ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-05-2011, 06:41 PM   #1
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Oddometer: 816
Route info Tn/Ky/Wv/V

In a few months I plan on taking a 7 day KLR tour starting in the Robbinsville NC area, heading through Tennessee, Kentucky (Daniel Boone national Forest), West Virginia/Virginia (Jefferson and George Washington National Forest), entering back into Tennessee around Johnson City and end up back in the Robbinsville NC.
I don't need a lot of information on Western NC as I've taken many trips to this area and will only be taking some of my favorite roads on my return trip back.
I have some pretty good options mapped out right now but I want to make sure I don't miss any must see areas...like the Nada tunnel in Kentucky.
Any information from locals would be appreciated. I'd like info on everything from goat trails to asphalt twisties. Whatever I throw out on this trip might be revisited next time on either my KTM 450 EXC or V Strom next time.

Thanks,
Bert

One of m any past rides in Western NC
http://forum.dixiedualsport.com/post?id=2130245

EbarDP48 > Smoky Mountain High I photo

Once you've gone adventure, you can never go back.
============================
09 KTM 530, 07 KTM 300 XC, 07 Triumph Tiger,1967 Honda P50, 2001 Honda XR70,
EbarDP48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 05:07 AM   #2
pnoman
Just Average

Oddometer: 2,042
Still a work in progress: www.RidingWV.com

I just started the website at Christmas and am adding reports & photos as time allows. Some pages are still rather empty, but check back. Check out the "Links" page - I hope some of the links may be of interest to you for planning.

Hope you have a safe/fun ride.
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-06-2011 at 05:51 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48 View Post
Any information from locals would be appreciated. I'd like info on everything from goat trails to asphalt twisties.
Probably not the information you are looking for, but just a quick caution:

A lot of snow this year in WV. Even a few months from now, there will still likely be a lot slag gravel on the back roads, especially in the corners so be prepared for that.

Also an observation (from an expatriate Michigander) - the local cagers don't have a lot of regard for lane restrictions, so when you are approaching blind corners, it would serve you to be prepared for an oncoming vehicle being 1/2 way to completely in your lane....

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Thanks for the advice guys. My ride will probably be in done on one of the following holiday dates... Labor Day, 4th of July, or Memorial Day. Work will ultimately determine which holiday it will be.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:02 PM   #5
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

Just thought I'd bump this once for a review.

Old 02-08-2011, 02:56 PM   #6
machinebuilder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,066
Without knowing more details on your route, its hard to give specific ideas.

The question "where should I ride in ETN?" has been beaten to death every couple weeks here.

from robbinsville, NC to Jellico, TN area

I would reccomend

Cherohala (or fr81 etc for dirt)
360 to Vonore,
72 to Kingston,
work my way on some backroads to Oliver Springs
take 62 to wartburg
take 27N to Oneida

there are some really interesting backroads but it's hard to explain in words, and I don't know where you want to go.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #7
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
Probably not the information you are looking for, but just a quick caution:

A lot of snow this year in WV. Even a few months from now, there will still likely be a lot slag gravel on the back roads, especially in the corners so be prepared for that.

Also an observation (from an expatriate Michigander) - the local cagers don't have a lot of regard for lane restrictions, so when you are approaching blind corners, it would serve you to be prepared for an oncoming vehicle being 1/2 way to completely in your lane....
It should be known that all the road rulz and laws other states have (speed limits, no passing double yellow, stop and yield signs) are just suggestions in WV. At the most they might be considered recommendations.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 06:59 AM   #8
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
It should be known that all the road rulz and laws other states have (speed limits, no passing double yellow, stop and yield signs) are just suggestions in WV. At the most they might be considered recommendations.
Or so it would seem. The OTHER guys seem to get away with all this stuff, but try it yourself and you'll likely see blue lights in your mirrors. Lots of small towns (read: Summersville ) supplement their annual budgets with $$$ from tickets. I talked to a guy in Parsons last summer waiting at the Go-Mart while his Ducati buddy appeared in court to pay a ticket - going 35MPH coming into town in a 25 MPH zone.

I'm 53, and after a clean record, I got stopped last week doing 43 in a 35 (in my minivan ) while taking my parents out for lunch. We were talking about where to eat, and I had a "stupid moment" not watching the speed. The Deputy was very professional and courteous - let me go with a warning. This time.

