User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-07-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
conchscooter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Florida Keys Day Trip

Last Friday was the usual winter fare, sunny and breezy with temperatures in the low 80s so Chuck and I went looking for pizza.

We found it at one of the better known "secrets" of the Lower Keys.

No Name Pub is actually located at the northern edge of Big Pine Key and makes a big play of being hard to find, unless you are able to follow the soigns the three miles from the Overseas Highway...

They say the place has possibly 70,000 one dollar bills hanging from the rafters and walls and many people think it sells the best pizza in the Lower Keys. Pizza is pizza but we managed to finish off much of a 14 inch pie, easy to do while talking bikes.

Chuck lives in Key West, works as an engineer currently spolitting his time between Guam and home, and for a hobby collects not functioning bikes, gets them running and as the mood (and the wife) takes him shuffles the restored machines on to some other lover of old bikes. His 1985 cast iron Sportster is a keeper, he says.

Chain drive, four speed gearbox, disc brakes fore and aft, and as easy to ride as a scooter, this is Chuck's daily rider. At home he's restored a Sears Twingle while starting work on a BSA 650 caff racer.
Me? I am a wrenching wuss as I prefer to commute by Modern Bonneville.

After lunch we hedaded back to Highway One, the only road through the Keys, and headed north twenty miles to Marathon where Chuck wanted to check out a possible new project.

It was alovely windy day, with gusts to 30 miles an hour giving the turquoise waters a head of white frothy waves on either side of the highway.

The Seven Mile Bridge was good and gusty but it was no problem for a couple of old farts and their bikes.

Marathon is the city in the middle of the Florida Keys, Mile Marker 50,
that amounts to a wide spot in Highway One, four lanes of nothing
too pretty to look at.

This is Chuck's first Harley and he loves it.

He's been living in Key West for half a dozen years after a busy life Up North and it's a bad day for him if he has to wear shoes.

We found the Suzuki GS1000 on a back street where it's been living for three years in darkness and silence after blowing the head gasket. Chuck had one years ago and wanted to restore it but the asking price seemed unreasonable so it was back to the garage for this forgotten gem.

Funnily enough after we looked at the old bike we stopped for gas and bumped into another barn find, this one restored only to running condition, a Honda 500 Four running beuatifully and down for the day, 150 miles from Fort Lauderdale.

It's owner grinned cheerfully as he volunteered he paid $100 to get this forgotten machine out of a barn....

We paid the usual $3.70 for a gallon of regular and pointed our rides south.

I spottged this elderly Yamaha in a shop on Big Pine Key and wondered if Chuck ever owned one of these?

It was a good day for a ride, mixing it up with all the V twins down from the mainland as Florida goes through the closing ceremonies of winter at Daytona Bike Week.

I love the heat and quiet pace of summer in the Florida Keys, and it can't come too soon. Hurricanes be damned.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2011, 11:07 AM   #2
Daryl A
Adventurer

Oddometer: 63
Nice report. Thanks. One day, I've got to get down there.
Daryl A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #3
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 716
Sweet while i:m enduring a brutal northeast winter this is like a little slice of heaven

dig your blog too

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #4
Bryn1203
Dances with spaniels

Oddometer: 1,816
Nice little insight of your neck of the woods.

Get $5 off Smugmug - use this code NxRfLxbR5xhlE
Bryn1203 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2011, 03:27 AM   #5
GerryL
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 129
Nice! I was down there a few years ago; I took an ultralight flight around Key West which was pretty cool. We also stopped in Marathon to eat, but I can't remember the name of the place. It was east of the highway and down the road a bit. Outdoor bar on the 2nd level overlooking a canal or some such water. Nice place, I'd like to get back.
I'm actually heading to central FL tomorrow, but won't have time to get down to the Keys on this trip. :-(
Hopefully by the time I get home the ice is out of my driveway and I can get a bike out...of course then it'll be mud season. But that won't stop me.
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
conchscooter OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,729
Burdines

That upstairs eatery is called Burdines on 15th street at the south end of marathon. I would have happily eatn there or at Sparky's in Key Colony Beach but Chuck had his heart set on No Name pizza- which was fine.

I am in Central Florida this week on a family break and it is far too cold at night for my taste.

IBA#39,523
conchscooter is offline   Reply With Quote