ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Southeast, The Lair of the Dragon - The Blue Ridge and Smoky Mountains
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2011, 05:12 PM   #1
MItrnsplnt OP
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 655
Deals Gap/Robbinsville

Looking for a few good men to do some DS'ing with in and around the listed area. Every year me and bunch of buddies go to Deals Gap to do some riding (street and DS) and rent a cabin over by Fontana Dam in the mountains.....but this year some of the guys that I normally dualsport with aren't coming.......f-me!!!! So I was wondering if there's anyone from around that area that would like to do some riding....I'll be there from Apr 8-15 and have a '09 530EXC (if that helps). Downloaded a sweet 110 mile loop over by Tellico that looks just awesome.
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 08:46 PM   #2
JALnSC
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,031
Tellico plaines

Check with motomike at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters he is an inmate with an awsome shop.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM   #3
Land
Wanderer

Oddometer: 3,769
Quote:
Originally Posted by JALnSC View Post
Check with motomike at Tellico Motorcycle Outfitters he is an inmate with an awsome shop.
His username is actually Minimike, and touching base with him is a good idea.

Chris
Land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2011, 07:37 PM   #4
wickedthunder.com
Who's leading?!

Oddometer: 493
I'd also hit up Danny ('Tellico Camper' here on ADV) that owns Crawfords Campground in Murphy. Great guy and also a buddy of the previously mentioned MiniMike. His campground is a prime location for base camp also with some bunk cabins if you don't have a place booked already. And if you're lucky Danny will be available to be your guide for a day knowing some of the best riding around...

If you're plans are flexible on the date you may want to push your trip back a couple weeks and hit the yearly spring rally held at Crawfords instead...http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=665899
1411-A Hickory Blvd. SE
Lenoir, NC 28645
828-728-7633
M-F 9:30-5:30pm EST

06 DRZ400S (Blue)
03 GSXR1000 (Silver) "The Beast"
wickedthunder.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2011, 05:57 PM   #5
tellicotom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 175
I would be happy to join up with you... but I got that dreaded work thing to do. I'd advise you to pickup a National Geographic Trails Illustrated for that area, it shows about all the rideable roads.

Another good spot we've been riding lately is the National Forest Roads on the south side of the Ocoee River near Ducktown, TN. The roads start right out of ThunderRock (TR) Campground on the banks of the river. TR has nice sites and hot showers. There's a nice Mexican Rest in Copper Hill, TN ~ a 17 mile great dirt/gravel road ride then about 2 miles of pavement from TR. The road has many twisties and minimal traffic. There's also about a 100 mile loop that's nearly all dirt/gravel. The same map for the Tellico Area covers most of this region as well.

Another good spot would be on the eastern side of the Great Smokey Mtn National Park. We camped at Cosby Campground and rode Rt 32 (paved, butr extremely cool, over to Big Creek and then over Mt Sterling and on to the Cataloochee Valley to see the elk. Along the way, we did a side trip down and across I-40 to Max Patch, a beautiful bald with 360 deg views. That was probably about a 50 mile out and back all dirt ride from Mt Sterling Road, with alot of other options that we didn't have time to do I'm just scratching the surface in that area, but looking at the Nat Geo Trail maps, it seems very promising. I'll try and dig up some photos of the area and post. You might be right on time for the Cosby Ramp Festival.

Hope that gives you some ideas...
TellicoTom
tellicotom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:40 PM   #6
MItrnsplnt OP
PllnGs tillthey puke

Oddometer: 655
PM'd the above individuals, thanks for the advice.

TellicoTom, I'll check out the area that you said. I'll be there for the week, so if you need a getaway and want to ride, let me know!!
Rocky Mountain Ride 2011: Aspen to Crested Butte and back
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=723271
MItrnsplnt is offline   Reply With Quote