Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,592
Wicked Leo Vince Evo II LV One slip on Pipe review.....

I know there is already a thread going here with the news.... But I will go a little deeper in a full review, and did not wan`t to hijack the other thread.
That said....after chasing the UPS guy.....again.... He must think I`m crazy.... Thank goodness he`s a rider himself.... So he knew how it goes...... Just so every one knows.... I had the oval "old" style which now sits on a fellow 8GS rider`s bike. So a lot of comparison is with the old oval style.
Box came.....

.....Thanks goodness for Leo Vince packing this piece so you could drop it from fifth floor. Unwrapped it.....and noted the same kind of mid pipe as the oval. The mid pipe to header fit was awesome.....and mid pipe to pipe great as well. When I tried to install the big 30mm spacer.....I did not like the way it torqued the set up. No matter what I did turning the mid pipe....and pipe......No go for me. This was not the case with the oval one. A note here.... I remember that in the interest of making the oval fit with aftermarket luggage.....LV went out of their way to come up with spacers...etc.... So perhaps the issue here is to try to remedy this.... It really was not an issue with me.... I have put on so many systems on bikes...... Truthfully.... This was nothing as compared to other surgery`s I had to perform...

Anyway..... I have to be close to a Carbon Fiber source........ and had this little piece cut......

LV 30mm spacer....

Next to the one it replaced.....

New shorter SS bolt on the left.....

Perfect match......

I really like the new style end cap......with one exception..... It`s made of plastic. Any time any one is mentioning a fancy material ending in ` tec..... It has my attention. And this is just taste.....Nothing else..... Plastic don`t belong on a CF pipe..... I am most certain that I will make a print of the end cap in CF....soon.... That said.... I think the new look with the tapered mid pipe to pipe looks awesome..... the squared top and bottom.......awesome.... end cap shape....Killer. Would I buy it again with the [plastic end cap.....absolutely. It looks fantastic. And..... does match the other plastic on the bike. I have just ridden around the neighborhood..... and cant comment....yet... On the performance....but I expect it to be on par with their oval system. The CF sleeve is 30mm shorter than the oval.... But the end cap seems a little longer..... In the next day or so.... My friend will come over with his 8GS, that has my old oval on it.... And we will measure SAE sound results with and without the potato in. I will also measure the comparable dimensions.... Initially though..... I like the sound at idle a bit better..... It seems to have a little more deeper tone ( lower frequency) But I will con firm that when he arrives, so we can compare.... Along with that....I will post a few Videos as well......

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 06:21 PM Reason: clean up...
ebrabaek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 05:22 PM   #2
EnderTheX
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,710
Sweet! You even get to use a part of one of your rack mounts (I believe), awesome!

Yeah... with my Akropovic exhaust system it is titanium with a carbon end cap. I took out the plug after my first trip and haven't looked back. I love the deep ruble these pipes produce.

There is no way you can keep that plastic on there! I know you will be making a carbon piece! In fact I would be you have already started
EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX View Post
Sweet! You even get to use a part of one of your rack mounts (I believe), awesome!

Yeah... with my Akropovic exhaust system it is titanium with a carbon end cap. I took out the plug after my first trip and haven't looked back. I love the deep ruble these pipes produce.

There is no way you can keep that plastic on there! I know you will be making a carbon piece! In fact I would be you have already started
Yeppers....... I leaned early that keeping excess pieces ....rather than throwing them out..... Yeppers.... That is from the box latches.....
I will call LV in the next few days, and see if I can pilfer a plastic end cap......So I can work a mold.... There might be others who want one.... My friend with the new 8gs.....with my old pipe... Has a 12gs as well with the LV.....end cap looks identical.....just a we bigger...But in CF....

