the rear of his leg and in the process hot the femoral artery. Not good! This spooked him out and he slowed right down. Hell! I was worried too.

Later, about an hour and a half later,before Fort Chip, I am in the lead and we are clocking about 50-60 Km/h most of the time. We were just about to come across our first one lane bridge before a river crossing. I see a B train dump truck that we had passed a while ago and that had passed us again when we stopped for pictures. The part of the road at that point is over a swamp/ marsh. I slow down and let the bike come to a stop about 10 feet behind the truck. In my mirror I see Joe coming. I know he is is coming too fast. I was hoping he remembered not to hit the brakes in a hurry. With the trailer's lights covered with snow i guess he did not notice the truck stopped. I had told him that if he finds himself in a spot where he cannot stop to aim for the snow bank. He tried to steer around the truck to pass him or clear it on th driver's side but he could. He hit the trailer at about 20 km/h.
The plastics on the 800's having been at -27 all day were brittle to say the least. "Bang" he stayed up but the bike went down......without everything that use to be a front end.

Beak? Gone!
Fender? Gone!
Headlight? Gone!
Signals? Gone!
Windshield? Gone.
Dash and instruments? Gone!
Body work? Gone.
No need to say Joe was pissed and disappointed. 2500 kms into a 10,000 kms trip and looks like I will be riding the rest alone.
We loaded up the bike in the trailer and Joe rode in the truck till we hot Port Chip. There we had the Park staff loaning us their house for the night. We had to stop at the Warden's office to pick up the key. I stopped in the parking lot and a guy drove in in his truck. I hear "Paul!" I am thinking "Huh? I do not know anyone here"
He is part of a group of riders who trailer their bikes to the beginning of the ice road and rie to Port Chip every year,
Note: I must say that the reason they trailer to the gate is that they have the real long ice studs on the tires which makes the bike unridable on anything else than ice.
accompanied by support ruck and cargo truck to bring materials and goods to the school in Port Chip. Their group is called North of 60. Great bunch. They asked me to join them at the school and if I wanted to put the bikes in the school's wood shop warm for the night and to join them in their potluck.

We ended up spending about an hour there with them. They were also a blessing as we did not have anything to eat. The only food place in town and that we counted on was closed.
I left my bike inside and Joe's in the trailer. When we got home We decided that I would try to fix the bike so he could ride it. In the morning I would ask Steve the shop teacher if i could use his tools to somehow make something so Joe could have a shield. He will not be able to ride on public roads where there is traffic without a light, but at least he will be able to ride the ice roads to Inuvik and Tuk.
In the morning we got up ( Joe was down and out and also stiff an hurt.) and we made it to the shop.
I had two things to do. First I had to figure out a way to hold the screen.
I used a piece of Metal and duct taped it between the mirrors. I cut the shield on the band saw so it could fit and he could also tun the bars without the shield hitting the body work. (What was left of it)
Her is the result. Works like a hot damn. I tested the bike to make sure the forks and bars were not bent and also tested the heated grips. All was fine.

the second thing was to fix the foot peg subframe that was bent. I could not, so we hacked it off with the a grinder. the subframe will have to be replaced anyway

We were told by the North of 60 Riders that the first 55 kms of the ice road to Fort Smith was a narrow and really rough road that was barely a lan and a half wide, and to be careful as meting a truck or car was dangerous. So we decide to put the Support vehicle in front. The north of 60 guys were also riding to Fort Smith, so we would see them on the road.

Holly shit!

Rough That is one understatement. Ruts, rocks, roots, grooves and deep soft snow was just the start. then many humps and lumps and bumps with curves and crap all over. This was by far the roughest road I have done in winter. Judging by how fast the north of 60 guys passed guys it was obvious that their studs were the best. But hey? We are out here to have it tough and tough is what we have.
Then Joe took his first tumble of the day. did not break anything as their is nothing left to break. His back is sore and so is his wrist. I can see he is bagged and that he is pushing it.
Then we come to the first big river crossing. The ice dropped four feet and left the river ice ramp in a pretty steep angle. The X5 goes up and makes it up.
I look for line. take off in second gear for torque an not "wheel breaking HP"
and make it up. Joe comes up in first gear, stats fishtailing and then loses grip. He slides backward down the embankment and down he goes.

There was a guy who drove to the bank to check it out as he has to pull a trailer next week through this road. I talked to him and he says there is no way he will make it up this hill. But he stayed there just in case we needed help. I made it up with Joe's bike. By this time he was bagged and really struggling. remember that he has NEVER done ice riding. He has beeb doing awesome. Most if not all i know would not even dream of doing this. So Hats off to Joe for keep pressing on.

We kept on going and the road got really fraking bad. it had been forty clicks so far and it had taken us close to 3 hours.
We slowly crawled our way towards the end of the 55 kms from hell and after about another half hour I took my fist dump at about 15 km/h. No harm, no damage and was back up in 5 minutes and kept it. Joe told me that watching me falling helped him. Hell! it helped me. I knew I would, I just did not when. You can't ride in stuff like this and not fall. Anyone who says he does not is full of shit.
DO not get me wrong, these guys have been doing this for nine years and it is an awesome cause. But their ride is 400 clicks and that is it. There is not toughing it that way on a 10,000 kms trip covering two provinces and two territories. After we got out of the 55 kms from hell, we were stopped on the side of the road putting the GoPro camera on my bike to film me going 100 km/h on the snow covered iced road to Fort Smith when a big Dodge dually 350 pulls over and asks us if we are OK. it was Ziggie!
At one point i am looking at Joe's in my mirrors and it is obvious he cannot go on anymore. I pulled over, walked to him and told "Joe? Loading time! You stop here. this is too much for you right now and you will only screw up your back even more or hurt yourself. Get off the bike for a couple of days and live to ride more!"
He looked at me and said "You read my mind, I was just about to stop!"
We loaded up the bike and got out of this mess.

We had about 150 something kms to Fort Smith and I gunned it. 100 km/h most of the way.We made it to the Pelican Rapids Inn in Fort Smith NWT, unloaded and ran to the restaurant and ate.. We had not eaten all day..

Tomorrow we are heading to Hay River NWT. ABout 260 kms of ice again.
Right F%%#@ on!!

paulmondor screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 06:12 AM