Yes 0 0%
No 3 100.00%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #1
wmax351 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Question Airhead Spline Collars

Hi everyone. I am working on restoring an R75/5 toaster. I just had the final drive rebuilt by Hansen's, and I am wondering about the spline dog/collar on the rear wheel. It seems to be in okay condition, but should I replace it as a matter of course? Will a slightly worn one affect the new splines?

Basically, what I want to know, is it worth 100 bucks to replace it. I have access to a machine shop at my college, so the difficulty of replacing it is not an issue. I will probably use Hi-Lock/shear Aircraft fasteners or tight tolerance bolts to install the new one, after knocking out the rivets. (At the suggestion of the Machinist at UC Berkeley.)
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:24 PM   #2
bmweuro
Mad Scientist

Oddometer: 3,313
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmax351 View Post
Hi everyone. I am working on restoring an R75/5 toaster. I just had the final drive rebuilt by Hansen's, and I am wondering about the spline dog/collar on the rear wheel. It seems to be in okay condition, but should I replace it as a matter of course? Will a slightly worn one affect the new splines?

Basically, what I want to know, is it worth 100 bucks to replace it. I have access to a machine shop at my college, so the difficulty of replacing it is not an issue. I will probably use Hi-Lock/shear Aircraft fasteners or tight tolerance bolts to install the new one, after knocking out the rivets. (At the suggestion of the Machinist at UC Berkeley.)
I would leave it alone. If you do replace it I like using the /6 and later one. It uses a larger rivet and a deeper spline.
VBMWMO #7770, BMW MOA #48694 & Airhead BMW Club #600
bmweuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Beamer Bum
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
Most wear is usually on the ring gear splines, but those rivets holding the wheel cup get loose. That is not good. If the cup is loose and you have to replace the rivets, then replace the cup. Otherwise grease the splines and ride it.
Beamer Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 01:24 AM   #4
wmax351 OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 743
Okay, I will just clean it out, and re-grease it with some moly-60. Thanks for the quick reply.
wmax351 is offline   Reply With Quote