Erling
Old 03-10-2011, 10:53 PM   #4
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
you mention that the mid pipe is pretty much the same as the old one. If you can do me a favor......when you friend comes over with the old pipe, see if the bend in the new pipe is the same as the old one. I am hoping they bent it in a way so as to bring the inlet end of the carbon pipe closer to the center of the bike. On my existing LV carbon, the front of the pipe hits my racks and if they bent the new link pipe a bit more, it will eliminate this problem for me. Nice write up. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 04:00 AM   #5
lmclamore
Citation Collector

Oddometer: 404
Thanks for posting this ebrabaek! My non-carbon version is on the way but I assume it will have the same fitment issue. I look forward to your comparison report.
Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
you mention that the mid pipe is pretty much the same as the old one. If you can do me a favor......when you friend comes over with the old pipe, see if the bend in the new pipe is the same as the old one. I am hoping they bent it in a way so as to bring the inlet end of the carbon pipe closer to the center of the bike. On my existing LV carbon, the front of the pipe hits my racks and if they bent the new link pipe a bit more, it will eliminate this problem for me. Nice write up. oclv
I played a little with turning of the mid pipe while held still.....and I could change the angle of the pipe to the point that the 30mm spacer would fit..... But the pipe would be hanging too far down ( about 30mm) for the CF collar to reach. It could just be something on my bike.......And imho really not a big deal.......well at least for me. He said he`d be over today....So I will measure the angles of the mid pipe.

Erling
Old 03-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #7
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmclamore View Post
Thanks for posting this ebrabaek! My non-carbon version is on the way but I assume it will have the same fitment issue. I look forward to your comparison report.
Perhaps..... No bike are the same..... But in worst case.......you can just saw the 30mm bracket in half....... I could install is with the 30mm spacer....but did not like the torque put on the pipe.... and the stress on the CF collar.......

Erling
Old 03-11-2011, 08:27 AM   #8
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by oclv454 View Post
Preliminarily...... I will say that the angle is different. Not necessarily only at the mid pipe.... But a combo of the ever so slightly different pipe inlet, and the mid pipe..... The new pipe is a little wider.....on their spec sheet..... But I have a minimum of 7mm more clearance between the outer pipe, and my rack. When I welded it....I measured 5`ish mm distance....I now have 12..... Seing this, as I kept scratching my head...... I`d say LV listened to the concern from their customers, and incorporated this into the design on the LV ONE...... As we measure the old oval....I will verify this.....

Erling
Old 03-11-2011, 09:15 AM   #9
bodhizafa
How hard can it be?

Oddometer: 631
Just ordered the steel one yesterday. I'll add to this thread when I get it
Old 03-11-2011, 10:22 PM   #10
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

My fellow rider with my old can went to go to Big Ben state park in TX....
So I will post up the sae test on the new one in the am.... Then I`l add the SAE levels on his....when he get`s here....

Erling
Old 03-12-2011, 12:34 PM   #11
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

<<<< WARNING..... Croc`s are on the loose.....again>>>>
Ok....So a little house cleaning.....Stock vs. LV one.....

Stock......

LV One....Quite the weight savings.....

On to the SAE sound testing......
Stock at idle.......85 db.....Don`t mind the wicked pipe position ..... It don`t fit with the rack on.....

Video stock at idle......
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1379.mp4

Stock at SAE (4000 rpm, 20 inches, 45 deg. angle)..... 96 db...

Video of stock SAE.....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1382.mp4

LV one open ( no potato) idle.....91db...

Video LV One open... idle.....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1385.mp4

Sae LV One Open.......105 db.....

Video LV One SAE test.....Open....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1389.mp4

LV One with insert...( potato) idle....85 db....

Video of LV One with insert idle.....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1391.mp4

SAE test LV One with insert.....99 db....

Video LV One with insert SAE test....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1394.mp4

After a 30 mile ride....and idle for a few minutes.... I measured 145 deg F. at the beginning of the can....and 135 deg. F. at the end...... For your concerns about soft luggage proximity.... The pipe is very cool....no really....I mean cool to the touch.... Try that on a alloy can..... Riding impressions are great. It is very hard to base power of the seat of the pant`s......so with out a dyno..... I will leave this one. I will say this.... There are no loss of HP or torque...... For sure. I like the sound better than the oval LV pipe. This is biased though..... I will venture out on a limb here, and say that the new one ( LV One) is about 1 db louder..... Or so it sounds.... The oval one had a more harsh...less low freq. idle, and bark....whereas the new LV One has a lower trq. rumble at idle.... nice bark like the oval...... Just not as choked as the old one. Preliminary fuel mileage results....... I will say a slight increase over the oval, but I need to ride more to confirm this. Not sure of the reason here.....could be my imagination.......But the old sleeve is 30mm longer....but with an appearance of a longer end cap...... A shortening....even 30mm.... can have a affect of tq. and hp......in a good way on both.....The motor does not backfire as much as with the old oval LV pipe...... Not sure of the explanation there.....except for the ecm is still fine tuning the new flowing pipe. One final observation...... Riding the pipe.....overall it has a better sound to me than the old oval......again biased.....but a great awesome sounding pipe. When I get my hands on my fellow 8gs rider`s oval.... I will post up the results as well.......

