ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2011, 05:23 AM   #61
b00t
errrr, yes uh-huh?

Oddometer: 307
You mean we gotta wait till june to get the digits?! Cant we push that up a little?
Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM   #62
wmfleet2
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 814
updates

Frist i would like to thank you for the time you have put into this,,,has anyone gotten any new update on the route ????????
wmfleet2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 06:15 PM   #63
MarkNC
Just Strom'in Along

Oddometer: 200
Thanks for all your hard work. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
I'm originally from Tazewell co. and know most of the dirt/forest roads in the surrounding counties especially Bland, Giles, and Wythe.
There are loads of trails in the Dismal Creek area that could make for some fun
dual sporting routes. Also the gravel roads in and out of Burkes Garden should not be missed. Let me know if you need further information and thanks again for all the work.

Mark
Old 03-03-2011, 06:50 PM   #64
Platypus-3in1
Fluid Journey

Oddometer: 724

Very Nice ...

Gotta Question For Ya Via ... PM
Platypus-3in1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM   #65
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Oddometer: 1,154
Puke

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkNC View Post
Thanks for all your hard work. Looking forward to seeing the final product.
I'm originally from Tazewell co. and know most of the dirt/forest roads in the surrounding counties especially Bland, Giles, and Wythe.
There are loads of trails in the Dismal Creek area that could make for some fun
dual sporting routes. Also the gravel roads in and out of Burkes Garden should not be missed. Let me know if you need further information and thanks again for all the work.

Mark
Hi Mark -

Thanks for the support. I have the route set up so that it comes into and leaves BG via gravel/dirt. I also have a few roads in the Dismal Hollow area. Here is a close up of that area. Orange are Forest Service Roads, Red are State Roads. Here is the route depicted on this map, let me know what you think:

From Eggleston:

Guinea Mountain Road > Wilburn Valley Rd > FDR 1021 Sugar Run > FDR 201 Dismal Creek > No Business Creek Rd > Wesendonck Rd > SR 606 (through Pumpkin Center) > FDR 640 Hogback Mountain Rd > RT 52 (through Bastian) > FDR 668 Round Mountain > FDR 610 Garden Mountain into BG > Gose Mill Rd > SR 623 (Gravel) out of BG > RT 42 > FDR 206 Walker Mountain over the Walker Mountain Tunnel > FDR 205 Carnot > FDR 1023 Schoolhouse Hollow > and then State Roads through Wytheville and eventually down to MR area and singletrack into Damascus.

error cooled screwed with this post 03-04-2011 at 06:08 AM
error cooled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 10:05 PM   #66
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmfleet2 View Post
Frist i would like to thank you for the time you have put into this,,,has anyone gotten any new update on the route ????????
This is all done, just need to get out and proof it on the ground. All seasonally closed roads should open in April so things can get underway around then.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #67
dhillr
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,588
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
This is all done, just need to get out and proof it on the ground. All seasonally closed roads should open in April so things can get underway around then.
Brilliant work!

Really looking forward to trying this out! I know it's been said a hundred times, but thanks for your hard work!!
dhillr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 06:52 AM   #68
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhillr View Post
Brilliant work!

Really looking forward to trying this out! I know it's been said a hundred times, but thanks for your hard work!!
Gracias. I can't tell you how excited I am for some warm weather and riding time

I am doing some light scouting in May. I will be running the entire western portion (parts that are new to me) between June 17 - 23 with my riding buddy.

I think I will probably distribute the files in early April. You will receive:

Raw GDB File for MapSource - All tracks and POI's. Tracks will be raw, so several thousand points per forest road in some instances. You will need to either parse them down or upgrade your GPS. The new Garmin 62/78 Series can handle 200 tracks at 10,000 points a piece and would be plug and play. I am upgrading to a 78 for this reason.

Google Earth KML - Great for virtual riding and scouting. This is what I use when I post sample shots of the route. Also check out ESRI's ArcGIS Explorer tool (http://www.esri.com/software/arcgis/explorer/index.html) - in some ways more useful than GE becuase you can use different basemaps including 24K Topo USGS quads.

Bonus KML of all GW & Jefferson Forest Roads - I put this together to help plan. A pretty cool thing to have - has all formal names and route numbers and is color coded for seasonally opened roads.

IF YOU ARE A LOCAL WITH DEEP KNOWLEDGE OF THE AREAS IN THIS ROUTE......

I would appreciate your help in preliminary review of the route. Shoot me a PM or post here letting me know where you are from, what you ride and where you are familiar with. I will send you over some information to review if you are interested.
Old 03-04-2011, 07:05 AM   #69
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 890
Quote:
Originally Posted by error cooled View Post
you can use different basemaps including 24K Topo USGS quads.
Also try this. Zoom in and click on My Topo on the upper right.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:19 AM   #70
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardU View Post
Also try this. Zoom in and click on My Topo on the upper right.
This is an excellent tool, thank you for sharing.

It handles data files nicely.
Old 03-05-2011, 05:56 AM   #71
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
I'm a little late to this thread but excellent idea and good work! I looked a little for any connectivity to old dirt roads I used to ride enduros on in the 70s outside Covington VA centered around Jingling Rocks Road that ran up and along Peters Mountain. Not sure about it but thought I'd offer up that area just in case. Haven't ridden up there in a while but it was pretty awesome in the day. Used mostly for logging now I believe but it's public.
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 07:40 PM   #72
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnymoto View Post
I'm a little late to this thread but excellent idea and good work! I looked a little for any connectivity to old dirt roads I used to ride enduros on in the 70s outside Covington VA centered around Jingling Rocks Road that ran up and along Peters Mountain. Not sure about it but thought I'd offer up that area just in case. Haven't ridden up there in a while but it was pretty awesome in the day. Used mostly for logging now I believe but it's public.
Here is a snapshot of the route around Covington. The placemarker is Jingling Rocks Road. Some of the roads on the screen shot include: FDR 125 Dolly Ann, FDR184 Patterson Creek, FDR181 Fenwick Mines, FDR180 Lignite Mines, FDR179 Bald Mountain, FDR 176 Sweet Springs, Potts Mountain East 177.1 (This is NOT Pott's Mountain Jeep Road), FDR 267 Tubb Run. Any of those ring a bell?

Old 03-06-2011, 04:54 AM   #73
donnymoto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,257
Oh yea the Rich Patch area is good. I don't recall everything over there but there was a combination of narrow pavement and gravel. Sweet Springs is probably what I remember only as was Sweet Rd; great riding. Potts Mt, yes there's good riding over there too and I think I know the track you've got. I lived off Potts Creek Rd which is paved but a good base for tons of other fun roads. I didn't have a license so when I rode that area I stayed on as many backroads as possible.
donnymoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 06:52 AM   #74
error cooled OP
anything but asphalt

BRT Preview:

If you would like to preview the route post a request here and I will PM you a link to an overview the route. I welcome any and all feedback. It is a web-based Map viewer that looks like my previous screen shots.

- David
Old 03-07-2011, 07:35 AM   #75
bwalsh
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,660
Let me check it out! Please.

bwalsh is offline   Reply With Quote