User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-2011, 03:45 PM   #31
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Thanks!

Ahhhhhhhh it looks like #3 / #5 is the tip-over valve & vent line and that we should be able to "recreate" a Euro-equal bike by just dumping everything after the tip-over valve and running a small vent line down low on the bike somewhere!

Many thanks!
JRWooden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM   #32
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,639
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
Thanks!

Ahhhhhhhh it looks like #3 / #5 is the tip-over valve & vent line and that we should be able to "recreate" a Euro-equal bike by just dumping everything after the tip-over valve and running a small vent line down low on the bike somewhere!

Many thanks!
Or.... Since it serve as inflow to the tank......replacing air created by the vacuum.... you might wanna consider a filter......This is what I did...

Erling
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 09:11 AM   #33
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Or.... Since it serve as inflow to the tank......replacing air created by the vacuum.... you might wanna consider a filter......This is what I did...

Erling
Looks like you used the same filter I did. I can tell you that I'm glad I did. After about 8,000 miles, the filter is coated in dust. I'm actually going to clean it this weekend.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 10:46 AM   #34
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by YetiGS View Post
Looks like you used the same filter I did. I can tell you that I'm glad I did. After about 8,000 miles, the filter is coated in dust. I'm actually going to clean it this weekend.
Nice......... Yep... It could make a mess if you don`t mount a filter.....Since the CC act as a filter...without one...You would get a lot of gunk in the tank....FI pump...injectors...etc....

Erling
Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #35
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
Nice......... Yep... It could make a mess if you don`t mount a filter.....Since the CC act as a filter...without one...You would get a lot of gunk in the tank....FI pump...injectors...etc....

Erling
Don't most motorcycle tanks vent to atmosphere? Does the Euro version connect to the airbox?

David
Mountains, Moose, and Miles: a Montanan's Alcan Highway Story
Continental Divide and More: the "No Dust" Tour of WY and MT
MTrider16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:42 AM   #36
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Oddometer: 3,785
What model # is that Uni USA filter?

Where did you get it?

How much?
The Griz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:44 AM   #37
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16
Don't most motorcycle tanks vent to atmosphere? Does the Euro version connect to the airbox?

David
Yes. However, the BMW also sucks air back into the tank. I have no idea if other bikes do that too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post

Where did you get it?

How much?
No idea what model number. I just went to my local dirt bike shop and they had a bunch of them on the wall. I chose the one that fit the vent hose.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
Old 03-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #38
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Griz View Post

Where did you get it?

How much?
Mine is from Autozone..... O`reily has them as well...... Spectra is the brand...
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...uestid=2618784

Erling
Old 03-04-2011, 12:03 PM   #39
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTrider16 View Post

David
Yes, historically, the gas tank pressure relief opening on motorcycle gas tanks vents out to the atmosphere via a hose. However, refer to post #17 for an explanation as to why the US EPA has nixed the "out-straight-to-the-atmosphere" design: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...4&postcount=17

It is important to understand here that the F800GS gas tank design, as far as venting out and sucking in goes, is no different than any other motorcycle (on a BASIC level, so no need for brainiacs here). The F800GS tank vents out and sucks in when necessary, just like a 1987 KLR650 gas tank vents out and sucks in when necessary. Regardless of whether we're talking about a carbeurated 1987 KLR650 or fuel injected 2011 F800GS, both of these bikes vent out when pressure becomes too high inside the tank. They both also suck air in to replace the fuel that gets used by the carbs and engine. It's a back and forth suck/blow () scenario, and which one the tank does depends completely on many factors: atmospheric pressure, temperature, humidity, and how much the fuel level in the tank is dropping.

PS...I personally do not subscribe to the belief that +/- 5 PSI could actually expand and contract the red THICK inner bladder on this bike enough to crack the tank's outer, much more pliable black shell. It's just not enough force. And besides, I was able to inspect the first cracked tank that was taken off of my bike at the dealer. The outer black plastic shell is pliable enough to be able to withstand a decent amount of flex. Also, it would take a lot more than 5 PSI to expand and contract the thick red inner bladder enough in order to inflict enough pressure or force on the outer shell to crack it. It's just not possible. I had the tank in my hands and thoroughly inspected it.

Outer black plastic cosmetic shell: Thin, pliable, soft plastic.

Inner red gasoline bladder: Very thick, very stiff, hard plastic.... as in not expandable.
Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 PM   #40
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

I'm not thinking about the environmental impacts of this modification.

What I was thinking, was the need for filters or hose routing. It seems like most bikes don't use anything very fancy.

Just thinking things through so I don't miss someting.

The F8GS does have fuel pumps and FI so clean fuel is important I guess.

David
Old 03-04-2011, 08:29 PM   #41
soyanarchisto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,314
So I am a little confused. Is there any reason to remove it if you arent having any issues? Sure, I'd like to free up some space and weight but if it does no harm remaining intact and also does some environmental good--why remove it?
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #42
MTrider16
Ridin' in MT

I can't speak for the rest here. But I've had problems with it. So its comming off.

David
Old 03-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #43
ebrabaek
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by soyanarchisto View Post
So I am a little confused. Is there any reason to remove it if you arent having any issues? Sure, I'd like to free up some space and weight but if it does no harm remaining intact and also does some environmental good--why remove it?
I removed mine in a middle of a down pour on a 1500 mile round trip to Wichita,KS.....after the bike stalled every few miles..... I had enough... This was before the recall. Other thing....for me was after a few CC saturation with fuel vapors.... When the purge valve opened... The engine ran rough from the rich fumes... It did not last long though..... Purge valve closed...and bike ran normal..... Enough for me to ditch it.... If you have not had any symptoms.... leave it in....Until you have..... Just be ready for it....

Erling
Old 03-05-2011, 06:42 AM   #44
The Griz
North Forest Rider

Quote:
No confusion necessary. The factual answer is no. If it's not giving you any problems, there is absolutely no reason that you have to remove it. As a big plus, you'll be doing the planet some good!
Old 03-05-2011, 07:27 AM   #45
YetiGS OP
No Talent Ass Clown

Quote:
As others have said, if YOU are having no problems, don't remove it.

My first tank cracked and I didn't want to have any stalling issues so I got rid of mine.