Erling

ebrabaek screwed with this post 03-13-2011 at 09:09 AM
Old 03-15-2011, 06:06 PM   #12
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Sooooo.... finally got to measure my fellow 8GS riders bike that now has the old oval Leo Vince..... The findings were indeed interesting......The main difference was the tone...... The old oval had more mid range whereas the new LV one had more lower frq rumble......which was noticeable.... In a very nice way. The bike was positioned about the same....but since there have been a few days between the testing.... there could be a variation of about 1 db. Here we go......
Old oval Leo Vince with insert idle.......87db

Video of Leo Vince oval idle....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1413.mp4

Oval at SAE 4000 rpm with insert.....98db

Video of Leo Vince oval SAE 4000 rpm......
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1415.mp4

Leo Vince oval open idle.......93db

Video of Oval open idle.......
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1408.mp4

Oval SAE 4000 rpm open....103...( when I snapped....it went to 102...and then back to 103 db).....

Video of Oval SAE 4000rpm open.....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_1410.mp4

As you can see..... at idle...or at low rpm.... The new can is actually a bit quieter..... even at 30mm shorter sleeve..... But here is the kicker.... The exit at the end cap makes up for some of that. Old oval collar to collar was 407mm....and new one is 375mm...... But from beginning of front collar to top of the end cap.....old oval was 470mm.....new one was 465mm.....making up most of the loss. Interesting. You can hear the difference in sound....and I contribute this to the new packing material they used in their new pipe. Old oval had the loose packing material sort of poked in it..... Like in this video.....
http://s180.photobucket.com/albums/x...t=MVI_0162.mp4
Whereas the now one has a wrap style material in it. My experience is that the old stule does better at attenuating the sound....but does not last as long as the wrapping type. They have same effect on performance.... Other than that....they offer the same affect on performance. As far as the mid pipe...... There does appear to be a little difference in the angles..... Took the old mid pipe of his bike, and held it next to my new one...... It is hard to see on a 28mm lens.... But it did appear to me that the newer header beside being a little shorter....is angled inward towards the bike a little more. That is a good thing for people with luggage box issues..... That confirms the need for a thinner spacer.....imho.

So in summery..... The new pipe is a little quieter at low rpm`s..... bu 2db`s..... But as gasses speed up....they bypass the silencer part more....and can length is now dominating..... Thus at above 4000 rpm`s....the older oval was a little quieter, by 1-2db`s. This all makes sense to me..... But I would really like to put both systems on a dyno...... I have a feeling that the new one yields just a little more power as compared to the old one. The sound from the new one is killer...... awesome. Now I am just waiting on a extra plastic end cap from Leo Vince......so I can make a ehhhhhh.... carbon fiber cap to fit the other wise beautiful pipe.

Erling
Old 03-15-2011, 06:39 PM   #13
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,556
Excellent test. As of this AM I purchased one. My 80 year old neighbors will conduct the sound test.
Old 03-16-2011, 06:45 AM   #14
ebrabaek OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
Excellent test. As of this AM I purchased one. My 80 year old neighbors will conduct the sound test.
They say people cant hear much after 75..... They will dearly miss the low rumble......... It`s a great pipe... I`m sure you will love it...

Erling
Old 03-16-2011, 08:34 AM   #15
oclv454
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 289
ebrabaek, thanks for the research, reports, and follow ups. Great information. Thanks also for addressing my question about the angle of the mid pipe. I'll get one ordered on the next group purchase. oclv
oclv454 is offline   Reply With Quote