User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-11-2011, 04:37 PM   #91
thugdog
Druid Revisionist

Oddometer: 396

I'm not affiliated, but here's a recent e-mail i got from Shorai :

Shorai LFX have gotten tremendous reviews from our customers who have used them, and our initial sales were much higher than expected. We are currently out of stock. We have decided to upgrade the LFX batteries, including tougher terminals which are 50% thicker and do cell revisions for even better performance at high and low temperatures. But we are facing a substantial delay due to the new tooling required, and so it is likely that we not be re-stocked with LFX again until about the middle of April 2011.
We will post an announcement a few weeks before the next shipment arrives, and will re-enable the “Buy” buttons on the Shorai website then.
We apologize for the delay. In the long run, we believe that continuing to improve the best powersports battery can only be a good thing for all. Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Shorai Inc.

....there's nothing more permanent than a temporary solution
thugdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 05:31 PM   #92
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by thugdog View Post
We have decided to upgrade the LFX batteries, including tougher terminals which are 50% thicker and do cell revisions for even better performance at high and low temperatures.
Dam^#$! That's what I get for getting the newest tech. Mod 2 already in the works.

JK, I have just over 300 hours on my v1.0 18AH. My '03 950's charging system puts out 14.2 - 14.4 volts. After awhile at 14.2 volts, the amps drop to ~ 8 or 9 ma. When the engine is switched off the battery voltage is 14.2 volts and gradually tapers off until it settles around 13.3 v after 4-5 days. According to the Shorai website, 14.3 volts is 100% charged for these batteries. It doesn't look like that is possible with our bikes charging system. 90% charge looks like the max we can get with the Katoom. It may be that 14.3v is not a realistic goal anyways. I've talked to several guys who are using prismatic lifepo4 cells in their electric drive vehicles, and they all say they are only able to get 3.35 volts per cell relaxed. This is with special chargers designed to maximize lifepo cells.

Still looks like a good choice for our uses, if the rate of self discharge is as low as they say. Just make sure all parasitic drain is disconnected before parking the bike for a long time. If you don't put an ammeter on the battery, you won't know if there is something drawing on the battery when the engine is off. I'll bet that parasitic draw is the cause of many flat batteries on motorcycles. BTW, the clock draws 1.5ma. I've been pulling the clock fuse so I can keep an accurate track of the Shorai for research purposes, but won't bother after I find the nominal state of charge. Like a lead acid battery, don't let these discharge too low (<12.86v) or they won't even make a good boat anchor (too light).

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #93
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpmodem View Post
Dam^#$! That's what I get for getting the newest tech. Mod 2 already in the works.o

right there with ya.. got one of the first ones from ken at advmachines. Seems to work great on my 950, but my gas gas hates this battery.

I've had issues with it in the past when it's been below 30 degrees, but today it was 41, and it wouldn't turn over the motor. Part of the issue is the warm up it needs, i think. I also wonder if this thing was made for a full on dirt bike. I ride my bike about 3 days a week at Walker Valley ORV, (gnarly). Wonder if thrashing around v.1 of the battery was such a hot idea?
Old 03-11-2011, 08:15 PM   #94
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer: 4,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by markwoodlief View Post
right there with ya.. got one of the first ones from ken at advmachines. Seems to work great on my 950, but my gas gas hates this battery.

I've had issues with it in the past when it's been below 30 degrees, but today it was 41, and it wouldn't turn over the motor. Part of the issue is the warm up it needs, i think. I also wonder if this thing was made for a full on dirt bike. I ride my bike about 3 days a week at Walker Valley ORV, (gnarly). Wonder if thrashing around v.1 of the battery was such a hot idea?
The Joys of Early Adopters, but we can't help ourselves, we just gotta have it...

I think the v1.0's will hold up fine if you watch out for draining them too far.
cyborg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 05:55 PM   #95
MP5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
I'm in need of a new battery soon. My stock 08 battery was showing signs of gimpiness when i took it out last Oct., and stored it inside with all my other batts.

Am I to understand that these Shorais can be taken out and stored (inside at room temp) just like the regular lead batt. that came in my 990? And, I can charge it on my trickel charger every few months over the winter, like my OEM batt?
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 06:00 PM   #96
cpmodem
Orange Caveman

Oddometer: 7,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
I'm in need of a new battery soon. My stock 08 battery was showing signs of gimpiness when i took it out last Oct., and stored it inside with all my other batts.

Am I to understand that these Shorais can be taken out and stored (inside at room temp) just like the regular lead batt. that came in my 990? And, I can charge it on my trickel charger every few months over the winter, like my OEM batt?
If you take it out of the bike, or pull the ground wire, so there is no parasitic drain, you don't need to charge it over the winter.

