Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2011, 08:05 PM   #46
gsstampeder
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,044
Excellent!!! You guys are on one helluva ride. I was there last year and got totally lost in those mountain passes. Took us (myself and a coupla German fellas) two days to do this crossing. Those pics make me feel like I'm right there with you.....thank you

Keep 'er comin....
Old 03-13-2011, 10:42 PM   #47
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Subscribed...waiting for the the "surprise"
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 03:27 AM   #48
dochstader
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Gedster:

As usual, you are a great "Photo-journalist"! - no one captures the essence of the adventure like you do!

Ell Mur.
dochstader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #49
BajaDave
Crazy Bastard

Oddometer: 260
Regarding the bike not wanting to restart, you probably already figured this out, but the 690 EFI system has a tipover switch that shuts off the fuel pump after a laydown (safety feature). You have to cycle the ignition to reset it.

More!

GripTwister Dual Sport Tours
BajaDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 11:29 AM   #50
04klr
n00b

Oddometer: 2
Mur, Mur, Mur 3:27AM!!! c'mon go to bed.
great Stuff Ged!, thanks for putting this on-line, nice also to see a little green in a sea of orange!
not to hi-jack by any means, but as a filler while we wait for more, a link to a little 12min clip of our ride, thx Ged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlTu7xMv_c
04klr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 12:10 PM   #51
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,296
SubscrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrriBING!

That bus fekkin rocks! So does your thread....

Glad smell-o-vision hasn't been invented yet.

KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:05 PM   #52
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 861
Day One: (Cont'd):

So there we were....a group of 9 riders split into two groups: the group of six convened at the top of the first pass and ready to push on to Mission Guadalupe and then Mulege; the second group of three left to their own resources with our trusting that they would make it to Mulege without tragedy....unless tragedy had already struck.

We rode on in several clusters with Wayne and myself pulling up the rear. Wayne is a strong rider and tends to prefer to ride sweep for several reasons: one is to ensure no one is left behind and is motivated by his caring for others; a second is his desire to ride his own ride and not be eating dust or pushed by the pace of others when he may choose a different pace; and the third being his interest in photography.

The road varied from loose steep uphills to the usual rough roads meandering between dry river crossings distinguished by toaster-sized rocks as pavement .

When waiting at the first pass, two vaqueros guided several cows and a calf past us from the direction we had just come...the cows were nervous about my bike in the middle of the road (the other guys had moved theirs to the side) and took a detour through all sorts of cactus and prickly bushes. The poor vaqueros had to follow to keep the livestock directed back onto the road rather than scattering down the mountainside.

I felt bad about my laziness and leaving my bike in their path....and promise not to do that again. It is ironic as I get bothered on group rides when the cluster stops to convene but does so spread all over the road rather than by pulling off to the side to allow any other traffic through....this time I was "THAT GUY".

For another hour or more we would criss-cross paths with these vaqueros and it was stunning how they were always ahead of us with a herd increasing in size. I simply do not know how they did it , but this is their territory and they are the masters of it.

On the way up to the second pass my gas reserve light went on around the same time my 3-litre water pack dried up....which, unfortunately also coincided with me being dangerously close to bonking . I was carrying too much stuff for this level of riding, should have been on my 450 for this kind of stuff, and ....as I mentioned earlier, I am a fat guy with no excuses (aside from the two previously mentioned ).

I told Wayne that I was getting low on fuel despite having put at least 8 litres of fuel in the Safari auxiliary tank....and he commiserated that he too was getting close to being on reserve....and we had probably at least 75 kms before we got to Mulege...cause for both of us to worry.

I had opened the petcocks on the Safari tank at the top of the first pass as I wanted to shift some weight off the front of the bike... I thought that there is no way I used that much fuel even though the 690's fuel system was set to the high performance setting (i.e. thirstier mode) ! The Safari tank filler cap had a brand new stock KTM breather hose on it, the fuel lines were intact and there had not been any fuel leaks or spills that day.....so....WTF ???

I unscrewed the fuel cap to see how much gas was sloshing around when I heard the hissing sound of escaping air....or something like that. Fuel started to flow when I removed the gas cap....the vent valve on the cap had not been working and no fuel had transferred to the stock tank.....

One less thing to worry about now....just my physical stamina was the weak link at this point....not bike issues..... I assured Wayne that I had plenty of fuel and could transfer some to him when he needed it as he was already coasting the downhill sections to conserve fuel.

Wayne shared a bit of water and we wound our way down to the junction near the ruins of Mission Guadalupe. For me it was a hard slog but I was approaching an area where I have ridden a half-dozen times before....and that was somehow comforting.

Wayne and I rendezvoused at the bottom of the mountain section and I told him to go ahead as I knew where I was but needed to stop for a rest...I could make it to Mulege on my own, I assured him.

I sat for about 10 minutes before I heard some bikes coming along sort of from the direction I had just come. I looked through the brush and cactuses from the rock I was sitting on when I saw three bikes headed in the opposite direction I was going to take to Mulege. I thought, "Cool, there is another ride going on out here..." as I did not recognize their bikes.

As their path seemed to cross behind me, one of them noticed my bike and pulled up.....it was our Tres Amigos Perdidos from several hours earlier. Reid , Brian, and Lev figured their mistake out after coming to the end of a canyon and retraced their steps to the beginning of the base of the mountain section....

They were in great spirits.... As the sun would be setting within an hour or so, we all recognized the need to saddle up and continue south and then east to Mulege...and it was about 1.5 hours to Mulege from this point

I told them to go ahead and I would be along shortly....

I didn't see them for the next hour or more when it was dark and Reid was transferring fuel into Brian's Husaberg on the western outskirts of Mulege.

My ride to Mulege was based on sheer grit and determination to get to the stable....the road from Guadalupe to the San Estanislao junction was way rougher than any other time I had been on it (the last time was two years earlier and only two months after the last of the two recent hurricanes had devastated the area....roads were now rockbeds in many places and roads through river crossings were now obstacle courses strewn with rocks ranging from babyheads to microwaves in size....with the ubiquitous loose deep sand punctuating the already torturous route.

I came up to Reid and Brian and made sure things were okay....and they cheerfully acknowledged that it was a simple fuel transfer stop. I felt bad when I roosted them with silt when riding away....quite unintentionally....but more due to my exhausted and marginally conscious state of mind. I had been doing one of my hardest ride days EVER...and was looking forward to some rehydration and rest.

As I pulled up to the highway from the Ice House road in Mulege, Lev was stopped there....I pulled along side (on pavement here, so low roost factor)
and asked him if he knew how to get to La Hacienda. When he shook his head "No|, I told him to follow me and we wound through Mulege and came into the back entrance of La Hacienda and through the narrow passageway into the courtyard to the cheerful hellos, back-patting, and Tecate-offerings from those who had arrived about 20-30 minutes earlier.

So....despite the challenges of the day, a group getting "temporarily redirected", and my slow pace, the entire group arrived at the day's destination all within 30-45 minutes of one another.

Not too bad, really...

The group was staying at La Hcienda that night while I was staying with David at a fellow's place he knew along the river (southside) in the Orchards section. The guys told me that I was to meet David at a small gringo watering hole called Jungla Jim's as he had arrived a good 1/2 hour before me and had gone to secure our loaner home. After starting my essential rehydration with a few Tecates, I was preparing to ride over to connect with David when he appeared at La Hacienda. Some quick dinner planning was arranged and the gang agreed to my recommendation to walk down the block to Las Casistas for dinner in about 45 minutes. David and I rode over to the river house and I unloaded, showered, and we returned to town for a great meal, fabulous margaritas (Las Casitas has THE BEST margs in all of my Baja research ....based on numerous Marg Tours up and down the Peninsula), and a great ride-review chatter amongst the group.

It seemed that it was at this point that David and I began to make our connection and develop our budding friendship. We had shared a grueling day with many miles and rough spots in common, we were happy to finally be riding after so much trip anticipation, and we had 9 more days of riding ahead of us...:ri cky

Baja '05 , Baja 06/07 , Baja 08/09 , BC Alpine Single Track

motoged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM   #53
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BajaDave View Post
Regarding the bike not wanting to restart, you probably already figured this out, but the 690 EFI system has a tipover switch that shuts off the fuel pump after a laydown (safety feature). You have to cycle the ignition to reset it.

More!
Dave,
Yeah, I tested that feature of the 690 several times on this trip

The Trail Tech Eclipse HID I bought from you led me safely for an hour in the dark and dust to Mulege on Day One....Thanks for that.

David had the same unit but in a halogen bulb....I prefer my HID over the halogen having seen them side-by-side at night

Old 03-14-2011, 02:33 PM   #54
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04klr View Post
Mur, Mur, Mur 3:27AM!!! c'mon go to bed.
great Stuff Ged!, thanks for putting this on-line, nice also to see a little green in a sea of orange!
not to hi-jack by any means, but as a filler while we wait for more, a link to a little 12min clip of our ride, thx Ged.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUlTu7xMv_c
Wayne,
Thanks for adding your video of the trip to this thread...

For the readers of this ride report: Wayne's video mostly represents the route the other seven guys took south out of Mulege to Los Cabos and back to San Ignacio....my ride report so far represents our trip up to the end of Day One...David and I separated for a different route after Day One.

Some of the images in Wayne's video represents some of the more technical riding I wanted to avoid on the 690...while some of the images parallel stuff David and I rode....

You get the idea

motoged screwed with this post 03-14-2011 at 06:47 PM
Old 03-14-2011, 05:27 PM   #55
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRUSERIOUS? View Post
Glad smell-o-vision hasn't been invented yet.
K,
Well....you could sniff your finger and use your imagination...

Old 03-14-2011, 06:29 PM   #56
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Day Two: Around Mulege and Bahia Concepcion

David and I met the guys at La Hacienda around breakfast time, yakked a bit, and went to Las Casistas for breakfast.

The gang was getting ready to ride from Mulege west a bit and then south through the route to San Jose de Guajademi to San Isidro and continue through to San Jose Comondu and then to Loreto for the day's ride ...

Randall (L.) and Ross sorting stuff out:

Lev (L.) and Reid doing the same:

David oversaw the entire event and, as he was new to us all, he sat back and bit his tongue while Ross captured the moment for his posterior....er, I mean "posterity" ...

The gang made their way out of the courtyard, not to be seen for another 10 days or so....Wayne's video posted in a reply above catches the gist of their ride.

David and I returned to the river house and we did a bit of bike maintenance:
- air filters were clean;
- no flats;
- bolts tightened;
- oil levels OK

.....so we geared up for a cruise south out of town to visit friends and acquaintances along Bahia Concepcion... a mellow pavement ride along some of Baja's prettiest coastline.

Isla Requeson:

Our first stop at Bahia Coyote was short as "Pompano" was away somewhere locally from the beautiful home there that he had recently sold...his RV was his temporary home for the time being and rumour had it that he was going to the Pacific side of Panama for his next venture in exotic homesteading....and most excellent fishing.

We rode further south to Buena Ventura to visit an acquaintance of David's who runs a shoreline restaurant.

We had a beer and some agua before returning to Mulege where I wanted to drop in and visit with a fellow who seemed to be doing something pretty close to what I have been considering for some years ....running away to Baja with an Airstream in tow...

Richard has been staying at Cuesta Real for at least the past several months, a lovely riverside motel/RV that I have stayed at previously...

And he is equipped in a very classical way:

While we visited for only a short while, it was great to meet Richard. Clearly a creative guy...

More about his travels:
http://360panoramas.com/

David and I then returned to the riverhouse a few blocks away, puttered around a bit and then went looking for dinner. We first went to some new place south of town on the highway but it was packed with gringo RVers and a local Traditional dance presentation. As it was packed with folks and reservations, we had a beer and decided to go back to town and eat at Equipales, a great upstairs restaurant. A good meal was had and we returned to the house ...as we need to recoup from such a strenuous day.

We decided that evening that Day #3 would be up to the tip of Punta Concepcion... the peninsula that creates and defines Bahia Concepcion.

I had camped there in 1995 for 3 days on my first Baja moto-adventure and had returned to the southern part on other recent rides ('05 and '07)...

David had also been there a few times and wanted to revisit a northern canyon leading to the Sea of Cortez.

The plan sounded good to me

motoged screwed with this post 03-15-2011 at 01:34 PM
Old 03-14-2011, 06:43 PM   #57
KLRUSERIOUS?
Farkle-whore

Oddometer: 2,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoged View Post
K,
Well....you could sniff your finger and use your imagination...
I'm just glad you didn't say my thumb!
KLRUSERIOUS? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:21 PM   #58
sarkmych
Adventurer

Oddometer: 64
Awesome!!....just awesome!!Oh, how I miss Mulege.....Las Casitas martgaritas that'll change your day, and the soothing sounds of.... Marvin....

07' WR450F
sarkmych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:24 PM   #59
Crazylegs Bob
Tiger Tamer

Oddometer: 109
Thanks for showing the rest of us FF's how to REALLY LIVE!
Crazylegs Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 02:22 PM   #60
motoged OP
Studly Adventurer

Day Three: Exploring Bahia Concepcion Peninsula...

The plan for the day was to explore the west side of the peninsula that defines Bahia Concepcion from the Sea of Cortez.

The paved ride to the south end of the bahia was simple and scenic. There was some road reconstruction being done in several places as bridges were being built where some of the highway had been damaged in hurricanes over the past few years...and the construction looked competent.

David and I dropped in again at Bahia Coyote to say hello to a Baja Nomad, "Pompano"....if we could find him. Fortunately he was there and we had a brief hello/chat. As we were geared to ride, we did not accept his kind offer of cerveza...but continued on.

"Pompano" is a type of fish...

that in no way resembles Roger...

Well.....maybe a few things in common ....but I think he took on the tag as he is an avid fisherman.

We rode on...

The sand flats at the foot of the bay invited some speed trials, but gullies and washouts along the track soon brought us to our senses.

After a few miles we headed north along a twisty double-track that was mostly sand and rocks, with occasional hardpack and beach...

About a third of the way up the peninsula, David found a track leading to a place we were hoping to find. He brought me to a stop...

at a turnoff that offered "excellent ubication" !!!

We had a break and wondered out loud for a while...."What the hell is ubication?"

As we were to learn a week later in Bahia Asuncion that "ubicacion" is Spanish for "the state or quality of being located or situated"....so, it seems it was a good spot we were headed to.