Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-31-2006, 08:50 AM   #61
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdcyclist
...the Audiovox unit has an upper limit on VSS pulses/mile of 8k.
The GS sensor is probably around 80k per mile. Not even close!!
Old 10-31-2006, 07:10 PM   #62
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,887
Quote:
As I recall, the groove only wraps around the front of the twist grip tube. I suppose if you could make a housing cover with a return cable provision and the tube was groovy enough then a push-pull throttle system could be retrofitted.

This issue irritated me to no end since the Bowden cable box was set up for the return cable but the throttle assembly didn't have any way to make it work. Seems stupid to me...
What about the possibility of just eliminating the BMW throttle grip assembly and buy something designed for a "pure" dirt bike and butting it up against the switchgear on the right grip? I've seen some pretty compact ones but never looked really closely. Definitely though they were double cable.

As a side note there are some cables made for push/pull work but they're heavy thick and expensive. Doubt they'd make for a good solution. I've never had a return ability in my cars and trucks so I wouldn't worry too much about that part.

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:08 PM   #63
Crilly
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 718
The reason I asked about it turning off going down hill is because some of the new bikes turn off the ignition when the throttle is closed. But by the poping of the GS i guess they do not. My Buell and V-rod would shut the cruse control off. Thats is why I went with the proxcimity switch.
Crilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:29 PM   #64
rprade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
I know I am late on this thread, but I m working on a cruise control for my K1200S and will be on my soon delivered R1200GSA. I chose the Rostra electronic cruise control to avoid the need for a vacuum accumulator for a vacuum actuator. The K1200S and the R1200GS have a connector near the front of the bike for connection to the GPS accessory. This connector has three wires:

Brown = ground (pin 1)
Blue/Green = TAA (pin 2)
Red/White = switched power (pin 3)

I will be hanging a scope off of the TAA lead next weekend, but I am fairly sure it is a conditioned speed pulse from the ZFE (chassis control module). This would be used by a GPS employing dead reckoning, not currently used by BMW. The Rostra unit also looks at an engine tach pulse and disengages the cruise control in the event of throttle runaway.

The Rostra has all of the electronics and a throttle servo in one module and can be purchased for about $200. Here is a link to Rostra controls website.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
rprade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 08:47 PM   #65
johnjen
Mod-U-Later

Oddometer: 15,325
This thread has HoW written all over it...

JJ

WingMakers.com
Collected Works of the WingMakers Volume 1 pg. 590
johnjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:40 AM   #66
AntonLargiader
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,126
Quote:
Originally Posted by rprade
I will be hanging a scope off of the TAA lead next weekend, but I am fairly sure it is a conditioned speed pulse from the ZFE (chassis control module).
Yes indeed, TAA is a conditioned speed signal. I hadn't realized it was there on the earlier Hexheads but it is. The GS should have it as well.
Old 11-13-2006, 08:40 AM   #67
daGeeeze
Geeezed lightning

Oddometer: 1,887
sweet. I'd heard about this but hadn't see details.

Quote:
The K1200S and the R1200GS have a connector near the front of the bike for connection to the GPS accessory. This connector has three wires:

Brown = ground (pin 1)
Blue/Green = TAA (pin 2)

I will be hanging a scope off of the TAA lead next weekend, but I am fairly sure it is a conditioned speed pulse from the ZFE (chassis control module). This would be used by a GPS employing dead reckoning, not currently used by BMW. The Rostra unit also looks at an engine tach pulse and disengages the cruise control in the event of throttle runaway.

The Rostra has all of the electronics and a throttle servo in one module and can be purchased for about $200. Here is a link to Rostra controls website.
Great news. Plus I also have that unit already; just no time to install it or expiriment with it. Any plans on cable handling?

Thanks and keep us posted please!

Pat aka Geeeze
daGeeeze is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 10:29 AM   #68
rprade
Adventurer

Oddometer: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by daGeeeze
Great news. Plus I also have that unit already; just no time to install it or expiriment with it. Any plans on cable handling?

Thanks and keep us posted please!
My GS won't be here until the end of the month, but I am starting on the K1200S this weekend. That will allow me to resolve some of the issues such as interfacing the brake (and clutch, if possible), power, tach pulse, and control switching. Hopefully resolving those issues will make the install on the GS a little easier.