Bottom line - the other guys may seem to be getting away with it, but you're taking a chance if you break the law yourself.

My 2 cents. Ride safe!
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 08:26 AM
Old 02-09-2011, 08:25 AM   #9
Beemer Bob
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnoman View Post
Or so it would seem. The OTHER guys seem to get away with all this stuff, but try it yourself and you'll likely see blue lights in your mirrors. Lots of small towns (Summersville ) supplement their annual budgets with $$$ from tickets. I talked to a guy in Parsons last summer waiting at the Go-Mart while his buddy appeared in court to pay a ticket - going 35MPH coming into town in a 25 MPH zone.

I'm 53, and after a clean record, I got stopped last week doing 43 in a 35 (in my minivan ) while taking my parents out for lunch. We were talking about where to eat, and I had a "stupid moment" not watching the speed. The Deputy was very professional and courteous - let me go with a warning. This time.

Bottom line - the other guys may seem to be getting away with it, but you're taking a chance if you break the law yourself.

My 2 cents. Ride safe!
Summersville is pretty goofy. RT 19 (4 lane divided) is 50MPH, all the secondary highways (2 lane) in and out are posted 55MPH. We only cross 19 to get somewhere good.

"Often wrong but NEVER in doubt"!
Beemer Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:03 AM   #10
EbarDP48 OP
Got Adventure?

We'll make sure we pay attention to our speed. remember...we'll be on KLRs
How fast can we go.

Funny story, a buddy of mind that will be riding on this trip had a wonerful experiece in Monticello Georgia.
The Bad...I'll just say that the local Police feel you cannot come to a stop without putting your feet down on a bike.
The Good...You are allowed to pay the fine so as not to have to travel 500 miles back to defend yourself.

I can only assume that the Judge is the brother-in-law to Barney.

Bert

Old 02-09-2011, 01:03 PM   #11
pnoman
Just Average

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbarDP48 View Post
I can only assume that the Judge is the brother-in-law to Barney.
And to which Barney are you referring?

There's only one that is from WV (that I know of, at least)

www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-09-2011 at 03:01 PM
Old 02-10-2011, 05:58 AM   #12
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemer Bob View Post
LOL. That helps explain the billboards with the 'RED' traffic signals and the admonishment that "RED means STOP"

Every state I've ever traveled in has challenges, especially when traveling by motorcycle. No substitute for SIPDE, no matter where you ride. Ever.

OP, the KLR has the means to travel fast enough to get you into trouble. The 21" front tire doesn't have a big footprint, and cooking through the twisties on many of the downhill grades you'll encounter in WV can put you in a situation where you will be hard pressed not to push wide into the opposing lane on tight curves - an issue exacerbated by the likelyhood of loose gravel being present on the roadway.

Also, from prior experience, make sure your riding partners all agree not to ride too tight, or the lead bike may be at risk of getting run-over while the following rider is gawking at the extreme beauty and scenic vistas that await you in the Mountain State.

Wolf

Some Mook screwed with this post 02-10-2011 at 06:32 AM
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 06:17 AM   #13
ToadMama
ToadMama

Oddometer: 11
The WV Piece

You'll have lots of options in WV for awesome roads. US 219 goes N/S pretty much through the entire state. WV 20 from Princeton in the South to Buckhannon in the middle is a bit narrower than US 219, but both are fabulous roads. US 219 gets a bit busier. Once you hit Buckhannon, US 33/WV 55 east to Seneca Rocks. Then stick with WV-55 north and east. It'll take you back to the GWNF via Trout Run Road in Wardensville. At Moorefield, you have to be careful to stay on "old" 55. New 55, the Corridor H road, is like a superhighway, but without traffic. Old 55 from Moorefield to Wardensville is one of my absolute favorite little stretches of hilly, twisty, smooth asphalt. Stay alert for gravel in spots. Other than that, you'll be in rider Heaven!

Feel free to peruse my blog or web site for routes, pics, etc. Have a safe trip!
Web Home: http://www.appalachiantours.com/
ToadMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 09:18 AM   #14
dirtyhillbilly
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Va/ky

If you can swing up into these parts I would recommend checking out the Breaks Interstate Park on the KY/VA border. "The grand canyon of the East" a lot of FS roads and back roads in around here and pretty low LEO activities if any out side of the very small towns in the area.
dirtyhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote