User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 10:24 AM   #1
riceless950 OP
Let's Ride!

Oddometer: 3,231
Cool2 The Desert Loop of Attrition

Saturday I wired the Mighty Beta to power my GPS and spooned on some fresh meats. My plan was to join a group of riders that were spending the weekend out on Means Dry Lake, 30 something miles from the Ranch w/o Rice.

Sunday morning when I poked the button to start my ride, nothing happened. Jabbing the kickstarter she fired instantly.

Convinced that yesterdays wiring job was the cause, I tore into the wiring harness to investigate. After about an hour of examining the psychedelic rat's nest, without success, I put a wrench on the battery ground strap, gave the bolt about a sixteenth of a turn, thumbed the button and she fired right up.

As always it took longer to put everything back together, but I was finally on my way to join the ADV/Ridersonline campers. Running late, the route to the lakebed had way more pavement than originaly intended, but was still about 75% dirt.

Soon after arriving a group of eleven was assembled for a loop.

I had never ridden with any of these guys. Leading us was Jim, the father of at least one of the 4 or 5 young guys in the group. We went to a dune and the youngsters put on a show for the ol' farts.

Jim asked if I knew of any fun trails in the area so at that point I gladly took over the dust free position. and the group of now 9 riders headed to some "fun trails".

Every time we stopped to regroup the youngsters thanked me for showing them these "awesome trails"!

There were four 2-strokes in the mix. This white...200? was my favorite.

These guys were good riders but there were a few...incidents. It's hard to get a picture of a young, strong guy on a lightweight bike, on the ground because they can pick it up so quick.

Jim was now riding sweep

and everytime I turned around these guys were right on my tail. Good job Jim.

Johnson Valley has a few rocks.

And everybody was lovin' it!

At this point I noticed a couple of guys had worked their way to the front of the pack. Mild mannered and gloveless Brian (CR250) and UEA racer Lil' John (SX250). Both on 2-stroke motocrossers.

At about the halfway point of our loop we dropped down on to Emerson lakebed. Flat dirt doesn't really do anything for me but it was the fastest way to get to the next mountain.

Without checking my mirror, I bombed across it and onto a truck racing road for about five minutes until noticing I was solo! Lil' John soon motored up on the undergeared MXer and said he too was alone. After a couple minutes we headed back to Emerson to see what was up.

Hmmm?

Well Jim's son had seized his 300cc 2-stroke and was rigging a tow.

He said that he would deal with the rescue and the rest of should continue the ride. So at that point we split up with Brian and Lil' John going with me and the rest with dead KTM.

This next section of trail is very remote and technical.

And quite picturesque.

It includes a section used by the Checkers MC for races dating back to 1982.

This is another fun trail that comes into the canyon. Probably a downhill only trail.....probably.

So that's it for pictures. From there we made a beeline back to camp as the sun inched towards the horizon. We passed Jim and the tow caravan and got a thumbs up without stopping to chat.
It was great meeting everyone. Fun ride. Thanks . I hope we can do it again soon.

riceless950 screwed with this post 03-07-2011 at 12:43 PM
riceless950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #2
Earl999
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 903
Awesome pix!

The white KTM is a 300, it looked great!

My buddy "Little Joe" was riding the KTM 250 smoker with the black helmet.

That group rides well and we had a great time on the loop I rode Sat AM, definitely need to ride there more! Checkers, Invaders, Desert Diggers, etc brings back a lot of great memories! I have a bunch of finisher pins from "back in the day."

I have a large order in with Rocky Mtn to freshen my WR250 up for another 4 years of punishment!
CR250R
Earl999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:22 AM   #3
Jeff aka BOLT
Prefer Saturdays

Oddometer: 1,224
Brent thanks again for leading one of our rides this weekend. Looks like that may have been the best one. Sorry I missed it.

Great ride report too. You are welcome any time. Maybe we'll get to do some campfire racing next time !

Jeff aka BOLT

Guests are encouraged.
Jeff aka BOLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Looks like a fantastic ride, makes me want to fly out and chase you around

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:02 PM   #5
pumpkingpr
Fat Guy

Oddometer: 1
Great ride for sure Brent. Glad I got to meet you, Earl, and Joe. The boys and I would love to ride with you guys again.
pumpkingpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #6
steve_k
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,061
Great pix!
steve_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:53 PM   #7
pcvance
Walk Verplank

Oddometer: 5,400
Nice RR Brent, bummed I had to drop out early.... It was good to meet you, see ya next time! Perry
Old 03-09-2011, 10:15 PM   #8
Osadabwa
Don't be Surprised

Oddometer: 198
Rock and roll

That looks like a blast!
I used to have a link to my African rides in my signature line, but every time I check it doesn't work. So, if you want to see Kilimanjaro, the Kilombero Valley, a bunch of short trips around Dar and another long one to Mozambique: go to my profile.
Osadabwa is offline   Reply With Quote