User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 06:59 PM   #16
Cumbacheech
XRated

Oddometer: 823
Spud,

Like I said before great job and thanks for sharing. I was just wondering if there would be any issue by having the battery laying on its back instead of standing up and down... Have you looked into that? and Do you know if a trickle charger can be used for when the bike is in storage mode?

Cheers,

Cumbacheech

Pics: Adventure setup, SUMO setup, Dirt setup
Cumbacheech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #17
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spud Rider View Post
Upon further reflection, I like your idea more, and more, Chad. Do you have a particular velcro product in mind? Since the Shorai battery only weighs 1.2 pounds, a battery strap might not be necessary. If you can recommend a particular product, I might experiment with it.

Spud
Spud. I made a head light shield. I went to wally world with a craft section. They have about 3 or 4 different type to choose from. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:45 PM   #18
mrazekan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Spud,

...I was just wondering if there would be any issue by having the battery laying on its back instead of standing up and down... Have you looked into that? ...
It's been answered before but just to be clear:
These batteries are LiFeP04 electrode based. They are lithium ion batteries. This is why they weigh so much less and are so small. What makes them different is that they have a very specific type of electrode. So unless you feel like you need to keep your cellphone upright, you'll be fine.
Old 03-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #19
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,703
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumbacheech View Post
Spud,

Like I said before great job and thanks for sharing. I was just wondering if there would be any issue by having the battery laying on its back instead of standing up and down... Have you looked into that? and Do you know if a trickle charger can be used for when the bike is in storage mode?

Cheers,

Cumbacheech
You're welcome, CC. Here's a quote from the FAQ page at the Shorai webite.

Q. Can Shorai LFX be mounted in any position?

A.Yes. There are no liquids in the LFX batteries.

The FAQ page also addresses the use of battery chargers, and battery tenders.

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx

Indeed, the Shorai website contains a lot of great information regarding Shorai batteries.

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Spud Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:24 PM   #20
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben99r1 View Post
Spud. I made a head light shield. I went to wally world with a craft section. They have about 3 or 4 different type to choose from. Ben
Thank you, Ben. I went to Office Max today, and bought some Scotch Multi-Purpose Fasteners; however, this velcro product is barely adequate for holding down the Shorai battery. Therefore, I don't recommend it. Tomorrow I will visit Wally World and examine their wares. However, I think the solution for securely fastening the Shorai battery is going to be the 3M, Scotch, Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners.

http://www.fastenation.com/category....FQgHbAodhEBA_w

Spud
2005 XR650L: Shorai Battery Relocation, Spud Oil Cooler, XR650R C/S Sprocket, Reinforced Subframe, Chain Slipper Roller, Performance Design Lowering Link, Baja Designs Headlight, FMF Hi-Flo Header, ManRacks SD Rack, ManRacks Front Fender Farkle, CST Surge I Front Tire, D952 Rear Tire, Tusk D-Flex Handguards, Uni Air Filter, No-Toil Evolution air filter oil
Old 03-07-2011, 09:32 PM   #21
Chad M
Custom User Title

Oddometer: 762
Quote:
Sorry Spud, I don't know which particular product you should use, I do know there are some very coarse velcro styles that would suit your purpose very well. I'm certain you can buy sheets that you can trim to fit the battery.

Cheers.
Chad M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 09:39 PM   #22
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad M View Post
Sorry Spud, I don't know which particular product you should use, I do know there are some very coarse velcro styles that would suit your purpose very well. I'm certain you can buy sheets that you can trim to fit the battery.

Cheers.
Thanks for the reply, Chad. I have used the 3M, Scotch, Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners before; they hold a lot of weight, so I am sure they will securely fasten the Shorai battery to the top of the air box.

However, I am certainly willing to experiment with some of the very coarse velcro styles you mentioned. Can you recommend a place where I can buy some of this velcro?

Spud
Old 03-08-2011, 11:28 AM   #23
Ben99r1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,994
Quote:
Thanks for the reply, Chad. I have used the 3M, Scotch, Dual Lock Reclosable Fasteners before; they hold a lot of weight, so I am sure they will securely fasten the Shorai battery to the top of the air box.

However, I am certainly willing to experiment with some of the very coarse velcro styles you mentioned. Can you recommend a place where I can buy some of this velcro?