For cable handling, I am going to look at parts data tomorrow and see what can be done to turn the GS throttle cable splitter into one like the RT uses. I am hopeful that the parts can be ordered to convert the GS splitter. I will not try to add the second cable back up to the throttle grip, but would like to interface the cruise servo to the cable splitter in the same fashion as on the RT.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards.
rprade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 01:39 PM   #69
bonox OP
Tryin Hard

Oddometer: 2,933
bonox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 08:44 AM   #70
lemonhart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 31
Audio Vox cruise control install

I am in the middle of installing a AudioVox ccs 100 and and was wondering.
Did anyone ever come up with a definitive answer as to whether this does in fact work as a VSS signal for the cruise control?
Also if it works does that mean you don't need to tap into the coil and if you still do where is the best place to do it?
TIA

Quote:
I know I am late on this thread, but I m working on a cruise control for my K1200S and will be on my soon delivered R1200GSA. I chose the Rostra electronic cruise control to avoid the need for a vacuum accumulator for a vacuum actuator. The K1200S and the R1200GS have a connector near the front of the bike for connection to the GPS accessory. This connector has three wires:

Brown = ground (pin 1)
Blue/Green = TAA (pin 2)

lemonhart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM   #71
Poolside
Syndicated

Oddometer: 11,726

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonhart
Did anyone ever come up with a definitive answer as to whether this does in fact work as a VSS signal for the cruise control?

Quote:
...the Audiovox unit has an upper limit on VSS pulses/mile of 8k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
The GS sensor is probably around 80k per mile. Not even close!!
Quote:
The K1200S and the R1200GS have a connector near the front of the bike for connection to the GPS accessory. This connector has three wires:

Brown = ground (pin 1)
Blue/Green = TAA (pin 2)

I will be hanging a scope off of the TAA lead next weekend, but I am fairly sure it is a conditioned speed pulse from the ZFE (chassis control module).
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader
Yes indeed, TAA is a conditioned speed signal. I hadn't realized it was there on the earlier Hexheads but it is. The GS should have it as well.
It looks like the VR sensor is too 'fast' for the Audiovox. Go for seeing about using the TAA signal.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Poolside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #72
kpavey
K12Sman

Oddometer: 5
TAA signal

So did you manage to get the VSS to work with the cruise kit? Has anyone measured the VSS signal, and can characterise it? Square wave, 5V, analogue, with variable pulse width wrt speed?
kpavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:06 PM   #73
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpavey View Post
So did you manage to get the VSS to work with the cruise kit? Has anyone measured the VSS signal, and can characterise it? Square wave, 5V, analogue, with variable pulse width wrt speed?
This is a guess, but it isn't a wild guess. The TAA signal is probably a digital signal, with a variable frequency wrt speed.

In the case of the BMW motos, it is a 'manufactured' signal based on a the sinusoidal signal from Variable Reluctance wheel speed sensor.

Some automobiles use the term VSS to describe the signal from the pickup on the transmission output shaft.

With a couple of different checks with a good digital meter you can probably get a good enough 'picture' of the signal to know if it will work with the cruise control.

IICE Air Hotrod your GS  Fuel Injection  Tech Info  Buy  Order List  Installation
Old 03-15-2011, 11:21 AM   #74
dede
Lefty

Oddometer: 162
With a couple of different checks with a good digital meter you can probably get a good enough 'picture' of the signal to know if it will work with the cruise control.

[/QUOTE]

Poolside; Please describe in layman's terms the tests you refure to here, I have the unit hooked up and passing the testing cycle but don't know how to check the pulse count. I am using the three prong plug under the beak on a 2009 GS as described in a nearlier post with a Rostra CC. I need the pulse count to set the dip switches to the proper range. The only reading I get with a digital meter set to VDC is 12V.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:33 PM   #75
Poolside
Syndicated

Quote:
Originally Posted by dede View Post

Poolside; Please describe in layman's terms the tests you refure to here, I have the unit hooked up and passing the testing cycle but don't know how to check the pulse count.

I am using the three prong plug under the beak on a 2009 GS as described in a nearlier post with a Rostra CC. I need the pulse count to set the dip switches to the proper range. The only reading I get with a digital meter set to VDC is 12V.
We'll give it a try.

First, I have no idea what "passing the testing cycle" might mean.

What does the meter read on VAC with the wheel spinning?

Most digital meters have a frequency counter, does your meter have one?