Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2011, 07:33 PM   #46
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Oddometer: 1,088
I got my Knobbies on and am going riding no matter what old man winter says!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
1Bonehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:18 PM   #47
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by towpro View Post
JaxObsessed, I still need to lay out the Michaux part of the Trans PA Trail. So far our track stops around 50 miles north of Michaux. Spring is coming! I need to start working on this again. (once I get that computer running again).

Do you have any tracks I can use for guidance? TopoUSA data is OK, I also run a PN40.
Will
Hey Will,
I should be able to help. Let me do some digging. I have topo8 on a computer that has a virus..... lovely.. I am going to hook that hd into a USB enclosure to get my stuff off. This may take a while.... Hell, I can promise you that by spring I'll at least have gone back or I could plot the roads for you.
Did you get someone to do Tuscarora? There is some worthwhile gravel over there. I had GPS tracks from there that were lost in a perfect storm....

Quote:
Originally Posted by boothdoc View Post
Man, that looks like a great time. I read this then headed up there Sunday with my son and the jeep. I had never been there before. most of the ice had melted(until last night that is). I can't wait to try it this weekend with the bike!!!!!!!!!!
Go Boothdoc!! Post the photos in here.
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 01:37 PM   #48
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
I was just checking my notes.
Wiggus got us down into Tuscarora and some notes about crossing over to Michaux.
That day shows 127 miles from Greenwood Furnance campground to Pine Grove Furnace. I guess if that takes 4 to 5 hours, they could ride around Michaux for the rest of the day, or ride michaux for the whole next day leaving the camping gear at Pine Grove Furnace

My Topo PC is down also. Backlite went out. I think its the invertor board, just got to get around to looking at it. Its only a $15.00 part but I want to make sure everything is connected before I drop $15.00.
Old 02-24-2011, 02:38 PM   #49
SoPaRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 282
JaxObsessed, towpro and anyone else interested in riding in and around Michaux, I live six miles from Michaux, less than a mile north of U.S. Rt. 30, east of Chambersburg and I-81/Exit 16. I've been riding in Michaux since the early 70's. Due to two blown motors in 2010, I wasn't able to put the finishing touches on what will eventuality be turn by turn directions of every unpaved road in and out of Michaux, both north and south of the "Lincoln Highway". A friend has graciously loaned me his '09 DR650 to ride while my '94/'96 DR350S Hybrid get a new rebuilt 441 bullet installed in the next few weeks, unfortunately we got seven inches of additional snow this week, which will delay my project for a while. When the fire roads do become passable again, please contact me here or over at DAMN Riders and I'll be more than glad to show you every "legal" road to ride in Michaux. The only time you can "legally" ride trails in Michaux is during the Michaux Daul Sport ride in August and the Michaux ECEA Enduro in September!

Jeff (SoPaRider)
'94/'96 DR350S Hybrid
'07 DL650AK7 wee strom
'09 DR650S (loaner)
SoPaRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 03:21 PM   #50
JaxObsessed OP
RushMoran....... :D

Oddometer: 12,717
Very generous Jeff. Thank you. I'm myself on DAMN I am also VERY interested in the 350/441 conversion.
PMs will FLY!

JaxObsessed screwed with this post 02-24-2011 at 04:23 PM
JaxObsessed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #51
Ven Moto
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 177
Hot damn Jeff! That is one mighty fine offer.
Ven Moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:32 PM   #52
Ovoidious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
- this could get D.A.M.N. interesting...
Old 02-26-2011, 06:33 AM   #53
badguy
Susan

Oddometer: 1,677
Good stuff!

I keep forgetting about this thread...now I'm subscribed
badguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:55 AM   #54
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,044
There used to be some excellent dirt bike trails in Michaux back in the 70s @ 80s and a enduro event was held there at least into the early 90s but the tree huggers put an end to all the fun.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 03:32 PM   #55
TowPro
Getting there

Oddometer: 3,014
they still hold that enduro!
http://www.southpennenduroriders.com/
I can't recall it ever not being there since the early 90's when I started riding them.
they also hold a dual sport.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:14 PM   #56
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 2,044
Didn't Know they still ran it, last I rode there was around 92-93 and they wanted all the bikes legal but we knew some of the organizers and got in.At that time you could get the street legal kits and plate almost anything for a couple hundred bucks so we'd just throw an old tag on and run. Them days are over.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #57
Skyclad
Original Bastard

Oddometer: 5,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
Didn't Know they still ran it, last I rode there was around 92-93 and they wanted all the bikes legal but we knew some of the organizers and got in.At that time you could get the street legal kits and plate almost anything for a couple hundred bucks so we'd just throw an old tag on and run. Them days are over.
Actually, it is still pretty easy to get a dirt bike street legal in PA. If it comes with a motorcycle title, then all you have to do is get the lights, horn and tires sorted. After that, it just needs a normal inspection and you are good to go. Hell, I still have the stock (loud) pipe on the KTM and it passed with no problem.

If it has a offroad title, there is a little more paperwork, but still not tough.
Skyclad's Wanderings - Bald Eagle Bastards - The Mountains are Calling, and I Must Go
KCCO
Skyclad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2011, 05:57 PM   #58
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

Well- I made it

This was my second time ever going to Michaux. I started at Rattlesnake run road and drove northward. Last Weekend I did it in my Jeep with my son. This week I went solo on the 950Adv. It was almost clear of ice and snow. (Almost). it was a little tricky in a few spots but the knobbies helped out.
Here are some pics

1Bonehead screwed with this post 02-27-2011 at 06:11 PM
Old 02-27-2011, 06:18 PM   #59
1Bonehead
Fearless of Falling

here's one
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2011, 06:20 PM   #60
1Bonehead