Spud
The one I got from wally world is a heavy duty velcro. I need a credit card or screw driver to pry it apart. I also use it to hold my HID ballest to the frame of the bike. Ben
Ben99r1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 PM   #24
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
The one I got from wally world is a heavy duty velcro. I need a credit card or screw driver to pry it apart. I also use it to hold my HID ballest to the frame of the bike. Ben
Today I went shopping for velcro. I bought some "Industrial Strength" Velcro at the fabric shop, and some Scotch Heavy Duty Fasteners at Staples. However, when I returned home to remove my battery, and apply the new velcro, I discovered the battery was very firmly attached. The 3" x 2" piece of Scotch Multi-Purpose Fastener I applied to the battery is doing an excellent job, so I am leaving it alone! I am confident the battery will not shift position using the present "velcro."

Someone on another forum requested photographs showing the location of my repositioned starter relay, and fuse box; therefore, I will post those photographs here, as well.

Here's a top view from the left side of the bike, showing how the right side plastic covers the starter relay.

Finally, here's a view from the right side of the bike, showing how the saddle overlaps the right side cover, protecting the starter relay from moisture.

To better protect the fuse box from moisture, I have decided to extend the wiring, and move the fuse box under the saddle. Other than this final modification, I consider my Shorai battery relocation to be complete.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 08:26 PM
Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 PM   #25
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawidad View Post
Nice.
Thank you, Kawidad.

Spud
Old 03-09-2011, 09:59 AM   #26
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,360
Quote:
...I discovered the battery was very firmly attached... ...the location of my repositioned starter relay, and fuse box; ...
Super, Spud I'm loving your mod from a distance; it's so well thought out and documented. So in practice, how does it feel in terms of handling the bike???

I see what I might consider a slight drawback to the fuseholder location. If a fuse blows out on a ride, will it be necessary to have tools along to access it for a change?

I think extending the wiring to it is an invitation to later problems. But not absolutely so. I'd reconsider.

The problem I've had with velcro fastening isn't the velcro itself, but rather the adhesive holding the velcro to the opposing surfaces. While it's great new, it doesn't take a lot of time, especially with heat and damp cycles, to cause it to dry out and let go. So you're left in the breeze, so to speak, with the two velcro halves still solidly attached to each other
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 12:01 PM   #27
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Super, Spud I'm loving your mod from a distance; it's so well thought out and documented. So in practice, how does it feel in terms of handling the bike??? ...
Thank you, OnO. The bike handles great without the 10+ pounds hanging high, and rearward on the left side of the bike. After completing the battery relocation, the first think I noticed was the bike was much easier to push around.
Quote:
...I see what I might consider a slight drawback to the fuseholder location. If a fuse blows out on a ride, will it be necessary to have tools along to access it for a change?...
Yes, your are correct. I need to remove the right side cover to access the fuse box in its current location. Therefore, I need to carry a 10mm socket to remove the bolt on the right side cover. However, the CDI unit is easily accessible, without tools, inside the airbox.
Quote:
...I think extending the wiring to it is an invitation to later problems. But not absolutely so. I'd reconsider...
My good friend Andy has been a professional diesel mechanic for 30+ years; he warned me my fuse box is currently vulnerable to moisture. Andy suggested two options: seal the fuse box to prevent moisture from entering it; or relocate the fuse box under the saddle. I respect his opinion, so I am carefully considering his advice. If the fuse box were placed inside a nice, small electrical box, it could be routed a few inches farther under the fender, and attached to either the frame, or the back of the air box. The fuse box would then be protected from moisture, and it might become more accessible from that location.
Quote:
...The problem I've had with velcro fastening isn't the velcro itself, but rather the adhesive holding the velcro to the opposing surfaces. While it's great new, it doesn't take a lot of time, especially with heat and damp cycles, to cause it to dry out and let go. So you're left in the breeze, so to speak, with the two velcro halves still solidly attached to each other
Thank you for warning. I will tug on the battery, and test the integrity of the velcro every time I remove the seat cover. The velcro is inexpensive, so I can easily replace it every year as part of my preventive maintenance. As another option, I can simply zip tie the battery to the top of the airbox. Movement of the Shorai battery is further restricted by the airbox supports on each side of the frame, the forward wall of the air box intake hole, the wiring in front of the battery, and the battery connectors themselves.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-09-2011 at 08:20 PM
Old 03-13-2011, 06:45 PM   #28
r3r3r
Wildebeast

Oddometer: 544
Great thread. Good documentation, Thanks!
r3r3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:52 PM   #29
TourPros
Local wherever I go

Oddometer: 2,043
Cool

Me likey likey
TourPros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #30
Spud Rider OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3r3r View Post
Great thread. Good documentation, Thanks!
You're welcome. I have now ridden about 500 miles since I performed my Shorai battery relocation. I am pleased to report the Shorai battery cranks the engine well, and starts my XR650L effortlessly. I am now awaiting arrival of my XR600R, left side cover to complete the job.

Spud

Spud Rider screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 08:01 PM