-cp

DISCLAIMER: All observations made in this post are mine and based solely on my own anecdotal experiences, and may contain large doses of facetiousness. YMMV, of course. You are "on your own", and I take no responsibility if someone tries anything in this post and gets into trouble with the law, damages their person or property, or goes blind. Take everything you read or hear "anywhere" butt especially on the Web with a large dose of salt.

cpmodem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #97
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post

For very specific battery questions, I would suggest the manufacturer and they do answer emails.

tech@shorai.org

http://www.shoraipower.com/ContactUs.aspx

http://www.shoraipower.com/t-faq.aspx
Old 03-14-2011, 10:45 AM   #98
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,516
Put one in a week ago and got to see the cold-start scenario one morning shortly thereafter. It was in the low 40's (F).

It's pretty cool the way this battery works, and opposite of a normal lead-acid battery.

First attempt, nothing. Wouldn't even try to turn the engine over. With the stock battery this would mean it's time to bring out the charger.

Not so with the Shorai.

Because I had read all about the battery prior to purchase, I knew to press the start button and hold it for ten or fifteen seconds to warm up the battery.

Eureka! It cranked like crazy on the next attempt.

Technology is so kewl!

Another happy customer!

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 05:02 PM   #99
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,063
Anyone tried these in really cold temps? I'll ride down to about 15 degrees F as long as it's not icy. My '05 battery is just about at the end of its road, and the Shorai looks really interesting.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:38 PM   #100
cyborg OP
Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangecicle View Post
Anyone tried these in really cold temps? I'll ride down to about 15 degrees F as long as it's not icy. My '05 battery is just about at the end of its road, and the Shorai looks really interesting.
I was using mine down to 20F this winter. Just needs that pre-heat surge then it cranks great. See earlier posts by others about that.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:14 AM   #101
Hotspice
Satellites not acquired

Oddometer: 5,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyborg View Post
I was using mine down to 20F this winter. Just needs that pre-heat surge then it cranks great. See earlier posts by others about that.
Spot on with that. You can get the surge by pressing starter like MT did or (and what Shorai suggests) is turn the bike on with the headlight on for that same 10-15 seconds. Just enough to get the juices flowing.

Their design changes for this next round will be reducing the impact temperature has on the battery which will mean less time and in colder temps than you now experience.

Now we just need mid-april to roll around so we can get some reports back on the new version..

Get a SmugMug account and use coupon code DwHE0pDRjpJfw to save yourself $5.
Hotspice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 03:10 PM   #102
FINNDIAN
Mine goes to 11

Oddometer: 1,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotoTex View Post
Because I had read all about the battery prior to purchase, I knew to press the start button and hold it for ten or fifteen seconds to warm up the battery.

Eureka! It cranked like crazy on the next attempt.

Technology is so kewl!

Another happy customer!
Not sure holding the start button without the motor cranking would be a good idea. High current would be flowing through the starter brushes and most likely shortening the life of your starter.

I'll be doing some cold weather testing as soon as the snow melts off the roads.
The more side roads you stop to explore, the less likely that life will pass you by. ~Robert Brault. 2004 KTM 950 S GO!!!!(Blacked out),03 Beta Rev3, 1973 Rokon Trailbreaker 2x2, 1999 Intruder 1500, 08 Aprilia rxv450, 90 DRBIG 800,79GS850
Ride Reports
FINNDIAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2011, 11:12 PM   #103
scorpion
Two arm bandit

Oddometer: 5,343
Got the magical wonder battery today, we'll see how it performs. . . couldnt be a any worse then the stock. Man, the thing is LIGHT.
anyway, I used a little trick to get those pesky bolts lined up for the install. Used a bit of foam scrap as a shim, worked great.

Bike fired up like a moFo

07 KTM 990 11 Husaberg 390
scorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 07:09 AM   #104
Yascher
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by FINNDIAN View Post
Not sure holding the start button without the motor cranking would be a good idea. High current would be flowing through the starter brushes and most likely shortening the life of your starter.
+1 if not burning the coils at some moment, on the other hand if there is enough current it will just start cranking........headlight seems like a better idea, it's even recommended for normal batteries on cars in winter
Yascher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 11:05 PM   #105
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,516
Quote:
Originally Posted by yascher View Post
+1 if not burning the coils at some moment, on the other hand if there is enough current it will just start cranking........headlight seems like a better idea, it's even recommended for normal batteries on cars in winter
+1

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote